*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138419-Mystery-Weekend
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2138419
Flash Fiction
Mystery Weekend

I went to the mystery weekend with my friend because she assured me it was going to be so much fun. So much for fun... I was bored stiff. I solved the mystery in half an hour, but of course, couldn’t ruin it for the guests that were spending another two days there. So I’d wandered off to pass the time, ending up in the library of the old house.

There were chairs and sofas, shelves of books and a large table with a jigsaw puzzle started on it. An invitation to continue I assumed. I sat at the table looking out the window, eventually drawn to the puzzle. I never liked them, but this one seemed to be different, not a country scene or animals as usual. I began to putter absentmindedly. Soon realizing the design was words, a poem it turned out. Once all the words were in place, since I was still alone, I read it out-loud.

“Choose your life wisely
Don’t waste it away.
If you want more,
Why not start today?

Close your eyes.”

That was so odd! What kind of a puzzle was this? Maybe for children learning to read? I laughed, but... just to make the puzzle complete, I closed my eyes.

When I opened them, I was in a thick forest. I was dressed a bit like Robin Hood, with a long bow in my right hand. Did I fall asleep?

Suddenly a loud roar reverberated through the trees. This was real. I crouched, listening to the roar, I had to get away. My heart was pounding fiercely as I crept off, shortly finding a cave to crouch in. I didn’t know how I’d gotten here, but my life was no longer boring. I glanced out of the cave, smiling.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138419-Mystery-Weekend