*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138904-Times-Up
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #2138904
A short story dealing with the product of severe depression and self harm.
The knife felt cold in my hand, but slowly it was warming to the touch of my pale skin. I placed the shimmering blade hard against the vein on my wrist. I bit my lip anticipating the sharp pain I was about to feel as I whipped the knife away so that it cut through my skin and split the vein.

I thought about why I was doing this, what had started it. Guilt poured out of my mind and spread out, reaching into every part of my body causing every inch of me to ache. I could feel the tears coming as the intense guilt began to crush my heart and lungs. It wouldn’t stop. It’s me, my existence hurts people and therefore, I need to go.

That’s why I did it. I looked at the knife still poised in my hands and pushed down so that my skin folded up around the sides. As quickly as I could I pulled the blade across my skin, much like ripping off a plaster.

For one sickening moment I couldn’t breathe, and I sat stunned. In the moment after I realised how much I wanted it, needed it. I inhaled and then panted as the pain tingled. I closed my eyes to stop the tears, but the spilled from the corners and I failed to stop them.

When I could face looking down, I realised I had clenched my hand. I didn’t remember doing this but when I opened it once more I realised why I had. There was blood. At first, little beads of gleaming red against the pale beige of my scarred skin. Slowly, as I watched it the beads grew and in a strange unnatural way I thought about its gruesome beauty.

I thought of her and I knew this wasn’t enough. The guilt was still crushing me internally and now a new guilt was added to my list. My family, friends. If I lived they’d see the scar and I couldn’t let that happen. My only chance now was to die, once I’m dead, it won’t hurt anymore. Once I’m dead I won’t feel the pain in my wrist or the crushing guilt and my friends and family, they are free from hurt, they can move on. I had committed and I had to continue, there was no backing out now.

So I swapped hands, my weakened hand now holding the unclean blade. My head spun and I knew I didn’t have much time before passing out. It had to be now. I looked at my wrist and then up at my hand. This hand was my favourite, I know that sounds stupid, a childish notion. However, this hand was my writing hand, this hand drew, it painted. With this hand I could create images of beauty and for me, this was my greatest sacrifice.

Cautiously I lined the blade up with my vein and pressed, inhaling deeply as the other cut opened more. My head swirled as I bit my lip to help hold my breath.

“I don’t know what’s coming but I hope I’ll be numb.” I thought to myself, those are my last words and I repeated them a little louder. They weren’t the best last words but then I wasn’t the best person and for reason last words were important to me even though I knew nobody had heard them but me.

With those last words in mind I yanked the blade across my skin with one last desperate hope. My hand was to weak, it didn’t cut. My breathing quickened and my eyes widened as I realised I’d failed again. My head felt heavy and I saw black spots, suddenly I was so hot. I blinked trying to see, slashing and sawing at my wrist with the knife I still couldn’t fathom what was happening. That was it.

“Times up…” I whispered as my grip loosened on the knife and my vision went black.
© Copyright 2017 Claire Lautman (mordredsbane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138904-Times-Up