*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140080-New-Beginnings
Rated: E · Novella · Other · #2140080
A short 500 word microfiction.

When Rebecca saw the Position Vacant in the Sunday Herald she knew instantly this was the job for her. She applied straight away and to her surprise, was the only one who did. She got the job.
Light house Keeper, at Devils Point.
This was exactly what she needed after a bitter breakup. Now in her mid-50’s, and all the children living their own lives, Rebecca had the freedom to do what was right for her for the first time in her life. Some solitude at Devils Point for a couple of years sounded perfect.
Rebecca knew the area. It was remote and rugged, surrounded by steep cliff faces and grassy moors. There was a small Keepers Cottage next to the light house and a boat that visited once a month with supplies. All Rebecca had to do was Keep a daily log book and keep the lighthouse operating. Apart from one access point from the sea, the only way in or out was along the brink of the cliff face that linked the small area where the light house was to the mainland, with sheer drops on either side.
A week later, Rebecca was on a small boat being ferried to Devils point. The boat owner, Rodney, was a large beer bellied jovial man who, along with his boat hand Trev, would be checking in on Rebecca and running out the monthly supplies. When they arrived, Rodney and Trev helped Rebecca with her bags and boxes of food up the narrow pathway that led to the Light House.
The Cottage was homely and snug with a large fireplace. There was a kitchenette along one wall, a couch and a bedroom off the main room divided by a curtain. There was a two way radio in one corner that would be Rebecca’s only link to the outside world. Outside there was an outhouse and a small shed filled with firewood, with a chopping block and axe outside the front of it.
Rodney spent most of the afternoon with Rebecca showing her how to operate the radio and showing her around the light house. At the top of the light house was a small office with a two way radio and desk with a large log book that looked very old and worn. Next to it was several pages of hand over instructions.
The Light House lamp was and Incandescent Oil Vapor Lamp that ran off Kerosene. Rebecca also had Kerosene lamps to light the Cottage at night.
After Rodney left, Rebecca stood on the edge of the cliff face watching the small boat fade into the distance. With an over whelming sense of freedom, she raised her arms and screamed the loudest scream she could muster.
After releasing years of frustration and anger, Rebecca went to the cottage and made herself a cup of tea. Without unpacking, she headed up to the Light House, her Light House, to begin her new job.
© Copyright 2017 CMac Writer (cmacwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140080-New-Beginnings