*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140082-Too-Childish-For-College
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2140082
A girl annoyed with the college life ends up with a mysterious disease.
"What do you mean my essays suck? You suck." Emma said with a more than moderate amount of fire in her words.

"I mean what I mean Em, your essays suck and you deserved that bad grade so stop complaining." her companion, Hans said as they walked across the university campus. "I'm serious here."

Hans gestured at a bench and they made their way towards it and sat. Emma was radiating a dark aura that repelled any bystanders.

"But I read boatloads of info on the subject before writing. I'm telling you the teacher is evil. If this world had any justice right now I'd be undercover and pursuing him while he does his evil deeds." Emma made a gun with her hands and 'fired' at a few of the nearby trees.

"You're childish in more ways than one Em. This." Hans motioned at her antics. "Not to mention you can't write opinion essays. You just read up a few things, memorize them and write them as facts."

"Who gives a damn about my opinions." Emma protested. Hans sighed.

"Em I know you're the best at memorizing info, in fact I envy you, but you're not good at critical thinking. You're kinda immature for college don't you think? Go to high school they'll love you there." Hans said in a joking manner.

"Hey I'm just here so I can get a job later on. Okay? Maybe I don't want to think about things that don't interest." Her index finger exploded in pain for a single moment. There was a flash of blood. Emma let out a piercing scream. Everything was dizzy and wobbly.

For some time she only saw figures, limbs and concerned faces. The inside of an ambulance. Hans was above her holding her left hand.

There was blackness and then she woke up in a room.

She felt normal. She moved her thumb up her index finger. It was covered in bandages. Her thumb traced the bandages until they ended below where her finger should end. Though that wasn't right as the finger ended with the bandages.

As expected. There wasn't a joint there anymore, it had exploded and sent part of her finger flying.

She listened the voices from behind her door.

"What do you mean by 'new incurable disease'? Since when do diseases affect your bloody DNA and turn your joints into bloody C4? Since when do diseases make your joints explode every six days?" that of course was Hans. She looked around her room. Her parents had left her a bunch of books and a laptop.

"Sire, I understand why you're less than pleased with the situation but at the moment we can only offer your friend an indefinite stay at this hospital and 24 hour care, provided by the young lady's parents along with personal lectures."

Emma smiled. Those two were great parents sometimes. Now she didn't have to spend time catching up.

"Screw that! There's gonna be a way." Hans was being way too noisy. Just let the doctors handle their job man.

"There is something but it's experimental." the voices were becoming hushed and eventually disappeared.

Emma shook her head and took a book from her cupboard. She peeked at the calendar. One year, three months and four days till the end of this stupid education.

Six days later, the remaining two joints in her index finger blew up. There was a scream and later in her doped up state she spent five minutes giggling at the spiderweb crack her finger had created in the wall.

In the morning she gave a mock pout at the crack had been covered.

Six days later. One by one the three joints in her middle finger blew up and sent the finger parts flying like bullets at the wall and finally a one joint in her ring finger exploded sending the top flying off. The screams of pain were more like yelps this time. In her doped up state she talked to the nurse about how cool her finger guns were and threatened to 'fire' her several times.

Five days later she was anticipating the climax of the next day. Hans came bursting in through the door.

"Em! I did it. I found a way to safe you. There's this company DestructionOOD that's working on creating a healing factor. It won't cure you but let me write them and."

"No." Emma cut him off. Hans looked confused. "I'll write them myself Hans, don't insult me. I'm not a child." she snapped. Seeing his sad expression though, she relented. "I'll call you when I write okay? You can bring over some pizza and we can have a cheer." she gave him a smile which he returned. "Now scram. I'm researching them."

When she heard the door close she pulled out her laptop.

"A weapon manufacturing company I see."

Emma then proceeded to spent 5 hours describing her condition in detail. Everything a professional third party might write. It sounded more like a doctor talking about a patient than a person pleading for help.

In the end she wrote: "So please help."

She nodded looking at the professional form. Guess she cared about herself as much as she did for homework.

Emma placed her pinky over the 'Enter' button but didn't click it. She spent about thirty minutes staring at her pinky. Just analyzing it, getting a feel of it.

Finally she felt a tingling. She pointed her hand at the wall and pushed at the tingling. Emma watched the explosion split her skin and splattered blood as it fired the finger into the wall hard enough to pierce through it.

She panted with a smile on her face.

"Please turn me into a weapon." she corrected her last sentence.

A man sat in front of a desk. Emma approached him and pressed her index finger against his throat.

"Mr. Edger, how are you? You were the one that used to give me poor marks right?" she said in his ear. He was trembling.

"Emma is that you? What are you?" she cut him off.

"Killing my teacher because he gave me poor marks. Solving problems with violence. Childish things right? Guess I'm not mature enough for college. Good thing I found a sweet gig. No critical thinking required!"

Five joints exploded and five fingers embedded themselves into the man's neck. As he lay on the floor gasping for breath, Emma walked away. Already, her fingers were regenerating themselves, muscles, bones, joints and all.

"Everything's just like I always dreamed!" she squealed to herself.

© Copyright 2017 roaringjojo (roaringjo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140082-Too-Childish-For-College