*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143563-Guardians-of-the-night
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2143563
Introduction to my first SciFi novel
Rage thunders through the cloudless night skies. Shrieks of fury engulf the waves of faceless shadows consuming my mind. Each bolt of fire feeds the quivering nightmares haunting this starless night. No, this storm is not a natural sight - it is alive!
Watching through the bottomless oceans of suffocating emptiness, I hear its voiceless echoes terrorising the skeletons in my mind. This nightmare knows the past, sees the future and molds the present. As another flash of fury burns through emptiness around me, its blistering touch races through my memory to find the moment this ordeal began. This is the night that stole my life - the shadows have returned.
Beyond the window, here and now, resound the sirens of that moment. Twirling blue lights danced across my bedroom floor as I heard the voices of the police. “We are so sorry,” their quivers pierced my heart through the stone walls hiding my childish world. “There was an accident...” It was a cloudless storm, just like the one tonight, that stole them. While the torrents of thunder lashed out from the space night deep, time came to a grinding halt. This horror tale swallowed my parents whole.
Officially, they died in a car crash.
Strangely, there were no marks leading off the bridge. Their car never touched the railing. Its like the bridge beneath them merely vanished, dropping them into the churning waters far below. Yes, these shadows know my name and here they will stay until they find the frightened eyes of that little girl staring back at me through time and space. Forsaken, this moment leaves me naked at the mercy of the unknown.
As the goosebumps on my neck give rise to the chilly touch of death, lightning claws from beyond this world. Behind me, the shadows breathe a mist of icy wind. Within this flash of light is born the author of my nightmares.
"Save yourselves!" He whispered through the tides of destruction that were flinging trees through the night outside. Splinters crashing in the darkness drown out his dying cries. Spinning around, his empty eyes meet my lifeless soul. Their cold, white-blue shades of ice reached out through the crimson shadows - begging for sanity. "I am so sorry," his husky voice trembles in the blizzard night. "I never knew they would..."
A whistling sound eclipses the raging storms tearing through my mind. Behind him, a small blue hole rips through the scarlet shades of darkness cold. Growing slowly, it reaches out through invisible hands of gale force winds, devouring the supernatural night. With an arm reaching forward, the old man's frantic touch searches for safety. Our hands touch momentarily. A thumb drive slips into my palm as the frameless window behind him swirls into the eye of a tornado. His grip slides from my grasp as his wrinkled skin clings to my heart. A teardrop slides down his cheek moments before the screaming thunderbolt sparkles into the abyss.
Then only silence remains...
Slowly, the world around me returns to life. Lights flicker once, twice, before the electron flow floods the circuits once more. No one moves. Colorless faces mirage the storm tossed oceans in the dim lit room. There are no words; no explanations; no way to understand.
My eyes catch a glimpse of the desktop monitor on my desk. It is 2018, June 17, 00:15.
© Copyright 2017 MichaelMalyon (mx04747 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143563-Guardians-of-the-night