*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144935-Reading
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2144935
Flash Fiction
Reading

The door was ajar, he pulled it further open, quietly.

‘How can a door be a jar?’ Tim thought, sniffing. ‘How could you open a door if it was a jar? It would be round and made of glass. Or, plastic, maybe... Glass would be too heavy, right? And where would the handle be? How could you even open it anyway... or could it be one of those revolving doors... no... where would the people walk?

If it was plastic, you could have slices cut out of it for the people to stand in. That’s stupid. Why would anybody do that, you could just make it out of pieces of glass hooked together like a real revolving door. Most doors are made of wood anyway, but wood wouldn’t make a good revolving door because you couldn’t see where you were going. You’d start to go in and then it would get all dark and then you’d come out somewhere?

What if there were no floors inside! What if you came through the revolving door and suddenly you were on the edge of a huge cliff and you had to grab on to a tree to not fall over the edge because the door didn’t have handles, because it was a revolving door!’

“Tim?” Tim’s mother said, “Honey, you haven’t turned a page in your book report book in a while, you need to read a little faster. Are you having trouble with any words?”

“Yeah, what does ‘ajar’ mean?”

“It means open, a little bit.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.” Tim said turning back to the book.

The door was ajar, he pulled it further open, quietly. Peering in, he saw a figure near the window.

Tim sniffed, thinking, ‘why would a number be standing by a window...?’

© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144935-Reading