*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145043-A-Challenge-for-Leadership
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest · #2145043
Friendship and leadership sometimes don't mix

A Challenge for Leadership

The forest is quiet as we paw through the snow. I look over at the bulky figure of my closest friend, Krum. He's bigger and stronger than me, his heavy coat of grey fur sleeker. But I am brighter. He always beats me in fights but none are better than me at reading a herd. When my suggestions are followed we always bring down a kill and he knows that. It's a pity our glorious leader, Mara, doesn't.

My stomach grumbles. I'm so hungry! It's been days since we have eaten. I glance up at Mara limping along ahead of us, leading us back to the den. I growl and then nudge Krum.

"She's getting weaker and it was her fault again, that calf got away."

He glances back at the rest of the pack and then glowers at me.

"Keep your voice down, Runt. You'll end up challenging her, and that won't go well for you."

His words sting. I hate being reminded of my size, even from him. Since we were pups Krum has always stood up for me, but sometimes he sneers at me and that hurts even more.

I nip at him and spring back before his jaws close on my ear. I crouch down in the snow with my ears back as he rushes me and then stands over me growling.

"Get up, Runt. Stop clowning around. I'm not in the mood."

I jump up and trot alongside, pressing in close to him. "You ought to challenge her Krum."

He drops his pace and looks at me. "Are you nuts?"

"I know you would win, especially now. You saw how she was kicked by that Bull Moose. I can tell she's really hurt."

Krum walks in silence. Then he shakes his head.

"I'm not ready for that, Runt."

"It would be better for the pack if you did. You'd listen to me and we'd finally get to eat."

Krum's lips curled back from his teeth. "Why don't you challenge her? Like you said she's weak and now she's hurt. I bet even you could beat her."

His jab touches a nerve. I'd love to beat Mara just to watch that grimace fall from his muzzle. I shut up then and just stare ahead watching Mara. She stumbles once, gets up and then stumbles again. I hear her whimper as she slowly pulls herself up. Eventually, she leads us into the clearing in front of our den and collapses, panting.

I poke Krum with my muzzle. "Maybe I will challenge her. You got my back?"

He stops short and stares at me no longer panting. He pricks his ears forward and begins to slowly pant. Then he resumes walking. "I won't let anyone else challenge you."

I feel a surge of gratitude for my friend. Confident he has my back, I slowly walk up to Mara, growling, my fur bristling.

"You're finished Mara. You can't lead this pack anymore. I'll be able to get us food now. Step aside."

Mara raises herself up on all fours, the skin on her muzzle wrinkles up as she bares her teeth. A deep rumble fills her throat. Her amber eyes blaze as she moves towards me.

"So the runt wants to challenge me," she growls as we start to circle each other.

I gulp as I stare up at her. This would not be as easy as I thought. I could feel the rest of the pack gather around us. Mara launches herself at me, her jaws tearing into the scruff of my neck. Before she can wrench me in her powerful jaws I push against her with all my strength forcing her weight onto her injured leg. She yelps and collapses. In an instant, I tear at her throat and am rewarded with the warm spray of blood as her life drains away.

She shudders with her last breath. I step back waiting for the rest of the pack to accept me as their leader. Standing tall, I try to suppress a whimper as my shoulder begins to throb. The pack are silent, staring at me. Why don't they acknowledge me?

I'm relieved when Krum steps forward. He circles around me and then faces me. His lips curl back from his teeth, a deep throated growl emerges from his throat.

"Time to move on, Runt. I'm the leader now."

"No! You said you would back me."

He pounces on me in a flash and grabs me where Mara had already torn my flesh. I howl as he shakes me. I had never felt ferocity like this before. I'm stunned by the fury of each jerk and I hear a loud snap in my neck. The clearing, the pack, the trees whirl before my eyes; I can no longer feel or control my legs as I drop to the ground.

I gasp for air and whimper. "I thought you were my friend."

"I had to do what's best for the pack, Runt."

The last thing I hear is Krum howling and then the rest of the pack joining him in song.

© Copyright 2018 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145043-A-Challenge-for-Leadership