*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2147925-Lost
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2147925
Three Minute Read
Lost

It was very dark, I was lost, actually getting nervous. Regretting my decision to walk back to the hotel from the restaurant I wondered if my parents were looking for me yet. They considered me in the “awkward teen” years, and were probably a little relieved when I left. I wish they would see me as the adult that I am.

I had been more confident when I cut across the field, thinking the light I saw was the hotel. However, it was just a large barn with a lot of windows, and a very aggressive watch dog. I couldn’t even go up and ask directions. Then not knowing where the road was, I tried to retrace my path, apparently unsuccessfully. Now facing what sounded like running water, in the pitch black, cold, wishing I had stayed put. I heard the lonely screech of an owl, adding, embarrassingly, frightened.

Suddenly the moon peeked through the dark clouds like a floodlight illuminating everything around me. Looking up I saw the owl fly off, directly toward the dark side of a large building, our hotel. Before the night could trap me again, I sprinted to the hotel, getting to the door just as I saw my parents’ car pull into the parking lot.

I raced to the suite, popped on the TV and flung myself on my bed knowing they would check on me. When they came in, they asked if I was OK. I said “fine” sounding as bored as I could. They looked at me funny, and said goodnight.

I didn’t notice till they left that the TV was playing a show involving a lot of kittens apparently playing with balls of yarn. So much for my stab at adulthood tonight.
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2147925-Lost