*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2148936-Murder-Mystery-Chap-1-The-Carriage-ride
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #2148936
The beginning of a generic murder mystery story
Chapter One: The Carriage Ride

Boom! Thunder crackled into the distance. A man sat in a horse drawn carriage alone. He wore a long brown coat topped with a cowboy hat. The hat dipped down slightly to hide his seemingly sleeping face.

The man hadn’t wanted to come out to this party, but his close friend Lord Maclen had invited him, he would hate to stand him up. They had been close friends since he had helped save his daughter 3 years ago, many a investigation has been solved due to the old Lords resources.

The rain poured down onto the top of the old carriage. The man thought this was ridiculous, dramatic overkill to brag about his money. He loved Maclen but sometimes his ego gets in the way.

He smiled a little as he thought of Maclens little girl. Sarah is a gift to this world from the realm of angels. So nice and pure even when she was taken she didn’t hate her assailants, she was more saddened by what could have driven the to do it. And now Sarah is practically his niece, she is always excited to see him and calls him her “Shadow Knight.” He couldn’t be her knight in shining armor because then everyone would see him coming.

He tilts his head up to look out the window to the dreary forest outside. It passes by slowly and steadily. Rain dripping down the leaves, wolves howl into the distance at the round full moon. This is such overkill, a Halloween party at a mansion on a small island with one bridge to the mainland and the path to that bridge goes through a forest. Rich people are so wasteful.

The carriage draws ever closer to the bridge. The man stretches a little before getting up to change. His brown coat simply won’t do at a party like this. He changes into a blue with green highlights. People often tell him it’s too flashy and out of place but the man loved it.

As he’s changing his carriage comes to a halt. “Sir Lady Matilda caught up with us, she wants to know if she can come in and ride with you.” Says the carriage driver. “Tell her to come in” says the man still putting on his shirt.

A lady in a dark black dress walks in and says “J! Some civility! We’re nearly at the ball and your not even dressed!” He face is covered in makeup, she doesn’t even look real anymore, but she is still gorgeous, her long black hair flowing down.

“Eh, you know I’m not really one for this kind of thing Mati. I’m a dog among wolves. I don’t belong here, this is more as a favor than anything. But if your here then it can’t be that bad.” He steps forward to hug her, still without a shirt. A dumb grin covering his face.

She accepts his hug “Hm, is that the mask you chose a dog?”

“Yeah of course! What else would I be?” He laughs a little.

“J, you really are not made for this type of thing. I like you that way though, its funny to watch you squirm in a suit.”

“Speaking of suits I should finish putting on mine.” He steps back and proceeds to put on his suit once more. Matilda sits down on the carriage telling the driver it’s okay to begin moving again.

Matilda looks around the carriage, its old and run down carriage, water seems to drip through a crack in the roof. The seats stiff and wooden. “This isn’t yours is it? If it is… well it adds to the holidays mood.” Her face looks concerned as the carriage shakes oddly.

“Hahaha! Mati you think I can buy a carriage? God no! Maclen offered carriages to anyone who couldn’t get one, or those who really wanted to feel the mood.”

“And which are you?”

“Eh, little bit of both I suppose. I don’t need that much Mati, that’s why I’m an investigator it’s a fun job, you help people out. But it don’t pay shit most times, but you often get to feel like you helped someone, did something with yourself.”J’s suit is completely on a this time, only one thing left, the mask.

The mask matches the image of a dog, not a specific breed. A mutt, just like J the dog doesn’t fall in a category , nor should it matter. The masks stands out a bright green to match with his suit. And like a dog on command he can search for anything better than anyone else could.

` “What animal did you choose Mati?” J says without pulling his eyes off the mask.

“Hm, does my dress not give it away?” She stands as if to show it off. The color is mostly black, with some traces of purple, but it seems almost feathered.

“Could you be… A raven? Certainly smart enough.”

“No, I am a crow. I thought it was more fitting with the halloween party to be bird more closely symbollic with death and fear.” She says with a bit of a smirk.

“It's absolutely stunning Mati. But I thought you didn’t like halloween? Suddenly getting into the spirit?” J says a little confused. Mati always hated halloween, she was weak when it came to fear and suspense. Rather opposite to J actually for that is what he lives for.

“Always a first time for everything, figured I would see why you like it so much. Could it be just a product of your tiny brain mistaking negative feelings for positive?”

“If we're honest here, yeah probably.” He laughs a little, enjoying Matildas company. Maybe tonight won't be as bad as he thought it would be. If Matilda is here then he can always stay with her. But also maybe he could learn about random people, try to solve their everyday mysteries. You would be shocked by the amount of small random things people can’t figure out. And it is always baffling to people if you can do it correctly.

Suddenly the carriages ricketing slows down as it stops, the window showing the giant mansion ahead. It looks old and worn down, as if a misplaced feather could send it crumbling down. The colors are dark and dreary seemingly faded away by the elements and a rusted gate surrounds it, the trail from it leading to the only bridge out.

J puts his mask on and steps forward to the door turning around to face Matilda. Stretching out his hand to her. “Matilda my lady, would you care to join me to this dance?”

“But of course my loyal companion. Who else would I rather go with?” She smiles at him putting on her mask as she grabs his hand.He gently leads her out of the carriage, taking a moment to see the mansion and all the masked guests flooding inside. Maclen was always known for throwing one hell of a party. Only time will tell if this will be up to his standards.

But for just a moment, as all seemed good. J had an ache in his gut. Something as wrong. He couldn’t quite place it but his detective instincts don’t lie. The only problem is what is wrong.
© Copyright 2018 zackyshadow (zackyshadow2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2148936-Murder-Mystery-Chap-1-The-Carriage-ride