*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149647-ANGEL
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Horror/Scary · #2149647
From the birth of horror, love comes forth...
"ANGEL" by A.K.Clark

Mythology; 1. Body of myths, a group of myths that belong to a particular people or culture and tell about their ancestors, heroes, gods and other supernatural beings, and history.

Note, “and history”. This was depicted within the context of the Encarta Dictionary for mythology.
Historians have argued for decades with mythologists that none of their findings could ever have been based on a true event or sighting; that none of the engravings or statues could have ever existed in real life. That they were all dreams of man and their visions and that it was the artists or engravers poetic licence that created the gods of the past.
Then came the science to help search for such connections, scientists on the side of historians and scientists on the side of the mythologists and the argument still persists to this day.
Still, there are many that believe that there must have been something or some creature that inspired these visions. A creature that could hide in plain sight.
Winged serpents and beasts have been worshipped from the dawn of man. Half human, half beast, have been written about on parchments, carved on tablets of stone and glorified in holy books and ancient scrolls. They’ve appeared in stone sculptures in one form or another all around the world. So often, that many people believe that there could have been some type of living creature resembling a cross between man and beast during the early stages of man’s development and more notably 3500BC where the greatest proportion of Gods were represented. A creature that could walk among us as human, but could change in the blink of an eye and bestow untold horror upon their adversaries. That these creatures could have possibly been at war with man for their survival and somehow before the written word, we passed these stories down to and through our children in the form of etchings, engravings, pictures and stories. Then grand stone carvings were created on and in places of worship, depicting such figures from the Mesopotamian era known as Achaeans, half man, half winged beast; Ereshkigal and Inanna, being but one pair and even our Christian God commanded an army of angels. Did these stories or even sightings turn from myth to true belief to help control the human population in times of unrest or were they a real species living among us. They became an ideal source of blame when times were bad, war and pestilence, and also in times of joy, abundance of crops the birth of a child. Were we so afraid of the truth, that we invented Gods to explain away the un-explainable and were we not quick to condemn those among us that sort the truth and name them as witches or sorcerers. If they did exist, where were they from? Were they from our own gene pool or were they from the stars in the night sky and our very first visitors from another world.
Would we ever find evidence of such a creature or were they cast into the flames and destroyed by the ignorance of man. Or, as some believe, did they not turn their backs on human kind and return to the oceans to wait for their star ships to return, this being an easy excuse not to produce solid evidence or physical remains that they ever existed.
This is a story of such a creature. A creature disturbed from its long hibernation by the earth itself. A creature now in search of the human gene to return to existence once more, but disturbed in such a way would it even survive. By sheer chance with odds escalating to over a billion to one, it was captured or could that be rescued, by a man obsessed with creating the ultimate human, a scientist and marine biologist totally unaware of what he’d discovered. He was just in the right place at the wrong time or was he in the wrong place at the right time, we will never know.
Will Angels fly again?




“Prologue”


“GILBERT”



‘Gill for Christ sake, get out of there now’. The voice over the intercom screamed at him.
“Richie” by the sound of him, thought Gill, “Fucking narrow minded little prick”.
He saw it again. Just off to his right. He was so close, but those infernal alarms were driving him crazy. First, it was the stabilizers, then the oxygen tanks, then the ballast tanks, then that damn siren indicating CYCLOPS had lost an arm. “Fucking stupid SUB, he didn’t need a stupid alarm to tell him he’d just lost one of the four arms. He was watching it as it got engulfed and jammed in the larva. It was him that ripped it off to save the SUB”…….

Gilbert Avalon was currently serving on board the science ship “Explorer Three”. He was on a three year field expedition, studying marine organisms that flourish in the hot waters close to underwater volcanos. As a marine biologist, he’d always believed that the beginning of life on earth all started in the sea and somehow he’d find the secret of life somewhere beneath the surface of the Pacific.
This was Gill’s thirty-eighth seek and capture dive in the on-board-sub, CYCLOPS, a 27million dollar mini-sub. It was equipped with a 6inch thick fish bowl cockpit, capable of withstanding depths of up to 20,000ft, eight cameras, 20 specialist sample canisters and four remote arms. One of which Gilbert had just tore off.
They were at the rim of the Pacific Basin. Because it is one of the most geologically active places on Earth, scientists have nicknamed the area, “The Ring of Fire.” The movement of tectonic plates has created a nearly continuous series of oceanic trenches and chains of volcanoes stretching for twenty-five thousand miles. Gilbert was in amongst the most active area they’d ever seen or come across. The temperatures exceeded all their expectations, suggesting that the volcano below was close to an enormous eruption.
… He’d been attracted to an array of brightly luminous organisms that he’d spotted in the water just above the largest magma vent, when out of the corner of his eye at a much greater depth, he spotted an alumnus blue light. It was this blue light Gilbert was trying to reach.
It had taken everything the SUB had to get within reaching distance when his first attempt failed and he ended up with the right top arm logged under four feet of magma which had quenched and stuck to arm solid. The blue light had vanished, for what seemed like minutes, valuable minutes as the arm was being covered by the second. Then there it was again, as if it was fighting for its life, moving towards the Sub. Using the left lower arm, Gilbert attached another canister and swiped it down, scooping the blue light substance up and activating the closing mechanism. He got it. Now all he had to do was get the hell out of Dodge. He almost had to swing the Sub round 360 degrees to twist off the right arm and it broke free just as the magma engulfed it.

… ‘Gill… Please… Get out of there now…’ The woman’s voice pleading with him.
“That was defiantly Linda”. Gill thought with a smile. Maybe she would come for a drink with him back on shore. He fancied the pants of Linda; she was defiantly the sexiest bitch on board.
‘I’m on my way… Start hauling in the umbilical’. Gill eventually answered their calls.
Turning the sub, he let the hydrothermal currents take him away from the chaos and certain death.
A smile slowly spread across his face as he looked at the arm clutching the strange organism. Maybe this was what he’d been looking for most of his life.


© Copyright 2018 A.K.Clark (a.k.clark at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149647-ANGEL