*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149967-Thief
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2149967
Be careful what you accuse others of

Thief

I arrived home fuming. My wife looked up from her book as I walked into the living room and smiled.

"Hi Mike. How was your day?"

I put my toolbox down and banged the door closed.

"You know Kate, the worse thing about work is you can't leave anything down or someone will take it. I'm working with a bunch of thieves. I swear, you got to store everything under lock and key. You know that jerk, Pete?"

My wife put her book down, her eyes widening. "Yea, but Mike..."

I put up my hand up to stall her. "He's the worst of them. I was packing up my toolbox and noticed my screwdriver was missing. His toolbox was next to mine and I saw it sitting inside it. Can you imagine?"

I took my jacket off and walked across the room to the coat rack.

"Mike..."

"Of course he was full of excuses, Kate. He said it looked just like his. What an idiot. My name is etched into the handle. I bet..."

My mouth dropped open when I saw my jacket already hanging in place. Stunned, I looked at the one in my hand.

"Mike, that's what I was trying to tell you. You have someone else's jacket."

© Copyright 2018 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149967-Thief