*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2151957-This-Friday
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2151957
Al asks out his crush on a date - 2016
         He felt a pit in his stomach as he approached her. His palms were sweating and his legs felt a little unsteady. He went over the words in his head time and time again. He wouldn't chicken out this time. He would say it. He clenched his hands into fists to steady them, took a deep breath, and began his best calm act.
“Hey, Jess” He began.
         Jess turned away from her friend she had been conversing with and smiled at him.
“Oh, hey Al. What's up?” She asked.
“Uh, you know. Nothing much. I just wanted to, uh, hey, can I talk to you for a second?” Al stuttered out.
“Yea, of course” Jess replied before turning back to her friend “I'll be back in just a moment, Kelly.”
         The two walked just a few yards away and around the corner in the hall. After deciding this was far enough to be out of earshot, Al stopped Jess.
“Ok, so, what I wanted to ask you is if you would, if you want to, of course, well, go to homecoming with me?” Al barely managed to say.
         Jess blushed slightly and looked down at her shoes with a little smile on her face. She looked back up and tried to meet his eye, only to find herself blushing even harder. After a deep breath she managed to look at him steadily long enough to reply.
“Yes. I would love to. I didn't think you would ask anyone, but I was really hoping you would.” She explained through a broad grin.
         Al's eyes went wide and he broke into a smile that went ear to ear. It was all he could do to keep from jumping for joy. He actually considered it for just a second before thinking better of it. After a moment of overjoyed silence, he realized he should probably say something else.
“So, uh, what time should I pick you up then? It, it starts at eight, so like, seven-thirty then?” He managed through his smile.
“That sounds great,” Jess replied, “Seven-thirty, a week from Friday, right?”
“Right!” Al nearly shouted, then cleared his throat and repeated in a more even voice, “Right. I can't wait.”
         Jess paused a moment, Al could see her thinking hard as she stood there, he was getting ready to ask if something was wrong when she finally spoke.
“Hey, so, why wait?” She asked, “How about we do something this Friday too? Like, like a movie?”
         Al's heart nearly stopped. She was into him enough to ask him out too?!
“Uh, yea. Sure! I would really like that. I would like that a lot.” Al stuttered, feeling like he should speak louder over his pounding heart.
“Can you pick me up at seven then?” Jess inquired.
“Anytime! Seven sounds great!” Al enthusiastically agreed.
         They smiled at each other and Al watched her walk back to Kelly before turning and walking away. As soon as he was out of sight he pumped his fist in celebration, his cheeks sore from smiling so hard.
© Copyright 2018 Emma Faye (zimra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2151957-This-Friday