*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152653-A-Thirst-for-Truth
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2152653
A victim of slander, a young woman becomes lost in an attempt to escape the perpetrators.
A woman is lost in the woods. It's dark, she has been lost now in these same woods for what seemed like an eternity. It is always night in these woods and moon rarely shines her silver beams through the trees.
The woman is scared, she feels like a child, forever separated from its parents. She's alone, unsure of which trail to go down.
How could she make a decision? It was pitch black, no light to shine a clear way.

The once strong willed woman could no longer navigate her way in the dark, every turn she took, disembodied voices of the not so distant past echoed through her mind; "Stupid girl, you're not going to get very far." accompanied by menacing laughter, which frequently tormented her.

"Still haven't figured it out yet?" The degrading, the shaming, the slander of which she endured, haunted her. causing her to run to deep into these woods.
The faces of these ghosts clouded her view and to make matters worse, along with malevolent spirits came with the spirits of those who loved her, but she disappointed. "I should've known better than to trust you!" The pain of an invisible illness made her an enemy unto herself. An illness that no one believed she had, all she was to them was a failure, an attention seeker; one than no one dared care to acknowledge.

The woman walks forward, her foot gets caught and she stumbles. In an attempt to try and catch her balance she loses her footing, tumbling down a deep Ravine and plunging into the river below. But she's strong, right? She can swim, yes? Not this time, she became frozen in panic.
The water level is rising as the strong gales force the river currents to flood in. She's screaming for help but her screams are disrupted by her splutters as her lungs fill with water. She sinks down, closing her eyes succumbing to her watery end.
© Copyright 2018 E.F. HART (sleepwalker92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152653-A-Thirst-for-Truth