*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154241-Zodiac-Book-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Fantasy · #2154241
The script for what hopefully may one day become a graphic novel. Work in progress.
Zodiac, Issue 1,
by Benjamin E. Randall


PAGE ONE (5 panels)

Panel 1: Establishing shot. The rooftops of a lower income neighbourhood inside the city of Merok. In the background the protective reinforced wall stands approximately 20-30 feet high and encircles the city, though since this area of the city exists close to the edge of the wall only a portion can be seen. Along the top of the wall semi-automated turrets can be seen scanning for pre programmed targets outside the city walls. The shadows of the buildings grow longer as the day transitions into evening. A hooded figure in old, slightly torn robes walks towards the edge of the rooftop. Threatening shouts can be heard in the alley below. The area is a dense apartment complex, many of the buildings range from 5 to 8 storeys in height.

VOICE 1 (angry): THE HELL? THIS KID HAS NOTHING ON HIM!
VOICE 2 (frustrated) BUT I SAW THE BOTTLE! HE’S GOT HOOCH SOMEWHERE!

Panel 2: POV is a closer side view of the hooded figure. The figure at this moment has reached the edge of the roof and is looking into the alley below. One hand is resting on the rooftop ledge, while the robes obscure form, the hand is visible. It is a very pale hand and is feminine.

VOICE 1 (angry): WHERE’D YOU HIDE THE HOOTCH?!
VOICE 3 (scared): I-I DON’T HAVE AN-
SFX: CRACK!
The sound of a backhanded slap echoes through the alley up to the rooftops.
VOICE 1: YOU THINK WE’RE DUMB, BOY? WHERE. IS. THE. HOOCH?!

Panel 3: POV is the same as before. The hooded figure has gripped the ledge of the roof and used that leverage to pull herself over, leaping into the alley below.

Panel 4: POV has moved into the alley behind the back of the figure. We can see that her leap reached the other side of the narrow alley and she has grabbed onto a stone windowsill. Around her the old brickwork of the apartment has missing pieces from lack of maintenance, gang violence, or various other sources. Beside and below her are other windows, most are covered with protective metal bars to prevent break ins. As well as various building pipes for catching rain, for ventilation, or other various uses.

VOICE 2 (slightly nervous): WE GOTTA HURRY UP AND GO, DON’T KEEPERS PATROL THIS COMPLEX?
VOICE 1 (angry): SHUT UP! WE HAVE TIME BEFORE PATROLS START. COME ON KID, I DON’T WANT TO HURT YOU…
VOICE 3: ...

Panel 5: In the POV we can see the ground as the figure uses the pipes and metal bars on the windows to climb down. Two adults and one pre-teen boy are now visible as well. The ground floor of the alley is littered with trash, severa bags have been piled of in one spot behind the assailants. The two men are standing over a preteen boy. We will call the men ROY and HECTOR, the preteen boy is called DERVON (pronounced core-win). ROY stands behind HECTOR, he is all wrinkles and wiry grey hair. His clothes are patchwork with holes visible in several places, he clearly has not had a bath in months. HECTOR is of a similar appearance, but with chocolate brown hair and a long curly beard. A rusty knife is visible and currently tucked into his belt. he is in the process of striking DERVON for a second time. DERVON has fallen to the ground from the second strike. He has brown skin with shoulder length black hair. DERVON’S clothes are in better condition than his assailants, though they are slightly too big for him.

SFX: CRACK!

DERVON (in pain): AHH!
HECTOR (angry): WELL? WHAT’S IT GONNA BE?

PAGE TWO: (6 panels)

Panel 1: The POV is a close up of HECTOR and DERVONS faces as HECTOR holds DERVON up by the scruff of his shirt with one hand, in his other he has drawn the rusty blade from his belt and his holding it near DERVON’S face. DERVON is visibly trying to pry HECTOR’S hand off of him, but is failing. DERVON’S eyes have clear panic in them. HECTOR’S expression is cruel, frustrated but clearly enjoying the torture.

HECTOR (menacingly): NOW, AM I GOING TO HAVE TO START BEING ROUGH WITH YOU, BOY?
DERVON (terrified): P-PLEASE… LET ME GO! I DON’T HAVE ANY HOOCH!

Panel 2: The POV is now on ROY, he is leaning on the wall, face half turned toward HECTOR and DERVON, his shoulders are hunched and his face shows he is clearly uncomfortable with the turn this confrontation is taking.

ROY (nervous): HE’S NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE, I’M SURE THE KID JUST DROPPED IN SOMEWHERE NEARBY…
ROY (slightly desperate) ...WE DON’T NEED TO KILL HIM ROY.

Panel 3: Same POV as before. ROY’S face now takes on a startled expression and his body jolts slightly. He has turned towards the voice of the hooded figure.

HOODED FIGURE (off panel, deadpan): HE DROPPED IT BEHIND THE GARBAGE BAGS.

Panel 4: The same POV now showing both ROY and the hooded figure who is punching him, her momentum moving her into the panel frame, the lower half of her face is now visible and the wind pulls the robes back slightly. A somewhat exaggerated facial expression of the impact of ROY’S face being sucker punched by the hooded figure, who we will now call by her proper name, CAZMARA.

SFX: WHAM!

Panel 5: The POV is now behind DERVON looking down the alleyway. HECTOR has now let DERVON go and is turning toward CAZMARA, who is walking toward him. ROY is visible on the ground covering his mouth, now just behind CAZMARA. Blood has spilled onto the ground next to two teeth that were knocked from his mouth by the punch.

Panel 6: The POV is now behind and above CAZMARA as HECTOR runs toward her, knife poised overhead, preparing to slash at her when he gets close enough.

HECTOR (enraged): ROY!
HECTOR (enraged): I’LL MAKE YOU BLEED FOR THAT, GIRL!

PAGE THREE: (6 Panels)

Panel 1: POV is back to a side view. CAZMARA easily avoids the swing of HECTOR'S swing.

Panel 2: The POV is the same as before. CAZMARA has grabbed HECTOR'S wrist and maneuvered to his side. Hector has a look of slight surprise.

Panel 3: The POV is now an action close up of HECTOR'S wrist as CAMARA twists it with enough strength to crack the wrist bone. HECTOR drops his knife from the surprise and pain.

SFX: CRIKK!
HECTOR: AUGH!!

Panel 4: The POV has moved to a low angle shot near DERVON, clutching his bruised face. CAZMARA stands in front of him in a protective stance, one arm behind her signalling DERVON to stay down. He other arm is raised outward, her index, thumb, and middle finger pointed towards the stumbling HECTOR. HECTOR is clutching his damaged wrist, muttering curses. ROY is slowly getting to his feet, spitting a little bit of blood.

SFX (ROY, spitting): PTOO!

Panel 5: The POV is now focused closer on HECTOR and ROY. HECTOR has turned back to face CAZMARA again, his face is slightly hesitant but still enraged. ROY has an uncertain posture, he is looking to HECTOR to for leadership.

HECTOR: THIS BITCH! ...SHE'S DEAD ROY, SHE'S DEAD!!

ROY: ...

Panel 6: The POV is the same as before. A blast of yellow energy impacts the old brickwork just behind HECTOR'S head, sending small pieces of brick to fly off and some bits strike against HECTOR and ROY. Both men have gotten into a sudden defensive posture, covering their faces with their arms to protect from the shrapnel.

SFX: BOOM!

PAGE FOUR (2 Panels)

Panel 1: A small circular panel in the upper left corner of Panel 2. The POV is that of a closeup of HECTOR and ROY's shocked faces. Behind them the small singed impact crater can be seen still sizzling.

SFX: SSSSSS

Panel 2: This panel takes up the full page. POV is on CAZMARA'S hooded face, her eyes now illuminated from the light emanating off of her still glowing hand. Her veins are glowing slightly brighter than the rest of her hand, smooth arcs of the yellow energy dance between her fingers. Her illuminated face is one of frustrated annoyance. It is revealed by the light just how pale CAZMARA is, her long bangs nearly white-blond and her eyes a pale violet. CAZMARA has albinism.

CAZMARA: START RUNNING.

PAGE FIVE (6 Panels)

Panel 1: POV is still on CAZMARA, though the distance has moved away from her face and we can see her full body posture. Dervon can be seen in the background pulling himself off the ground on shaky legs.

ROY (off panel): AHH!
HECTOR (off panel): IT'S FREAKIN' MAGIC! RUN!

Panel 2: POV is back to DERVON. He is visibly shaking and has now pulled himself onto his feet. CAZMARA can be hear rustling through the pile of trash bags further down the alley.

CAZMARA: You okay? He didn't cut you did he?
DERVON: ...No, I'll be okay. Thanks for the save.

Panel 3: POV has moved to a closer side view of CAZMARA. She has just pulled out from behind the trash bags a thick bottle of "Island Treasure Whiskey". The "Hooch" indicates a high alcohol content and it's bottle design implies some expense to purchase it. CAZMARA, in the shade of the alley, has pulled back her hood and her head is now visible. She a smirk on her face.

CAZMARA: Good news! The bottle didn't break. Looks like you can have your lesson after all.

Panel 4: DERVON has walked up behind CAZMARA and is looking at the bottle over her shoulder. He isn't shaking as much now but his face still looks nervous. Cazmara is opening a side pouch under her outermost robes in preparation to store the whiskey.

DERVON: What's the plan today?

Panel 5: CAZMARA is facing DERVON now, the bottle being tucked into the pouch out of view. DERVON is nodding profusely at each of CAZMARAs questions. DERVON's body language has changed, he seems genuinely eager now.

CAZMARA: Well that depends, have you been meditating daily?
CAZMARA: Have you been following that excercise plan I made for you?
CAMZARA: Have you been eating well?

Panel 6: CAZMARA smiles broadly with fists on her hips. DERVON jumps for joy.

CAZMARA: All right then! In that case today we'll be turning you into a conduit!

PAGE SIX (_ Panels)
© Copyright 2018 theZodiac (beran at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154241-Zodiac-Book-1