*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155564-Inside-Shadows-Welcome-to-Violet
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Mystery · #2155564
My mentor, Investigator Riley, has been murdered after I arrived to this town.
My name is Kai Elliot, and I'm sitting in the shadow of a broken down taxi that smells like burning coffee and oil.

Being stranded in the middle of an isolated road with said car and an irritated driver is one way to start my new life in the more rural side of this country. It's not my most preferred way, but at least this one isn't as boring if not unfortunate way to start my new chapter in life.

As I sit in the shadow of the car, I hear the sounds of the tires being mercilessly kicked by the taxi driver over and over again. A sigh escaped my chapped lips and I drank some water from my water bottle.

"You do know that the tires aren't the culprit for the car breaking down right?" I eyed the driver, "Why are you punishing the ones who pretty much had nothing to do with the case?"

"Case? Culprit? What kind of shit are you spouting out kid?" The driver let out a particularly powerful kick to the tire, "What matters is, my taxi broke down! Why are you so calm about this?!"

"Yes, it's weird that I'm calm about it since I'm a customer of yours. However, I just find this situation perplexing. Your car breaking down a bit after leaving the last gas station." Standing up, I approach the driver with the water bottle and offered it to him.

"What the hell does that mean kid?" He took the water bottle and drank it before returning it to me, "Thanks for the drink."

"No problem. What I mean is, someone from the last gas station must have hijacked your car while we were both away from it."

"Do you mean that one of the workers in the gas station broke my car?"

"No." I said, knocking the hood of the taxi, "While I don't have proof that it's not one of the workers there, it may be someone who is following you."

"What? Good Christ..."

The driver is walking back and forth in quick steps with one hand clutching on his head. I can only stand here as the victim is apparently facing a crisis. I would offer a pat to the back of condolences for this event, but he is a bit rude. Since he looks so busy in his thoughts, I decide that it would be best to contact my new caretaker of the situation. Leaving him be, I kneel down to my duffel bag in the car shadow's ground and grabbed my phone.

Just my luck, my phone ran out of battery. My power bank has also been run dry a bit earlier before the car's breakdown. It would also be too dangerous to start up the car for me to use the car charger. I don't think this area also has the public wifi that a city would have, so my laptop is out.

Well, just because I don't have any technological solution on hand, doesn't mean that I exhausted everything.

"Hey." I said to the pacing driver, "How far is it from here to the destination?"

"Huh? It's maybe around a kilometer. Which is why I'm more pissed off that the car broke down right now..."

The car breaking down when the end of the road is near...the metaphorical possibilities for that is a lot. However, I should focus on fixing this for now before I tell this unfortunate man my theory on this event.

"Ok, so it would take around 15 minutes to reach there by walking." The wind is blowing from my right side, "Ok maybe more than that if we take the head wind into account."

Maybe the wind will blow away all the smoke and coffee to oblivion, although I don't want those to end up going to the grassy hills around up.

With my bag in my hand, I walk away from the car and into the wind. I'm sure the taxi driver would be fine staying with the car, since he is emotionally invested into it.

The head wind is blowing through each individual grass and flowers of these surrounding hills, making a harmonious sound of nature. This town is called Violet Hills for something, and perhaps this is what they meant.

"This place should be called Grassy Hills instead...there's more green than violet."

Admittedly, this sight is beautiful to look at. Hills and hills beyond what the eye can see, with the occasional summer flowers in the mix.
© Copyright 2018 Reyna Fall (fallenreyna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155564-Inside-Shadows-Welcome-to-Violet