*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158020-A-late-flash-fiction-entry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Drath
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2158020
was going to enter this in the flash fiction comp for the 13/5 but missed the deadline
The smell of ammonia stained the air and the heat of the cooling engines warmed his left cheeck. You could look up into the sky from the tarmac and see an entire world of craft, most destined for other worlds. Kai's ship was a little unusual as it had only come from the kelp farm where he grew up.

"Hey! Move that piece of junk!" called a voice that could barely be heard above the din of the port. "What? Me?" shouted Kai turning to face a grubby little man in faded hi-vis clothing.
"Yes you! You don't have clearance! Drop-off's only" said the man who had now stomped his way inside Kai's personal space.
"I thought I got clearance to stay here for the next couple of weeks?" queried Kai.
"You are joking right? Can you see how busy we are here? Park it somewhere else, now" stated the man.

Kai's heart sunk, 5 minutes and already he had already pissed someone off. The man must have seen he was overwelmed as he said "Look... I can let you stay here for a couple of days but there's additional fee's involved for moving and storing your...", he cast a dismissive eye across Kai's ship, ".. vessel".

"What are you doing!" shouted another person running towards them. "Great" thought Kai. "I've pissed off the entire port ". The grubby man turned at the shout and said "Ah... I'll be back" and then ran in the opposite direction.

The other person ran up and said breathlessly "Hi, I'm Sophia Irvine and represent the port authority here. Did you give that man any money?"
A bewildered Kai said "No?...".
"Good," she said, "we've been trying to get his kind out of the port but they keep returning... Oh, and welcome to Port Cimmerian".

© Copyright 2018 Drath (jerryd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158020-A-late-flash-fiction-entry