*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158760-Inheritance
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2158760
Flash Fiction
Inheritance

Annie was tired, but there was so much to do. Emptying Gran’s house was harder than she’d thought. She’d lived here most of her life and missed Gran, but right now had to clean out the house to sell. She had a job in the city, an apartment, with this, she’d finally have some money.

Resting at a table she spied a puzzle box on the shelf. No picture but labeled “Orchid.” She decided to make it, just to clear her head.

There was no purple at all, this seemed to be a person, not an orchid. As she worked she thought about how Gran’s inheritance would allow her to get a better apartment, take classes, get a better job, a life. Somehow it didn’t even sound exciting, but at least it was a plan. Getting drowsy she nodding off to sleep right at the table.

Waking with a start, she scolded herself, there was much work left to do. She still had a piece of the puzzle in her hand, so she popped it in place. It was an eye, her eye! Confused she finished the face. It was her! But how could it be? She quickly finished the rest. In it, she was surrounded by women and one of them was Gran! Suddenly she felt a breeze and looking up, there they all were, surrounding her.

“Welcome home Orchid,” her grandmother said smiling. “It’s time for you to take your rightful place in our coven!”

Annie looked at them all, they looked fierce. “I don’t think so,” she said, scooping the puzzle back in the box. Suddenly classes and a better job sounded wonderful!

Gran shrugged at the other women, “Told ya...”
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158760-Inheritance