*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2161956-The-One-Who-Stayed
by Jackie
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2161956
Writers Cramp 6/26
They said it wouldn't last. There wouldn't be enough. But I knew I'd get mine.

I hid in the cupboard, next to the potatoes, waiting silently.

"Everyone else gets to go first. You're the youngest. You'll be last, and there just isn't enough. Sorry, Billy, it's just not gonna last." Mommy felt bad for me but still wouldn't budge.

Daddy nodded his head in agreement while I cried. "Sorry, Billy, that's just how it is."

I'd been looking forward to this since yesterday. Since forever.

Who makes these rules? Mom does, I guess.

Everyone filed through the kitchen. A long line of teenagers holding bowls and spoons. I could hear them. Tapping their spoons on the edges of their bowls. They were anxious. They too knew it wouldn't last.

Way to go, mom. There are 12 teenagers here and you only bought enough for 3. Way to ruin the party, mom.

"What in the name of..." there was mama's voice. The timing was perfect.

"Honey!" mommy screamed.

"Good God! Everyone! Outside! Get them!" My daddy yelled.

I stayed right there. I heard the bowls and spoons clatter on the countertops. Hurried footsteps. Distant laughter and yelling.

I climbed out and onto the countertop and made myself the largest, most heaping bowl of chocolate ice cream you could imagine. I sat in a sunny spot at the window and watched the chaos outside.

I giggled. There were so many chickens. Everyone was running wildly. My brother just barely missed the big white one and tripped.

They were right. It wouldn't last. But I got mine.

I savored an ice cold chocolatey bite. It was so good.

Those losers. They said it wouldn't last.
© Copyright 2018 Jackie (jackie5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2161956-The-One-Who-Stayed