*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2164712-The-Women-of-the-Lake-Part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2164712
The Lake Women deal with life while their father is away fighting in the First World War.
Chapter 1

“Millie, dearest, come help Sanna and I set the table.” Haley said to the fair haired little girl sitting by the window.
“Why me and not Trini?” The little girl complained. “Because Trini has spent the afternoon helping Maya with the cooking while you have spent your time lounging around.” The older girl shot back and smiled to lessen the blow of her scolding. With that Millie reluctantly complied and helped her older sisters set the table.
“It’s starting to snow!” A gentle voice says from the window with a smile to her words.
“Oh I do love the snow!” Trini says entering the room. “Sanna don’t you just love the snow?”
“I absolutely love it!” Sanna says with a shriek.
“Me too!” Says Millie.
“I’m not so sure I like it so much.” Haley says quietly.
“Why not, dearest?” Sanna asks her eldest sister kindly. “Because it’s so cold and I always slip over.”
“That’s because you wear ridiculous shoes.” Trini mutters and earns a stern look from Haley.
“I wonder if it is snowing where Father is.” Millie queries.
“If it is snowing, I bet he would have the desire to roll around in it like he does when he is home.” Trini says excitedly.
“Don’t bet Trini, it’s improper.” Haley lectures earning a dramatic eye roll from the girl.
“I miss Father.” Sanna says quietly. “And I know we shouldn’t be ungrateful for the things we already have but I do wish that he was here at home with us.”
“We all wish that, Sanny.” Millie says and puts a gentle hand on her older sister’s shoulder. Sanna, Millie, and Haley share a sad smile.
Trini being the designated “man of the family” claps her hands to get her sisters attention. “Now, now girls.” She says in a manly voice and stands on a chair. “Let’s not be sad, Father would not want us to be down in the dumps over him not being here, but would want us to celebrate the new year to come with a smile on our faces and joy in our hearts.”
“Here! Here!” Shout the three girls and busy themselves with preparing the dinner table for their mother’s return.
Outside the Lake House the ground was covered with snow which was gradually getting thicker. In the snow was the imprints of snow angels all around the garden as the sisters had spent their morning decorating the garden with their bodies to show their mother when she returns home from carrying out her duties. Trini had gushed at the idea of lying in the snow and after a few moments of making snow angels by herself, was joined by her sisters one by one. They carried out their antics until they were lectured by Maya for soaking their clothes and were made to come inside to dry off.
Maya did not appreciate the girls artistic efforts, but Mrs Lake definitely would, as she appreciates her daughters efforts to be artistic and creative. Mrs Lake was a kind soul, and adored by her loving daughters. In her day, she was a beautiful woman with long brown hair, and strong cheekbones. As the years have passed by, her youth has diminished but her daughters swear to her she is a beautiful woman who would most definitely break any man’s heart.
Her daughters have most definitely inherited her beauty. Haley, the eldest of the four, being eighteen, and pretty, being plump, with soft long brown hair, and dainty hands. Fifteen year old Trini was tall and had the appearance of one who was growing into a woman and did not not like the idea. She had a full head of thick red hair which was referred to the reason why she was such a trouble maker, grey eyes that were usually full of amusement unless she was annoyed and always wore a smile that lightened the mood around The Lake House. Sanna was a pale girl, with brown hair, a gentle voice, and wise eyes for one who was only thirteen. Millie, the youngest of the four, being ten, was a snow maiden with blonde hair and dark eyes, always carrying herself in a ladylike manner.
The clock struck seven and the girls welcomed their beloved Mommy home. Sanna took off her mother’s coat and Haley helped her with her bonnet, Trini continued to set the table with Mille. In that moment, Mrs Lake could not have been more proud with her young daughters and how they were all growing up in their own little ways.
“The food bank was extremely busy today girls, Mrs Van Holden and I did everything we could to help those in need but I’m afraid it won’t be enough.” Mrs Lake tells the girls once they had settled down for their supper.
“I’m sure they will appreciate your earnest efforts, Mommy.” Haley told her mother tenderly and the younger sisters nodded with agreement.
“If you would like I could wake up early next week and help Maya cook some hot meals and then we can take them to the food bank.” Trini says.
“That’ll be very much appreciated, my dear.” Mrs Lake says and smiles warmly.
“And of course Haley, Sanna, and Millie will help me. We know how much they love to be up before dawn.” The red headed girl says cheekily, earning a scoff from Haley and a gentle slap from Sanna.
“Trini, we all know that you would sleep until the war was over, if you could.” Millie says in a grown up manner and the girls laugh when Trini scoffs.
“Maya, won’t you join us?” Sanna asks the family cook who was busying herself with her housework.
“I don’t think that will be appropriate, Miss.” Maya says quietly and returns to her work.
“Don’t be silly, Maya.” Trini says and gets up from her seat. “Here take my seat and I will make up a plate for you.”
“Why thank you.” Maya says and takes the seat offered to her.
“You deserve a rest after all this lovely food you have provided for us, Maya.” Mrs Lake says warmly.
“I can’t take all the credit, Mrs Lake, Trini helped me with a lot of it.” Maya says and smiles warmly at the young girl.
“You know how much I love to cook with you, Maya. I always learn new techniques. And I think that my rum and raisin cake has come along quite nicely and will be quite tasty.” Trini says excitedly.
“I’m sure it will.”
After supper the sisters settle around the fire all doing their own little tasks. Haley was repairing her gloves, Trini was listening to Miilie read and correcting her mistakes, and Sanna was knitting. Trini walks over to the window and opens it to let some fresh air in and earns a complaint from Haley.
“I heard some of the girls making New Years resolutions today.” Sanna says quietly.
“You shouldn’t listen to those silly girls, Sanna.” Haley says sternly. “They fill your head with silly thoughts.”
“They’re okay, a bit too much into romances, but they are nice.” Sanna says and places her knitting into her lap.
“Haley isn’t saying they aren’t nice.” Trini says kindly. “Just that they talk about silly things that you are to grown up for.”
“Making New Years resolutions is silly?” Questions Millie and joins Trini by the window.
“Only when people make resolutions that are materialistic.” Haley says.
“Like when Betsy Ross said it would be her goal to have the most bows.” Millie says.
“Exactly.” Haley says.
“And instead of only making resolutions on New Years we should make them all the time. And once we have conquered one we should make another.” Trini says. “My first resolution would be to finally conquer my anger.”
“You can’t conquer anger, you can only control it.” Sanna says sounding much like Mrs Lake.
“That is very philosophical of you, Sanny.” Trini says and Sanna smiles brightly.
“You shouldn’t worry about your anger, Trini. As we all have traits of ourselves that we are not proud of.” Haley says moving over to the window.
“I can be selfish at times.” Millie says ashamed of herself.
“I worry about what people may think a little bit too much.” Haley says.
“And I am a little too shy.” Sanna says.
“You see we all have resolutions and we will try our upmost hardest to work on them.” Haley says.
“Certainly we will.” Trini says and draws her sisters into a hug.

Chapter 2

Haley was the first to wake to a grey New Years Day. The fire had gone out during the night making the room rather cold and bleak. She pulls her shawl around her shoulders to keep out some of the cold but to no avail and settles back under the covers. Trini was sleeping soundlessly, her eyelids fluttering ever so often, her red hair sprawled out across the pillow and a peaceful serene look only she could wear. Haley couldn’t help but envy her youth, her innocence and wanted to be young again.
“Stop staring at me Hal.” Trini says quietly making Haley jump.
“Sorry.” Haley mumbles.
The door to the bedroom bursts open, Millie comes tumbling in and jumps on the bed disturbing Trini from her rest. “Mommy says you have to get up for church.” Millie says in a sing-song voice.
“Don’t be so loud, Millie, I have a headache.” Haley complains.
“You always have a headache, Hal.” Trini mutters falling back to sleep. Millie shakes Trini excessively. “Don’t go back to sleep Trini, we have to go to church.”
“I hate church.” Trini complains.
“Don’t say such a thing, Trini, it’s disrespectful.” Haley scolds her younger sister.
“I’m just being honest.” She says and earns a giggle from Millie.
“Sometimes, Katarina, you are too honest for your own good.” Haley says.
“I’ve asked you not to call me that.” Trini snaps.
“I don’t understand why you don’t like your name. Katarina Josephine Lake. It’s such a pretty name.” Millie says.
“It makes me sound so girlish.” Trini says throwing her arms up in the air.
“Well that’s because you are a girl.” Millie says plainly.
“And it’s about time you started acting like one.” Haley says getting up from the bed.
“It’s not my fault that I prefer boys clothes and would much rather build a fire rather than sit around like a pokey old woman sewing and sipping tea.” Trini says. “Being born a girl is the worse thing that could possibly happen to me.” Haley shakes her head but is unable to hide her amused smile.
Mornings in The Lake House were always hectic. Despite the young girls having ladylike manners, they have yet to master the art of timing. Haley insisted on wearing her best white gloves wherever she went. However, it always took a while to find them as she never put them back in the correct place. Trini, who always wore her hair in a ponytail, refused to have her hair any other way. Mrs Lake would always have to do battle with her wild daughter to do her hair the “pretty way”. Sanna, always gentle, always kind, made sure that the animals of the house were fed before she settled down for breakfast. Millie would be at her desk in the lounge working on her latest romance and wouldn’t dare move until she had finished.
All these things may seem minor, but contributed to making the young women of the Lake House extremely late. Mrs Lake usually a mild tempered woman, would pray not to lose her temper with her young daughters who were still learning how to be sensible and responsible.
“Girls, time to go.” Mrs Lake shouts from the bottom of the stairs.
“Coming.” Haley shouts
“Be right there.” Millie says.
“Just a minute.” Sanna replies.
“Hold on.” Trini yells. One by one, the girls come down the stairs, grabbing their coats and hats and make their way outside.
Over the road, the wealthy and influential Wilders were also getting ready for church. The Wilder family consisted of Matthew, Richard, Cordelia, and Bruce Wilder. The older man, Matthew, had presided in the house for almost 50 years. His son, Richard, had lived in Paris for the past 10 years with his wife, Cordelia, and teenage son, Bruce. They moved back to Pemberly during late summer.
The young boy of the house, Bruce, who was called Teddy by his family, often stared across at the Lake House. He would stare out of the window for hours watching the Lake girls going about their daily antics. On several occasions, he considered going over to introduce himself but never found the courage to do so. Trini would often spot him and wave but he would jump and hide behind the curtain. Trini thought he was an odd boy, but wanted to make friends with him. One day she was determined to do so.
Old man Wilder and Teddy were clearing the snow off their car. Trini was the first to spot them and waved. “Good morning!” She shouts across the road.
“Good morning.” Old man Wilder shouted back. Teddy like usual quickly hid which made Trini giggle.
“He’s such an odd boy, don’t you think?” Trini asks her sisters.
“He’s a dreadful boy.” Haley says. “I catch him staring through the window all the time.”
“I don’t think he’s a dreadful boy. I think he’s just lonely.” Sanna says quietly.
“Which is why we should make a friend out of him.” Trini says.
“We can’t be friends with him!” Millie exclaims. “He’s a boy.”
“Don’t be silly, Millie.” Trini snaps.
The morning worship took up so much time it was lunchtime when the Lake girls finally got home. However, they were not able to rest for long as they all had chores to do. Trini was sent out almost immediately after finishing her lunch to deliver laundry to the people of Pemberly.
When her father left to fight in the war, two years before, Trini finished school and helped Mrs Lake with her laundry service. She did not mind the work as it kept her out of the house for most of the day and kept her entertained. She enjoyed delivering to all of her mother’s customers, as they were all kind and always gave her an extra bit of money to keep for herself.
It was four o’clock and Trini was on her very last delivery, she had worked hard and most definitely deserved a rest. “Katarina! Katarina!” Came a shout from across the road. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she heard the voice. She would know that voice anywhere. Her elderly aunt, Lorelai Greene, was standing across the road beckoning her over.
Reluctantly, Trini, crossed the street to greet her aunt. “Hello, Aunt Lorelai. How are you?” She asks.
“Don’t be emotional, my dear girl.” Aunt Lorelai retorts. “I simply called you over to tell your mother that I will be expecting her Saturday for afternoon tea. Don’t you forget now.”
“I won’t, Aunt Lorelai.”
“Good girl.” Aunt Lorelai looks the young girl up and down and shakes her head. “Stand up straight, girl. Stop slouching.” She snaps before walking away without saying goodbye.
“Horrible old witch.” Trini says walking away. Unfortunately, for the wild girl she was not paying attention and walked right into a passerby. “Blast! I am awfully sorry!” She exclaims.
“That’s alright.” The passerby says and proceeds to help her pick up her laundry.
Trini had not realised to whom she walked into and it wasn’t until she finally got to her feet, she saw it was poor Teddy Wilder. “By jove!” She says. “It’s about time we met! Trini Lake!” She extends her hand for the boy to shake.
“Teddy Wilder. Well actually Bruce Theodore Wilder. Which is where Teddy comes from.” He rambles. “Sorry, I ramble when I’m nervous.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you nervous.” Trini says apologetically.
“Oh no, I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking about Mr Draycott who owns the art shop. He watches me through the window whenever I pass by.” Teddy says nodding his head in the direction of the art shop.
“Don’t worry about Mr Draycott. He looks scary, but he’s harmless.”
“Well that’s good to know.”
“I must be going. Mother will be expecting me home shortly.” Trini says and begins to walk away.
“I’ll walk with you.” Teddy says.
“Oh, how grand!” Trini says excitedly. “Now you can tell me what it was like to live in Paris!”
The pair chatted like they were old friends. Teddy told Trini all about Paris and the different places he has visited. Trini told him about her hobbies and when she found out that he loved the theatre as much as she and her sisters did, invited him to come along with them on Saturday. Once they got to their homes, they bid each other farewell and went their separate ways.
When Trini told her sisters that she had finally made friends with the odd boy from across the road, they were reluctant to do the same. Trini pleaded her case and after much debate they finally agreed. Bruce Theodore Wilder became the brother that the Lake girls never had.

Chapter 3

“Trini! Where are you dear?” Mrs Lake shouts.
“Up here mother!” Trini answers. Mrs Lake found her daughter reading and sitting in her favourite spot. The sofa in the attic has been her humble abode since she was a child, she would use it as an escape from her work and the wrath of her nagging sisters. The attic was also home to the family cat, Tabby, who enjoyed sunbathing by the window. As Mrs Lake appeared, Tabby ran down the stairs of the attic to get away.
“And what is on today’s reading agenda?” Mrs Lake asks. “An encyclopaedia about Asia.” Trini answers not looking up.
“And why do you want to know about Asia, my dear?”
“I guess it is a way to escape this provincial life.”
“There is nothing wrong with a provincial life.”
“There is only nothing wrong with it if you look like Haley.” Trini says finally looking up from her book. “She is beautiful, where I on the other hand am ugly and the colour of my hair gets me into terrible scrapes.”
“You are not ugly, Katarina. And you get into scrapes because you are a mischievous little vixen, not because of the colour of your hair.”
“But you would not have me any other way, would you mother?”
“No, I would not.” Mrs Lake says and kisses the girl’s forehead. “Now I must be off to Aunt Lorelai’s. Make sure you behave yourself at the theatre tonight.”
“I will, Mommy.”
Getting ready to go out to the theatre was always an exciting occasion for the Lake girls, as they rarely got dressed up. The two youngest girls had been dressed for almost an hour and were sat by the fire playing with their dolls. The two oldest girls, however, were not ready and they were arguing about the state of the Trini’s gloves.
“What are you arguing about?” Sanna asks.
“The state of Trini’s gloves.” Haley answers handing her younger sister Trini’s gloves.
“Oh yuck!” Sanna exclaims. “They’re sticky.”
“That’s because I used them to mop up some lemonade I spilled at Stella Bronte’s coming out party.”
“Oh Trini, when are you going to start acting like a lady?” Haley scolds.
“When me not doing so starts to effect the state of the union.” Trini answers back.
Haley sighs and prays for the strength not to lose her temper with her younger, wild sister. “Well you’ll just have to carry your gloves and hope no one notices the state they are in.”
“The Wilder boy is here!” Millie announces from the window and gets ready to go out into the cold night.
“Trin, do I look to shabby?” Haley asks adjusting her hair in the mirror.
“For Pete’s sake, Hal, it’s only Bruce and that awful Mr Pettyfer.” Trini snaps.
“Mr Pettyfer is coming?” Haley asks nervously. “You never said that before.”
“Why, yes. Bruce invited him along. They’re old friends you know, Mr Pettyfer’s father has done business with Old Man Wilder for years.”
“Trini! Haley! Let’s go!” Millie shouts and then runs toward the car. Before leaving, Haley adjusts her hair in the mirror once again, an action that Trini notices but won’t truly understand until much later.
They had a wonderful time, for Tulip and the Three Loyal Princesses was charming and brilliant. It was comical as can be, gorgeous princes and princesses and a divine castle. Once the play was over the girls speculated what it would be like to live among the rich, a nice big house, the finest things and the prettiest dresses. But as Haley said: “One can only dream for such things.”
When they got home, the girls found their mother reading in the parlour. Mrs Lake insisted that Teddy and Mr Pettyfer stayed for some hot cocoa, as the air outside was particularly cold.
Once the young men were settled Mrs Lake started her task. “Come help me make the drinks, Trini, dear.” Mrs Lake asks her daughter.
“I’ll help, Mommy. Trini, you go cut some more fire wood.” Haley tells her younger sister.
“Why don’t you go cut the fire wood?” Trini says with an injured air.
“Because poor Maya has already tidied the kitchen today and she doesn’t need you making a mess again.”
“I didn’t make a mess!” Trini exclaims. “That was Millie! I tried to clean it up, but you kept getting in the way!”
“I was trying to help!”
“You were being bossy!”
“Girls!” Mrs Lake says sternly. “Please, not when we have guests just in the next room. Now please apologise.”
“Sorry Mommy.” The girls say in unison.
“Not to me. To each other.” Mrs Lake says and shakes her head when they both refuse to. “Okay, go on both of you, back into the parlour.”
The storm cleared up, as both Teddy and Mr Pettyfer were such fine fellows they made the girls laugh so valiantly. Haley saw the error of her ways and apologised for being bossy and begged for forgiveness. Trini who had a soft spot inside her heart, forgave her sister immediately. They laughed at their awful tempers and the imitation of their argument by the two young men. For a brief moment, Mrs Lake couldn’t help but think that life was bliss, but knew that wasn’t true, as the realities of life would hit them once again.
In the dead of the night, when everyone was sleeping, Trini would retreat to the attic to read and think. On tonight’s reading agenda was letters that had been sent by her father, she only read them when she really missed him, and going to the theatre reminded her of all the grand times that they had when he was home. Knowing he was in the trenches, fighting to protect their country, crushed her spirit and made her weep. But now she was reading his wise and loving words, her spirit was once again full of joy and happiness.
A creak in the floor board makes Trini alert, but settles down once she sees the appearance of her sweet younger sister. “Why aren’t you sleeping, Sanna?” Trini whispers.
“Millie, kept kicking me in her sleep.” Sanna replies and lies down next to her older sister.
“Haley also kicks in her sleep. It’s like sleeping with a donkey!”
“By Jove, Trini!” Sanna exclaims. “Don’t compare Haley to a donkey. She’s a lady, not an animal.”
Trini cannot help but laugh at her sister’s scolding. “My upmost apologies, Susanna.”
“Trin, did you notice how strange Haley was acting?” Sanna says becoming serious.
“What do you mean?”
“She was always playing with her hair, and she was scolding a lot, more than usual.”
“I noticed the scolding.”
“Also, I don’t think she knew that I was paying attention to her, but I noticed her looking intensely at Mr Pettyfer as if she was infatuated with him.”
“That’s ridiculous, Sanna.” Trini scoffs. “Haley is far too young for such a silly emotion.”
“I hope so. I couldn’t bear it if our family was to split up.”
“Don’t worry, Sanny, our family will remain together until the end of time.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”

Chapter 4

“Oh, dear, I’ve really done it now.” Sighed Haley who was feeling particularly under the weather this morning.
“What’s wrong dearest?” Millie asks her older sister tenderly.
“I have burnt the hot cross buns we were supposed to have for breakfast. I’m such a clumsy puss.”
“They don’t look so bad.” Sanna says.
“Wait until you try them!” Trini exclaims spitting out her food.
“Are they really that bad?” Haley asks.
“Oh no, they taste fine, truly.” Sanna says encouragingly. “Don’t they, Millie?”
“Yes, quite lovely.”
“Don’t do me any favours, girls. I know I’m a terrible cook.” Haley says on the verge of tears.
“Come Haley, don’t fret.” Trini says tenderly. “You have an excellent talent for lots of activities, you shouldn’t get downhearted over such a silly thing!”
“I need to know how to cook! It is a skill that I will need for later in life.”
“But until that later life, maybe we should just use the buns as hand warmers.”
Haley let out a groan and fell back into her chair, remembering that it was her task to make breakfast for the rest of the week, turned scarlet and sobbed. When she met the eyes of her younger sisters, she realised how silly she was being and laughed until the tears ran down her face.
“What is all this laughter about?” Mrs Lake asks.
“Haley burnt the hot cross buns.” Millie answers.
“Have I missed the joke? I don’t quite understand.”
“No joke, Mommy. Haley has just realised perfection is not a requirement.” Trini says.
“Indeed I have. Now when I make a mistake, I will not get downhearted, but take it as a chance to learn something new!”
“Here! Here!” The girls exclaims.
“Come girls we must be going.” Haley says.
“Oh do have a good day, my dear sisters.” Trini says. “Millie don’t listen to those silly girls at school, you have a lovely nose. Sanna if all you can do is smile today then I will be ever proud of you. And my dearest Haley do not let Aunt Lorelai dampen your mood.”
“And you Katarina Lake don’t fret if you can’t do your numbers, I will help you when I get back.” Millie says.
“Do be kind to all you meet, my dear.” Sanna says and gives her older sister a kiss.
“And stay out of mischief.” Haley says.
At the end of the road, the girls would turn back to wave to their mother and sister, for they were always standing at the end of the garden path, whatever the weather may be.
“I wouldn’t blame mother if one day she decided not to wave us off, as the weather is so bitterly cold.” Cried Millie, who was struggling to stay upright in the snow.
“But she would never do that, as she is always kind, and mild-tempered.” Haley replies.
“I do hope Trini has a good day, she gets so awfully lonely when we are out all day, and that’s when she gets into mischief.”
“She’ll be fine, Sanny, don’t you worry about her.” Haley gives her younger sister an encouraging pat and a warm smile. A knock on the window from their elderly aunt breaks the moment of intimacy. “Oh blast, I’m tardy again!”
“And so are we.” Millie says.
The girls give each other a hug, clutching their burnt hot cross buns to their little bodies as it is their only source of warmth, and off they go to work and school, despite being tired and slightly grumpy they are ready to face the day with a cheerful spirit.
When Mr Lake left for the war, his young daughters did all they could to make matters easier for their mother. The two youngest daughters, although very young at the time, made sure to make themselves useful before and after school, helping out with the chores, and offering an encouraging word to lift everyone’s spirits. The two oldest daughters left school immediately and made it their goal to help and contribute to the family’s income. Trini started working for her mother, picking up and delivering laundry.
Haley sorted out work and eventually found herself working for her elderly Aunt Lorelai as her companion. Although the work was dreary and demanding, Haley knew that there would be a time where the old cantankerous lady would eventually fall asleep. She would then be left to be her own devices, and she would usually use this time to nip into town to play the royal concert grand at the theatre.
Since a very young age, Haley has loved the musical talent of one whom plays the piano. Every weekend, her father would take her to the theatre, and she would listen to the keys of the piano and committed them to memory. It wasn’t until her eighth year of life, when her father bought her a piano. It was her beloved treasure, and music was heard throughout the house at all times. When Mr Lake went off to war and the family became incredibly poor, Haley took it upon her self to sell her piano and get the money so they could buy winter coats. The little girl’s sacrifice was told throughout the town, and Mr Peter’s, who was the director of the theatre, made it known that she was allowed to come play their royal concert grand whenever her little heart desired.
Trini, who admired her older sister’s valiant act, promised to buy her new piano when she became “stinkingly rich” from all the pies she will sell when she opens up her bakery. Haley thanked her sister but told her it was not necessary. Although they argued most of their days, the two girls were each other’s trusted confidant as they were close in age and would often tell each other their qualms.
As apart of their sisterly duties, however, they made sure they were each responsible for their younger sisters. Haley had taken Millie under her wing from the moment she was born and because of the guidance and training from her oldest sister, she is well-mannered, and polite to all. Trini looked after Sanna as they both have big hearts. Although both extremely different in personalities and temperament, both have taught each other to be bold when needed, kind, and mild-tempered. All in all, the Lake sisters strive to remain close so they can help each other through trials and tribulations.
“Do tell me of your day, my dear girls.” Mrs Lake says once they had all settled in the parlour.
“I had a splendid day!” Trini exclaims. “Mrs Shaw paid me extra and told me to save the money for my bakery.”
“How lovely, Mrs Shaw is a very nice woman.” Mrs Lake says. “How about you Haley? You look tired, dear.”
“I most definitely am. Aunt Lorelai worked me like a dog, most people mellow out around the holidays, but not her.” Haley complains.
“I dread the day when I have to work for her.” Trini says.
“Me too.” Millie agrees.
“She is awfully scary.” Sanna says quitely.
“Now, now girls.” Mrs Lake warns. “I worked for Aunt Lorelai for a good fifteen years and I learned to endure it and you will also learn.”
“Yes, Mommy.” The girls say in unison.
“Millie, Sanna, how was your day?” Mrs Lake says.
“I had a dreadful day. Betsy Ross pulled my pig tails and I won’t even begin to tell you the awful things she said.”
“You will if it requires me speaking to her mother.”
“She told all the girls that my nose looks like a pigs and then she started making pig noises right in my face.”
“Looks like I will be speaking to her mother.”
“That Betsy Ross is truly a despicable human being.” Haley says.
“Don’t worry, Millie, just continue to be kind and mild-tempered.”
“I will Mommy.”
“And what about you Sanny? How was your day?”
“It was fine.” Sanna says quietly. “I sat with Odette and Cecile at lunch.”
“That’s good.” Mrs Lake says. “I had a splendid day myself! And I also have a surprise.”
“Is it a letter from father?” Trini exclaims.
“It is.” Almost immediately the girls were on their feet surrounding their mother demanding the letter to be read. “Okay hush now.”
“Dearest Family,
I am alive and well. I cannot believe another year has gone by and my little girls have grown older. When I left you were just girls and your mother now reports you are growing into young women. I am going to give you a little advice to each one of you. My dearest older daughter Haley, I am glad to hear you are enduring your trials and are taking on your role of becoming a young woman. However, I want you to remember that childhood does not last forever so savour the last few months you have of it. My wild girl Katarina, I am most definitely intrigued about this young Wilder boy you speak of so often in your letters and look forward to meeting him. Keep up your mischievous acts and keep the house happy and full of life. But remember to be useful to your mother and your sisters and you will live a happy life. My kind hearted Sanna, your mother has told me you have purchased a book on western medicine, does this mean we will have a doctor in the family? Continue to be kind, but use your boldness and do be afraid as your family will always be with you. My little gem Millie, I am glad to hear you have begun to help around the house and accompany your sisters to the market, continue to grow into a beautiful young woman. But I must remind you not to fret too much about your looks but concentrate on the person you are inside. And my beautiful wife Helena, I congratulate you on raising our beautiful daughters so valiantly. Stay strong my dear. If you do all these things then I will continue to be ever proud of my women of the Lake.
With all my love,
Father”

“Father really does have a way with words, doesn’t he?” Trini says.
“He does indeed.” The the other sisters agree.
“It’s going to be difficult but I’m going to try my awful hardest to do what Father says and try to be selfless.” Millie says.
“I shall try to be be bold.” Sanna says with conviction.
“I shall help out wherever I can!” Trini exclaims.
“I will savour my last few months of childhood.” Haley resolves.
“And I will remain strong.” Mrs Lake says.
With their newfound resolutions, the women of the house feel a sense of happiness and achievement and retire to bed with a joyful heart.

Chapter 5

“What on earth are you doing, Trini?” Haley asks on a blistering cold afternoon, as her sister came stomping through the hall with an axe in one hand and a rope in the other.
“I’m going to climb the tree outside and cut some of the branches.” answered Trini with a mischievous smile.
“What for?” Haley questioned.
“Art.” Trini answered with a twinkle in her eye.
“Trini, it is freezing outside. I think it is best that you stay inside so you don’t catch your death.” said Haley with a motherly tone.
“You know me, Hal, I’m not one to take the sensible option. I like adventure and mischief and mark my words I’m going to find it!”
Haley went back to her sewing, and Trini began her project. The air was crisp, and Trini cut the branches with all her might she worked up such a sweat that she threw her coat off. Trini looked out across at the the Wilder’s house. The house stood a few miles away from the city with large gardens, large yards and pretty flowers. Trini herself had never stepped inside the house but she imagined that it was luxurious.
Yet, it seemed lonely and lifeless and without joy. There were no children frolicking about on the yard or laughter coming out of the windows. The only persons that came and went were Old Man Wilder and his grandson. Trini never in her life had seen Teddy’s parents although he said that they were around. She felt sorry for the boy and always made sure he had an abundance of enjoyment whenever they were together to make up for the years of loneliness.
“Nice afternoon for a climb!” Old Man Wilder shouts up to the girl lodged in the tree.
“Yes, indeed! The air is so fresh today.” Trini replies politely.
“Is your mother around?”
“No, sir, she took my younger sisters into town. They were in desperate need for new winter boots.”
“Okay.” Old Man Wilder says nodding his head. “Well, I’ll leave you to it. Make sure you be careful now.”
“Is there anything I can help you with, sir?”
“Well, I don’t see why not.”
With that, Trini climbed down the tree, grabbed her coat, and hurried after Old Man Wilder who was almost at his door. Stepping into the Wilder household was like stepping into a whole new world. With a grand floor, chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, sconces and all other grand belongings. Trini could not hide the beaming smile on her face and wondered why it took her so long to come and visit.
“Your house is beyond beautiful, Mr Wilder.” Trini exclaims.
“Thank you, my dear.” Mr Wilder replies. “Right this way.”
“What is it exactly you need me to do, sir?”
“I’ve seemed to have had some sort of accident.” Old Man Wilder opens the door to his office to show Trini his “accident.” There was paint all over the floor and a painting easel tuned upside down. Biting back a laugh, Trini says: “I can see that.”
A few hours later and Trini was still on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor, she had got the paint all over her dress and in her hair. Old Man Wilder had gone off a little while ago to get some tea. Ever so often there would be a crash from the kitchen and Trini wandered if she should go check on him, but decided it would not be wise to disturb him.
“I wasn’t sure whether you would want tea or coffee so I bought you both.” Old Man Wilder announced coming into the room.
“Wow! I’m going to be bouncing off the ceiling tonight!” Trini exclaimed. Old Man Wilder simply chuckled before grabbing a rag and joins Trini ferociously scrubbing the floor.
“I’m sorry to keep you from whatever you were doing earlier. I started cleaning this up by myself but it got awfully lonesome.”
“I understand. Besides I always say a job done with others is a job well done.”
“Ah, I shall have to remember that.”
An hour later or so, Old Man Wilder and Trini had given up cleaning the floor and settled down for tea. “I say Mr Wilder if you covered the floor with a rug you wouldn’t even see your mishap.” Trini says.
“You have quite a tongue on you, don’t you?” Old Man Wilder says with a chuckle.
“Sorry.” Trini apologises.
“No, no, do not apologise, my dear. I think it is always best for a young lady to have some wit about her.”
“Well I have plenty of that.” Trini says in a mischievous way that would earn her a scolding from Haley.
A bell from across the way alerted Trini that supper was ready and that she must return home. She felt a sudden pang of sadness to leave the old man all alone. “If you don’t mind me asking, where is Teddy tonight?’
Old Man Wilder did not say anything for a moment, only smiled at how comfortable the young girl used the boy’s nickname that was only designated for close friends and family. “He’s out with his parents, they have gone to the theatre.”
“Did you not want to go with them?”
“Oh no, I wanted to stay in and catch up on my painting.” Old Man Wilder smiles mischievously. “And we both know how that went, don’t we?”
Trini laughs and places her cup and saucer on the table. “Thank you for the tea and the coffee, Mr Wilder. I really must be going now, but I must admit I would much rather stay here with you, then endure the scolding of my sisters.”
“Then make sure you come back soon.”
“I most definitely will!” Trini exclaims. “Goodnight, Mr Wilder.”
“Good night, my dear.”
Later that night, Trini found it especially difficult to sleep as her thoughts were occupied with the Wilders. It seemed although they lived in the house together they all lived separate lives. She found it extremely bizarre that Old Man Wilder would stay home all alone while his family went out. She hated being home all alone, but maybe the Wilders were just a different type of family. She didn’t really understand them, but she had decided that she liked them very much.
© Copyright 2018 S. E. Harlow (sophiaharlow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2164712-The-Women-of-the-Lake-Part-1