*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165814-Allister
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Alex
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #2165814
Free writing about finding inspiration in a tv show
         As he sat down to write his first work, Allister realized he was already doing what he didn’t want to do. He was once again repeating the path most traveled. Allister spent most of his life trying to do the opposite but often found himself in a similar position once he started something new. This time, it was writing. Allister had an urge to create. He had an urge to release. He had a natural gift for dreaming and he realized that when he combined it with a little hard work, something good could come of it. This wasn’t his first time, and it certainly wouldn’t be his last.
         He began writing. First, it came to him easily, because it was new. Things always come easy when they’re new, he thought. But after a while, things started to move slower. It seemed like things were coming to a grinding halt. The words, which once flowed from his brain to his fingertips were now only dripping out, like a clogged faucet.
         His only recourse was to keep going. Even though things weren’t easy, they had to get done. The words had to come out, and come out they would, he decided. To try and release the tap that was once overflowing, he decided to start watching something that would pique his interest. Something that would again inspire him to smith his words.
         Scrolling though his Netflix account, he gazed at each option, one by one. “No”, “No”, “No”, rolled through his mind over, and over again. Each option appearing less interesting to him than the previous. Eventually, he came to one that sparked something. It was “Californication”, featuring David Duchovny. He loved the show because it offered a brief glimpse into a lifestyle that Allister couldn’t seem to reach on his own. In addition to striving for originality, he also tried to be relaxed. Life, to him, was very hard. It offered plenty of suffering with little enjoyment. Perhaps Allister suffered from depression. This wasn’t as important to him as it was fighting it off and finding peace. So he did. He put the show on, and began watching.
         As the first episode played, Allister started daydreaming about a life he could have had, a life filled with enjoyment. As the show played, it inspired him, once again, to do things a little bit differently. This wasn’t the first time he watched this show, and it probably wasn’t going to be his last. Each time he watched the show though, he picked up something new to do with his own life. There was something about David Duchovny's character that he admired. That something was his characters strong hold on his life, without actually holding at all. Perhaps Allister was lazy, and this was another way that the laziness could take form. Regardless, it was happening, and it was good. The show played, and the words started coming again. Watching David Duchovny drive his Porsche, being greeted by endless women, and wearing the same black t-shirt inspired him.
         Once again writing, the faucet was running. Each word participating in a seemingly endless dance of letters and periods. This dance would only come to brief halts to manifest a thought as complete sentence. One after another, they continued coming. Each sentence building a larger picture. This picture of words constructed a path to new experiences, new feelings, and new attachments.

© Copyright 2018 Alex (alexseitsinger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165814-Allister