*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166451-Why-would-people-eat-dormice
by matthe
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2166451
A unique body swapping story about a girl switching places with someone. Read to find out
I'm so frustrated. Why do people think its alright to pick on me? Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. My name is tiffany and i'm 14 years old. People at school are rude. Most of the people at school ignore me. But the people who acknowledge my existence, they make fun of me for how I look and how I speak. I feel empty, worthless,and isolated. Why am I chosen to be the village idiot? I want to feel like I’m accepted and I don't want to feel like a weirdo anymore. One night, everything changed.

The night sky was black. The sky was black as blackberries among a colorful fruit salad. And the stars were shining bright. The stars reminded me of the gold star stickers I used to get on my papers in the third grade. Among those stars, there was something flying in the sky. It's a shooting star. My grandma always told me that if you made a wish on a shooting star, it would come true. I decided to try it out because I have nothing left to really lose. So I said out loud,’I wish I can become somebody else, Anybody else’. After that I went to bed, not thinking about what will happen in the morning.

After last night's shooting star, I was hoping for an uneventful day, but I was wrong. I open my eyes and the first thing that struck me was the color gray. it was like the grey from the graphite of a pencil. I looked around and there was that shade of grey all over the walls. There was no paintings and no posters on the walls.And the floor of the room is a lot cleaner than my room. Wait this is not my room.

I stand up and the first thing that struck me was the height. I was at least a foot taller than i was normally was. What the heck was going on? Then I ran to the mirror that was on the wall and what i saw shocked me. Instead of seeing a 5 foot 2 girl with black hair and brown eyes, I saw a 6 foot 1 guy with blond hair and blue eyes. I waved and the man in the mirror matched it. Yep I was him.

Ok, I cannot panic. There is probably a logical explanation for why I woke up as a guy. Who i'm kidding, there is not logical explanation for why this happen. Wait, I made a wish on a shooting star to become somebody else. My wish came true, but why him though i'm still not sure. Hopefully he is popular, I have always dreamed of being a popular kid.

Now I need to get ready for school. For the first time ever, I don't what to wear to school. I opened the drawers of the dresser. I quickly put on a pair of jeans and a light blue long sleeve shirt. After getting dressed, I found his wallet and phone. I felt weird looking through someone else's wallet but I didn't have a choice. I don't even know the name of the person I am in. I pulled out his driver licence and read the name on it,’Tom Anderson.’ Well I'm tom for the day. All of a sudden, I heard a woman's voice saying:
‘Tom, I'm leaving for work, The keys are on the dining room table.’
‘Ok, mom.’ I quickly replied

After I heard the front door slammed, I ran downstairs, grabbed his keys, put on his sneakers, and ran out the door. The car that was in the driveway was a gray, 2010 toyota prius. It's a nice car but it looks very small. I know how to drive because my older sister taught me how even though i'm not old enough to drive. That remains our little secret.

Im both excited and nervous for today. I'm excited because I won't have to deal with the bullying that I normally have to deal with. But i'm nervous because I don't know who tom is. I never met tom before. I don't how he acts or who he's friends with. Lets just say i'm not rushing to school today.

I finally got to school. I walked into the school confident on the outside but freaking on the inside. All of a sudden, I see my older sister kate running towards me. How does she know tom? Wait a minute…..
‘How are you today tom,’ kate said
‘Good,’ I replied hoping I sounded convincing
‘That's good, are we still on for the movie tonight?’
‘Yes,’ I replied, not realizing what I have just done
‘Awesome, See you at 6.’
‘See you then.’

It looks like i'm going on a date with my sister. Why didn't I talk myself out of it? I can't believe that tom is dating my sister. Then again, she did mention that her boyfriend’s name is tom, but I never saw him before. I need to find the real tom. If i'm stuck as him for the day, I need to at least know how to act like him. After a few minutes, I found him in my body. It looks like, he combed my hair, wearing my favorite dress and black flats. I will give him lots of credit, he looks exactly like how I would look. He quickly runs up to me.

Tom: this is really creepy. First off, who are you?
Me: im Tiffany, kate’s sister
Tom: Really, ok I did not see that coming. Why am I you then?
Me: your guess just as good as mine
Tom: maybe there's some sort of lesson we have to learn from it
Me: well we don't have time to figure that out now. Class starts in 5 minutes. Tell me everything I would have to know to pass off as you.
Tom: um ok? My name is tom, and as you know i'm dating your sister. I'm the captain of the swim team. We don't meet today so you don't need to worry about it. My friends are dave and mike. You will know who they are. I'm usually very social.
Me: you already know my name. I'm not a part of any teams or clubs. At lunch, I usually sit with kate and her friends. I'm antisocial and people do bully me
Tom: oh great. My schedule is in my backpack.
Me: mine too, good luck tiffany
Tom: you to tom

I pulled the schedule out of my backpack, and his first class history. As the teacher is lecturing about the french revolution, all i'm thinking about is how tom doing in my classes. I feel so bad, he doesn't know that I wished for this. But who knows, maybe he will learn a lesson from being me.

The other three classes I had before lunch were uneventful. When I got to cafeteria, I saw tom as me sitting at a table with kate and her friends. I wish I can go over there and see how things are going but it would be too awkward seeing tom talk to his girlfriends sister. So I sat with tom's friends and the rest of the swim team. They were talking about the ryan lochte robbery scandal that happen at rio a week ago. Why would he lie? It doesn't matter anyway, he properly do dancing with the stars or something like that. Its nice to have a conversation rather than sitting quietly at lunch. I can get use to this.

I survive to his last class, which was art class. I went to the room and saw me. I didn't know I had art class with him. To be fair, I had no idea who he was until I woke up as him. Before I could say anything, the art teacher started talking.’ Alright for today, you will be drawing dormice. Dormice is a type of mouse that was commonly eaten during ancient rome. Use the pictures on the table to help you. This is due before the end of class.’

Once the teacher finished talking. I can finally have an conversation with tom again.
Me: How was your day?
Tom: um not comment
Me: it was that bad, wasn't
Tom: yes it was that bad. How do deal with all the bullying?
Me: I don't deal with it, I learn how to work around it. I am emotionally on my own
Tom: its weird. You never understand what someone goes though unless you put yourself in their shoes. Do you talk you sister about this?
Me: no, I don't feel like she can help me. But maybe I should.
Tom: you should. Anyway, did you enjoy your day as me
Me: I did. I enjoyed being popular or at least not having people judge me and bully me every 5 seconds. I can get used to this. Besides bullying, how your day?
Tom: I did enjoy the day besides that. I didn't have to worry saying the wrong things to people. I felt no pressure talking to people, so I was very relaxed. But I still want to switch back. It's very weird seeing myself.
Me: i'm not sure that I want to switch back yet.
Tom: you will change your mind once you go on a date with your sister. Anyway, i will help you deal with the bullies once we switch back. I promise.

Why would people eat dormice, I thought as I finished my drawing. Its nice that tom said he would help me once we switch back. But I don't believe him. I have heard teachers saying that they would help but nothing did happen. I will believe it when I see it.

After art class, I rushed to tom's car and drove back to his house. During the car, I started talking to myself out loud. ‘I should have told him that I made a wish on a shooting star. I was just too ashamed to tell him I caused it. But I did enjoy having friends and not being bullied. I just don't want to take that away from someone else though. Now I have to get ready to go on a date with my sister. I guess this is the universe’s way of punishing me.’

I got to the house and ran straight up to tom's room. His parents were not there. Where are his parents? I have to figure that out later. I opened his closet and it was very messy. It was cluttered and clothing everywhere. I decided on a light blue collared shirt and light tan cargo pants. I put on the clothing and sprayed his cologne on me. I can't believe my first date is going to be with my sister. I just have to roll with it

At 6, I drove over my house and picked up kate. She was wearing a white dress, and she did look nice. Once she got in the car, she put on the radio. The adele song skyfall was on. She started singing to the lyrics of it and she said ‘ this is my favorite song.’ ‘mine too,’ I quickly replied. This is going to be a long night.

After a car ride that seem like a century, we got to the movie theater. I told her to pick out whatever movie she wanted. She decided on a cheesy romantic comedy. That's not real surprise, she always liked those types of movies. We sat down, and I started to panic. I don't know how to be a guy let alone being one on a date. During the movie, I put my arm around her. I've seen many guys do this in tv shows and movies. I feel really awkward right now.

After the movie, I drove her home. The movie was quite boring. I can see now why men hate those types of movies. During the ride home, she talked about her day and I acted like I was listening. Dating is one social aspect I can live without it. Once I pulled up to the house, she gave me a kiss on the lips and walked out. I wish I had some hand sanitizer..

I got back to tom's house and ran up to his room. This time I didn't even bother checking if his parents were home. I threw myself on the bed. All the actions of today came rushing into my head. From waking up, to watching tom deal with my life, and having to date my sister. I came to the realization that I will never switch back, and honestly I can live with that. I will never have to deal with bullying again and have friends. I do feel bad for tom, but sometimes that the price you have to pay. There is only question left that I want answered: why would people eat dormice?
© Copyright 2018 matthe (matthewan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166451-Why-would-people-eat-dormice