*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166772-Home
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2166772
Dialogue between soldiers
"Think we will make it home by this time next year?"

"Don't be an idiot."

"You really think it'll take longer than"

"I meant don't be thinking about shit like that. Focus on today. Christ all you kids are the same..."

"Kids? You're what five years older than me? How are you any less of a kid?"

"Five years is a god damn eternity... I can't even remember five months ago..."

"..."

"I was probably sitting here in this same hole, swatting at the same rats... they're all fatter now... I think I remember getting some new socks..."

"... It was my girl's birthday yesterday... I wrote a letter wishing her a Happy Birthday, said I should be home for the next one."

"That was probably a mistake."

"What the hell is your problem? Just because you've been here longer you think you are wiser or something? You know some of us still have hope we'll get through this."

"Another mistake."

"So what you really think we are all going to die? Is that it? No-one will survive this?"

"We may not die but we won't survive."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"... I used to go to the market every Saturday morning with my... I would go to this one stall that always had the best fruit. Apples, grapes, they even had oranges once. The man at the stall would ask me about my job, he had a little boy who wanted to be carpenter... he wanted to build things. I used to build things... houses and buildings, shit I even built him a swing set, I think that's why he wanted to be a carpenter."

"So you are like a hero to that kid, don't you want to go back and teach him how to build things?"

"Can't."

"What why not? You don't remember how? You think THIS is all you are good at now? That's bull man, you aren't just a killer."

"I can't because that stand used to be about 50 feet that way."

"...Shit. You mean you're... you were..."

"Yup a local... This was my town... I can't even remember that kids name."

"I... I'm sorry... I didn't know."

"Whatever, how could you? Not really that many of us left... Look I'm sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade. I hope you make it home for her next birthday."

"Ya... thanks..."

"..."

"What's that sound?"
© Copyright 2018 Camradio (camradio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166772-Home