*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2170954-Infected
by Sage
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2170954
a short story of two best friends. Set post-zombie apocalypse.
Our footsteps thundered with echoing thuds in the damp tunnel, vying for dominance over the sounds of our own ragged breathing. The sounds of the ghoul’s incessant moans, though ever present, were distant enough to heed the urge of the white-hot pain in my lungs.
I fell to the ground with a clatter of rifle on concrete as I felt Jacob, my closest friend and brother do the same beside me. For several moments we lay on our backs, reveling in the cool of the damp tunnel ground. The only sounds outside of the haunting cacophony of undead wails were our gasps as we tried in vain to gulp enough of the cool tunnel air to ease our hammering hearts. Finally I let out a long, low whistle.
“Whew! We cut it kinda close that time, boy!” I choked past my struggle for air. “I’d have wanted that on video if- you know- there was anyone left to watch that shit.”
My morbid joke missed its mark, but I didn’t care. I was sky high. Elated to even be alive. I pushed myself to my feet with the last dregs of unused adrenaline coursing through my veins.
“Holy fuck, bruh!” I exclaimed, perhaps a bit louder than was prudent as Jacob pushed himself into a sitting position and leaned against the wall. “Before you even say it, I seen that slick two for one you pulled off, mother fucker. Shit was dope, but don’t think I’m not gonna get me one!”
Jacob sat non-responsive, chest still heaving, then to my surprise, he began shrugging off gear. Rifle, pack, spare ammo, canteen. All began dropping to the cool, moist ground.
“Hey, the fuck are you doing?” I demanded. “ Yo, Ja-“
“Kenny.” He said, cutting across me. “Take this shit. I’m done. I’m FUCKING done!” He accentuated his words by sending a compass skipping across the ground.
“Ay man, what the fuck?! This aint the time for-.” A peal of cold horror robbed me of my next words. I felt my heart drop past my boots as he held out his arm and I saw it; a death sentence as sure as a bullet to the head.
The wound was ragged and deep, but it was clear what had caused the gash that now freely bled onto Jacobs outstretched legs. I could even see the arch of the jaw of whichever of the fiends got lucky enough to get its mouth within the deadly dance of my friend’s rifle rounds.
My mind was spinning. Nothing made sense. This wasn’t how things were supposed to go. I could see the image of me and Jacob, the only family I had left, emerging unscathed from this zombie hell evaporating in my mind’s eye. I realized I had been standing mute for quite some time. I couldn’t find words, so action would have to do.
I reached into my cargo pants and pulled out a small first aid kit. Dropping to my knees before him, I began dressing the wound.
“There’s no fucking point in that.” Jacob muttered, but it was half-hearted at best. “You know what you have to do.”
I finished bandaging his wound and fell against the tunnel wall, sliding defeatedly down it to rest beside my dear friend.
“Yeah,” I said blandly. “I know.” I reached into my pocket again and pulled out a small round pill. One of three left, and held it out to Jacob.
“I cant believe it.” He said, ignoring the painkiller. We were so careful…”
“We were perfect.” I agreed. “I guess…perfection wasn’t enough. I guess in Z-world the only thing that’s guaranteed is that somehow, some place…we all get got.”
“You gotta make it man.” He said. “You’ll be the one to do it.”
“Not without you.” I responded in a monotone. “There isn’t a point. We all go sometime. I don’t want to live in this world alone.”
“Come on, bruh, don’t let this bullshit be the last memory I have of you.” Jacob chuckled weakly. “You’re Kenny! The laughing madman! The crazy mother fucker that loves this zombie shit.”
“I did say that, didn’t I” I whispered. “Its funny. You’re bit, and you’re the one consoling me.”
“Well I’m just about out of this shit hole. You gotta stay in the fight. Why wouldn’t I be the one consoling you?”
I laughed at the ironic truth in my friend’s words. The release of death, at the time of your own choosing seemed to me like ambrosia.
“I can feel it.” Jacob said soberly. I looked at my friend. He had changed so much since the days of XBOX and PS4 on the couch. He was lean, his face stern. He had been transformed into a warrior.
“It feels bad. It’s like feeling death crawling across your skin.”
“I guess in all this time I never waited long enough to hear what it feels like.” I admitted, more to myself than to him. “One bite, one bullet. That’s always been my rule.”
“And its not gonna change now.” Jacob said sternly. “You will do what you have to do. I’m ready. I’ve been ready since…”
“Ivy.” I finished for him. “I know. I could tell. I could always tell. In how reckless you became. How aggressive. You hated them almost as much as I loved killing them.”
“Yeah,” He agreed. “And don’t act like you’ve been the same. You used to wake up swinging. Now you wake up crying. It’s the only time you’re honest with yourself. You need to watch yourself. I won’t be out there to help you.”
“You’ve always had my back.” I said, tears flowing freely, though they were ignored. “And you always will.”
“I love you brother.” He said quietly.
“I should have saved you.”
I felt his hand grasp me by the neck, then he pulled me in and we embraced. We stayed that way for a long time.
“It’s in me deep.” Jacob said. “I can feel it killing me. It hurts. It’s time. Kenny, I cant do it myself.”
I sighed shudderingly. It was all I could do to not burst into uncontrollable sobs. I pushed myself to my feet and pulled my pistol. Its familiar weight was unfriendly in my hand. I couldn’t even look at it.
“You got this, brotha.” He said. He smiled a smile of absolute relief and I knew that the only thing staying my hand was my own selfishness in letting my lifeline go. I hardened my mind and my will, but the tears refused to stop. Silent rivers that spoke all my pain and anguish; My fear and loathing.
“You’re my best friend, Jacob.” I quavered. “You’re the only one I have left.” My hands shook. It seemed I would shoot the ground before I could shoot my friend. I slowly raised my pistol.
“I know.” He responded, still with a wan smile. “But there aint no respawn points in RL. If there is something on the other side, I’ll see ya there.”
“Huh.” I scoffed. “If there is something on the other side, lets just hope that they don’t moan and eat flesh.”
We both laughed mildly at the thought of a heavenly zombie apocalypse, then fell silent again as the pressure of the situation pressed in again. My pistol was now leveled at the forehead of my greatest friend. Jacob pressed his eyes closed and his body seemed to clench in pain.
“Hey Jacob?”
“Yeah, bud-“ The report of my gun silenced any further comment from my best friend. He slumped over sideways and was still. Released from this world of horror. For a moment the world felt as though it would implode. Like everything would simply cease to exist in some cataclysmic event. Then it didn’t end. Then it kept going. Then the moans returned to my ears. All my experience in Z-World told me to move but I was rooted. Then I heard Jacobs voice, as clear as the gunshot a moment before.
‘Come on.’ It said. ‘Loot and move. You know the rules.’
“Alright, boss.” I said aloud. “Let’s roll.”
I quickly gathered the items I saw as most useful; easiest to add to my own gear and secured it. Then I heard it: the unmistakable sound of a ghoul that had singled out a target. It made its trudging way toward me from the end of the tunnel we had entered. Jacobs rifle in my hands wheeled on it.
‘Take it.’ Jacob said. ‘You know what to do.’
“You don’t gotta tell me, bruh.” I responded.
“Suck it, fleshbag.” We both said simultaneously. There was a sound of thunder and the zombie dropped, spraying viscera from the back of its head and painting the walls behind it..
“Nice kill, Jacob.” I said, impressed with the accuracy.
‘Come on, that wasn’t shit.’ He responded with a slight scoff. ‘Lets get out here and I’ll show you some real marksmanship.’
“Bet you can’t keep up with me.” I sneered.
‘We’ll see.’ He laughed.
With one final shrug, I hoisted the extra gear, leveled Jacobs rifle, and broke into a jog out into the bright daylight.
“Watch this double kill mother fucker.” I cried, letting loose a round. With a roar I charged forward, into the unknown. Me and my best friend; my brother.
© Copyright 2018 Sage (dacheme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2170954-Infected