*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176460-Dex-prompts-93-Haunter-White-version
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Death · #2176460
Pokedex prompts
This is part of a new idea I'm using to try and write more. I will try to, whenever inspired, use a random pokedex entry picker to choose a Dex entry, and I will use that entry to write a short story of at least 500 words. So here is #93, White Version entry for Haunter. (640 words). Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Prompt:
It likes to lurk in the dark and tap shoulders with a gaseous hand. Its touch causes endless shuddering.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Aynur Naseer was not having a great time. Earlier this same day, she had decided to do some in-person research on a local myth, that of a ghost in one of the many abandoned houses in her city of Jing Jin. Such stories were not uncommon for this city, as it was, in fact, largely unpopulated. A city built in a very short time, that no one seemed to want to move into. Still though, she enjoyed exploring the city. There was always something new to find.
So here she was, outside the home. It was a cozy two story, plus attic. Largely made of brick and wood, with clay roof tiles. A concrete pond to one side of the building, the water a sickly greenish color. She walked towards it, taking a closer look. There were miniature boats in it, lazily floating around with the breeze pushing them along. As she watched them floating, something seemed to rise towards the surface. It almost looked like a face, but a strangely distorted one, all dark, with overly spiked hair.
She stumbled back, and rubbed her eyes to maybe clear them, and when she looked again, the figure was gone. Her spine prickled, hairs on her body rising straight up, and goosebumps forming. She looked around the yard, eventually seeing a stick, which she used to poke into the pond water, finding it to be not very deep, and certainly not deep enough for a person to have floated up through the water in it.
Shaking her head, she quickly moved towards the house. "This is ridiculous. Get a hold of yourself. Ghosts aren't real, you know that. You're only here to explore the place. All the myth you heard did was pique your interest, not make you a believer," she said to herself.
The door had the keys in the lock, another not-uncommon sight in the city. She turned them, unlocking the door, and walked in, shutting it behind her. Almost immediately, she felt something on her shoulder, something soft and with a little give to it, but still very much there, and spun around.
The face from the pond looked back at her, and she screamed, backpedaling until she hit a wall, causing her to blink, and like that, it was gone. It had been some huge purple monstrous thing, with no legs, big hands, and was just floating there in midair, not like a person at all. What she had thought was the water distorting a person's face was really just this things' face as it normally was, apparently.
Even so, having seen it twice, Aynur did not want to believe, would not let herself believe. "G-ghosts. Aren't. R-real," she said, shuddering from the sudden cold that now filled her body. She forced herself to move away from the wall, and walk through the living room, into the kitchen. It was a fully furnished house, it seemed, furniture and appliances already there, placed and installed appropriately. Her shaking got worse, the cold creeping in more and more.
She looked through the cupboards, finding an odd mishmash of different styles of plates, bowls, and silverware. As she searched, she heard a faint whispering. "Haaaaaauuuuunterrrrrrr....."
Moving quickly towards the stairs, her shuddering getting worse and worse by the second, she began to quickly climb them, trying to get away from the voice, and to warm up with some faster movement. Upon reaching the top however, the creature appeared before her, it's eyes burning into hers, the last of her warmth seeming to be almost ripped from her body, her shrill, piercing scream echoing through the house as she fell down the stairs, her body holding the position she was in when she had seen the monster, frozen solid by her fear, and eyes wide, wide open, staring at nothing.

© Copyright 2018 Felicity Sinclair (juzosuzuya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176460-Dex-prompts-93-Haunter-White-version