*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177150-The-Exoplanet
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2177150
Inspired by Heart of Darkness (SCREAMS contest winner!)
It was hard to forget a man like Kurtz.

His smile was genuine, blue eyes twinkling with excitement.

"It's pleasure to meet you." I stammered, taken off guard by that carefree grin. "Oh no," He said. "The pleasure is all mine." There was warmth in that response, a rare sincerity.

I struggled to avoid being pulled by his charisma, an unseen force he exuded effortlessly. It wasn't long before the crew members were chattering around Kurtz, human satellites revolving around his planetary charm.

Squirming in an uncomfortable seat, I gazed out the shuttle window. Stars glinted in the distance, shining from unexplored galaxies. My fingers itched to mark them on a map, recording my discoveries for future generations of intrepid cosmonauts.

"Attention passengers," an electronic recording droned. "We will be reaching the exoplanet Proxima Centauri in approximately ten minutes. Please return to your seats and fasten all re-entry restraints."

I watched my compatriots comply, smiling as I noticed one having a difficult time making sense of the numerous straps.

"Hey Marlow." A silky voice called for my attention.

Kurtz gestured at the device sitting on my lap. "So what's your job on this mission? Is that some sort of scanner?"

Lovingly, I ran my hands over the steel metal frame. "That's a good guess. This is what some call the pinnacle of modern cartography." His interest was piqued. "Ah, so you're the mapper?" Kurtz raised an eyebrow, eyeing the electronic equipment.

I chuckled. "To put it bluntly, yes. I deploy micro satellites, capturing images of the terrain and piece it all together with this bad boy."

Kurtz laughed melodiously. I almost wanted to join his infectious merriment.

"How about you?" I asked.

"Oh, my duties?" Kurtz grinned broadly. "I get to hob-nob with the indigenous life forms."

The robotic voice interrupted the chit-chat.

"We are now entering the exoplanet atmosphere. Turbulent re-entry is expected to last for several minutes."

This was the part I hated most.

Gravity compressed my spine as pressure started building within a pounding skull. I thought my eyeballs would burst as the cabin shook. Daring to peek out the window, I saw green lightning crackling within a nebulous cloud.

And then the weight was lifted.

With a faint hiss, the cabin depressurized. Relieved, I took several deep breaths of recycled air. Kurtz seemed unfazed by the traumatic experience.

"Are you excited, Marlow? We are about to be pioneers of a new Earth!" While I shared his enthusiasm, mine was limited to the simple joy of filling in blank spaces. Kurtz seemed... more ambitious in scope.


Proxima Centauri was a small planet located within range of a red dwarf star. On paper, it seemed habitable. Investigations into the atmosphere were positive, the solar cycle was sufficient and reports came back supporting evidence that it was populated by a species of unknown origin.

All of this was certainly true, but the data neglected to mention the high velocity winds, rushing over the surface with unimaginable speeds.

If it wasn't for the automated excavation equipment, we would have been torn to pieces in the maelstrom above. Like rodents we lived in dark tunnels, just wide enough to pass through. There was some light, but there weren't enough nuclear batteries to go around.

Kurtz suggested we use the ship's solar panels, but they were damaged during re-entry. Our only hope now was to send a message back to Earth, waiting for supplies in the long darkness.

"What do you think the aliens are like?" I asked him, munching on a freeze-dried dinner. Kurtz shrugged. "Not a clue. Personally I'm hoping they're the finest chefs in the galaxy." He wrinkled a nose at the flavorless bolognese.

I chuckled. "Seriously, what if they are hostile? Is that something you xenopologists are prepared for?" Kurtz frowned at my question, giving it thought.

"We are a strange species, if you really think about it. We're always making problems, killing neighbors over petty squabbles and refusing to help anyone but ourselves. If I was an intelligent extraterrestrial I would stay very far away from humans."

At first, I thought this was another jest, but his expression was grim. I swallowed.

"Sounds like you think rather poorly of us." I said jovially in an attempt to lighten the mood. Kurtz smiled sadly. "You would be right."

This was a new side to Kurtz, territory I was exploring for the first time. Mentally, I marked it on an imaginary chart. "Is there a reason behind that?"

He said nothing for a time.

"Hearts of darkness lie within us all." With that Kurtz stood, leaving me alone to ponder his words.


Some days later, we established first contact with the aliens.

Like us, they burrowed underground to escape the fierce solar winds. With spade-like appendages and thick hides, they formed subterranean colonies that Kurtz had the pleasure of witnessing first hand.

A master linguist, he managed to pick up several words in their language. "I think the best translation would be Delvers?" Kurtz muttered, looking up from pages of notes he'd made. They adored him.

The Delvers, that is.

He entertained them in countless ways, turning his charm up to the max. Kurtz was in his element, demonstrating the marvels of our technology to the aliens.

Everyone else felt uneasy around the leathery life forms. Nothing about the creatures was remotely humanoid. When I came across one, it observed me with four black unblinking eyes until it scurried away, chittering.

"What are their intentions?" Captain Conrad would ask, her concern growing with each day. Every time Kurtz would give the same reply. "Just harmless curiosity, they've never met another species before."

But something felt different.

Kurtz joked with us, but his eyes didn't match the warm smile.

He began spending more time with the Delvers, saying he was conducting valuable research. I thought nothing of it, since mapping labyrinthine tunnels cost me many a sleepless night.

But hearts of darkness lay within us all.

A scream woke me from dreamless slumber.

Stumbling, I pulled on my boots and rubbed my groggy face. Another shrill cry arose, fading into a strangled gurgle.

Fear washed over me, removing any traces of drowsiness. Grabbing a laser pistol and several power cells, I ventured into the unlit tunnels.

Anybody else would have been stumbling in the dark, but I knew every inch of these passages. My pocket scanner beeped quietly as I softly tread down the narrow paths.

Slipping into a separate shaft, I continued toward the communications center. Whatever was going on, someone there would know.

The first thing I saw was blood. It was everywhere. Soaked into dashboards and covering the stone floor with crimson stains. Dismembered bodies were slumped over cracked screens, powerful holes punched into their flesh. A gory torso lay before me, pale entrails glistening in the artificial light.

Bile rose as I turned away from the senseless massacre.

Head spinning, I tried to comprehend the situation when a voice called out from the shadows.

"Hey, Marlow." Kurtz stepped out from the tunnel.

A dangerous expression flickered across his crazed face. Behind him, several Delvers clacked bloody claws as they watched me carefully.

"Kurtz." I spat, realizing his betrayal.

He pretended to be hurt by the coldness in my tone.

"Oh come now Marlow, I had to! It was the only way." Kurtz sighed.

"The only way?" I was disgusted and astounded.

The traitor shrugged. "It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice." The Delvers behind him grew restless.

I spoke quickly, hoping to distract their leader. "Nightmare? I thought you wanted to help create a new Earth?"

Kurtz snarled, madness twisting his features. "How long until mankind starts polluting this planet with selfish greed? How long before we spread our corruption through the entire universe?"

He pointed a judging finger, accusing me of crimes I'd never committed.

The Delvers crept forward eagerly, insect eyes glinting.

I raised my laser pistol.

Kurtz laughed with unhinged glee.

"That's not cartography equipment, Marlow. Sure you know how to use it?"

I fired a blast at the creatures behind him. They hissed, cowering from the powerful beam.

Kurtz applauded. "A brave effort, but a foolish one." He brushed stone dust from his space suit. "I'll take pleasure in watching you die."

I grinned broadly. "Oh no, the pleasure is all mine."

Firing wildly, white beams hummed in every direction, striking aliens, scorching their thick hides. Screeching in pain, they retreated into the gloom.

Kurtz stared at the hole burning in his chest with disbelief.

"Marlow-" He coughed.

I said nothing.

Sinking to the ground with a sigh, Kurtz whispered his final words.

"We live as we dream -- alone..."

I sat with him, until the end.

Warped his morality may have been, a nugget of truth was buried there.

Hearts of darkness lay within us all, for the mind of man is capable of anything.

(Word count: 1,493)

© Copyright 2018 Ray Scrivener (rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177150-The-Exoplanet