*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177314-The-Grown-Up
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2177314
She finds an adult response to a cruel prank.
”They lied to you!”

“What? ... Who?”

“Your new ‘Friends.‘ They told you you’re being considered for a part of their group, but it’s probably a trick.”

“What are you talking about, mom, they said there was a costume party tomorrow night and I was invited so they could get to know me.”

“I know, sweetheart, but it sounds like what happened to me when I was about your age.”

“But, mom, they seem a lot nicer this year. Why shouldn’t they want me?”

“Sometimes young women can be very cruel, sweetie, it’s not about you, they do it because they feel superior to everyone else and have to show it.”

“But...”

“Is it the same ones who made fun of your clothes last year?”

“Yeah, so what? You keep telling me people change so why couldn’t they?”

“They could, sweetie, but I’d be very careful. Think about it, what if they are the same? What will you do? I recommend doing whatever you can to not cry, that’s what they want.”
~
“Hi, love, how’d it go?”

“You were right. I got there and no one was wearing a costume. They all laughed and said I was dressed badly for a formal party. I copied you and said I was dressed appropriately for the meeting of Liars Incorporated I was invited to. I wanted to cry so bad, but I didn’t. I said, ‘You are the snooty, stuck up little lying bitches my mother said you were.’ Then I just walked away and I never cried. Sorry, I stuck ‘bitches’ in, but they deserved it.”

“It’s okay, sweetie, you have my permission. I used much less appropriate ones for a 13 year old. How did you feel?”

“Great, mom, thank you ... I love you, mom.”

“Thank you, my grown up sweetheart.”
© Copyright 2018 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177314-The-Grown-Up