*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2186883-A-chilling-Tale
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2186883
Chilling tale of strange happenings
A lovely couple called Jean and Ben who are in their early 30's and have a beautiful 8 month old boy named Jackson are currently impatiently waiting for Jean's mother to come around and take Jackson for the night so they can spend some quality time together for the first time since Jackson was born.
A knock at the door symbolises Jean's mother has arrived, so packed and ready they ship off Jackson with plenty of hugs, kisses and advice for Jean's mother who reassures them he will be fine with her and to go have some fun. The car slowly leaves the drive to their massive 4 bedroom house that's situated in a very small and quiet village. They both head back in from waving goodbye to Jackson and Jean's mother and lock the front door, at which point Ben looks at Jean and says "What do we now? It feels weird to be alone." They both laugh and Jean replies "Cuddles?"
They both head into the front room and crumble into each others arms on the big corner sofa in the far end of the room.

Many hours later, its pitch black outside with no sign of life in the village and their peaceful slumber is disturbed by the cry of Jackson over the baby monitor that has been left on out of habit.
"It's your turn!" says Jean half asleep.
"He's at your mums." Ben replies while turning over to bury his head into the back of the sofa cushion to go back to sleep. In sync, they both abruptly look at each other with panic and disconcert, both of their attention is quickly stolen by the change of "hey I'm here and awake" cry to "I'm really hurt and need help" cry coming over the monitor.
Jean tries to call her mother's mobile and home phone whilst Ben scrambles from the front room and over the slippery, reflective marble flooring in the hallway and up the stairs towards Jackson's room. As Ben flings open Jackson's door the cries of agony suddenly stop and an eerie silence fills the air surrounding him. He slowly heads towards the cot based in the middle of the large room, shadow turns to picture as he approaches and sees a mangled version of his beautiful son laying in the cot, lifeless with arms broken and limbs twisted in all sorts of directions. Blood covers Jackson's cold looking face while the rest of his body has a blue and purple tint to it. The lifeless infant seems to be staring deep into his daddy's eyes when Jean charges in and Ben's heart misses a beat and he jumps out of his skin, he then turns back to face what is now an empty and perfectly made up cot.
"I cant get hold of her Ben!" Jean says shaking.
Before Ben even has a chance to answer or tell Jean what he has seen the home phone starts to ring from the master bedroom next door to Jackson's room.
"It's probably mum!" Jean says with a bit of relief with an upset undertone. Ben has one last look in the empty cot before going to catch up with Jean who's already running into the master bedroom to answer the phone.
By the time Ben enters the master bedroom Jean has already picked up the phone and is stood looking out of a window on the left of the door that Ben has just entered through.
"Miss Whitmore?" a rather soft professional voice said.
"Yes, who's this?" says Jean.
"It's the police, unfortunately we have some bad news for you, your mum and your son have been involved in an accident and they're both dead"................................
© Copyright 2019 Davey Charles (d.scarlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2186883-A-chilling-Tale