*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187718-Corridors
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2187718
A very short story.
Corridors, endless corridors. I stopped again at another junction of corridors to read the bewildering array of signs that seemed to point the way to every location except the one I needed.

I moved to one side out of the way of the many people who were passing in all directions. My frustration was slowly turning to anger. I caught a glimpse of a smile on the face of someone as they passed, it seemed as though they understood and were amused by my predicament. My mind went over the many things I would like to say to the people responsible for the signs in this building.

My reverie was interrupted as a small hand took hold of mine. I looked down.

"I can show you the way", said a small boy smiling brightly as he tugged my hand.

My surprise must have been evident for he repeated his words and tugged again.

"I can show you the way"

I looked around for a parent and spotted a man a few paces away looking at me, nodding and smiling encouragingly.

His presence gave me enough reassurance to speak. "Thank you, it's very good of you to help me, but how do you know where I am going?", I answered the boy with half an eye on the person I assumed was his father.

The boy responded as he continued tugging on my hand, "You're looking for the right way".

As is so often the way with small children the simplicity of his words left me unable to answer for a moment. He continued to tug on my hand, pulling me in the direction of his father. I let him take me to him.

His father smiled and said "You don't need a sign, let Jonah lead you. He knows the way".

I didn't understand why but my frustration fell away and a peace descended.
© Copyright 2019 Andrew John (an10ny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187718-Corridors