*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2191183-Fool-Yourself
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Parenting · #2191183
Never Let Them See You Sweat. (Quotation Inspiration & WDC Sountrackers Contest)
I picked up my pass at the visitors desk, and I was glad to do it. It was at least the illusion of security, and for people who couldn't see the glaring holes everywhere else, it might do the trick. They hadn't precisely told me the issue, just that I needed to come get my daughter, and that it wasn't an emergency. The pleasant lady at that desk pointed me to the office area where I would find the principal. I stepped into the waiting area, was offered a seat I declined, and less then a minute later the head of the school invited me into the office. The first thing I noticed was my child was holding an ice pack to her face. The look Principle Mullins got from me shrunk him into his chair.

"What happened to my daughter," I said through clenched teeth.
"Please," He tried to smile. "Have a seat."
"I'll stand. What happened to my child."
"She was struck when she attacked another student..."
"Attacked?" I was shocked. "I've taught her better all her life. Explain this attack."
"Well, there were four girls from the 8th grade on the playground, and they were teasing a younger girl."
"Yeah, and?"
"Your daughter took it upon herself to intercede, struck two or three girls, and was struck herself."
"That's how you see it, huh."
"I can't see it any other way, Mr. Stamps. She's suspended for a day."

I decided I did want a seat, brushed the paperwork off the corner of the principle's desk, and turned to face my girl. Jasmine was a photo image of her late mother, but was more musclular. She was dark skinned with pale eyes, and one day she would be a very beautiful woman. Also, her looks will be the least of the worries for men she dates, because she loved to work out with me, and we'd continue to develop those muscles.

"Mr. Stam..." I held up my hand.
"I'm going to talk to my daughter now."
"Jazz? Why did you hit someone?"
"Dad. Really. Four of those bi... girls, a grade above us, were after a new girl in my class."
"Did you hit someone first?" I asked.
"No, sir. One of them shoved her... I don't know her name. Then I got in between and one hit me."
"Good enough."

I stared at the principal for a minute. I queried him on policy, then chastised him for not having anyone of authority on the grounds to handle the problem. We all have budget cuts, but if you can't keep a lid on it, you should respect students who stand up to bullies. But no, she was going home. I turned to my precious girl.

"Were you protecting someone?"
"Yes, sir."
"How did you fare?" I asked.
"Bloodied two, the third sucker punched me in the ribs, but I got a good hard kick on the fourth."
"They run away?"
"Yes, sir."
"Well, since it seems you've earned a vacation, let's go by Game Stop so you have something new to play..."

They never asked me to join the PTA. It wasn't a worry. The best part of it was that we had some together time. I hadn't always been there, but now I could. I hoped I could make a go of it. I explained that the kind of people she fought were friends only in passing, and once they all left the town, it was over. The look I received could only be delivered by a young lady starting junior high. I told her they don't help her style, because she has one all her own, and even though this was a small thing, it could have a big impact.

When we got home, and she didn't seem to be too happy. Even though it had been the right thing to do, it would come at a cost. She went to her room and I made a couple sandwiches, and took one up to her. I knock and heard her sigh.

"So what's the problem?" I asked.
"Those girls?" She replied. "They're the popular group. My life is going to be hell."
"Listen, what you did might not be the greatest thing of all time, but for that girl being bullied, it was huge."
"But the consequences are on me!"
"Then don't play their game. If you do, it gives them power and takes away your pride."
"Okay! I get it!" I knew she wanted out of the conversation, but I wasn't quite done.
"So, don't fool yourself into thinking you need to be something they want you to be..." I said. "You just work hard on your grades."
"Dad."
"Stop! You are not trying your best, and you know it. You are way too intelligent to not go to college."
"I just started junior high! How can anyone know that? What if I want to be like you?"
"Oh, get a hold of yourself. The old me doesn't exist anymore." I snorted. "That kind of life I wouldn't wish on anyone."
"Dad?"
"Yeah?"
"Will I have time to make real friends here?" She looked at me.
"I think so." I cleared my throat, "But I'm always your friend, and no one loves you more than me."

(WC:890)

Fool Yourself

Look out child your bound to change,
You can't ever stay the same
Cause if you keep on singin' the same old lines
You're going to look around babe and find your friend's out of town

Watch out girl the words your sayin' don't really fit the play
Somebody else you might talk to now
Knows what you sayin' what you mean
They don't help your style

You might say you ain't got a hold on yourself
You might say you always try your best
You might say you only need a rest
You might say you can only fool yourself
I said fool yourself
I said fool yourself

Don't believe the words you read
They're written on the street
And every time you know you play their game
They'll knock you down and take your pride away

See how bad you need to cry
But no matter how you try
It's the same old story once again
You always have number one who calls you friend
I call you friend

You might say you ain't got a hold on yourself
You might say you always try your best
You might say you only need a rest
You might say you can only fool yourself
I said fool yourself
I said fool yourself
I said fool yourself


Songwriter: Fred Tackett





© Copyright 2019 Mastiff (mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2191183-Fool-Yourself