*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193905-Pieces-of-Truth
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #2193905
Childhood lovers reunite ten years after witnessing the murder of two friends.
A work in progress. This is just the first part.

Synopsis: Alice and her childhood crush Brian drift apart years after witnessing the brutal murder of two friends. Ten years later, they unexpectedly reunite in college only to have their new romance interrupted when they begin receiving messages from two people claiming to be their murdered friends.

“Pieces Of Truth”

As Brian Barnes entered his school’s dining hall and sat at a table to enjoy his meal, his cell phone buzzed. Expressing confusion, Brian quickly finishes his meal and enters the concert hall across the way from the dining hall.

Lightly filling another plate with food (given that Brian has an eating disorder because he wants to lose weight); Brian sat at a table in the center of the concert hall. Because the concert hall is not a typical concert hall for college people given in part that the size is smaller than the main campus concert hall, Brian finished eating and put his plate to the side.

As he waited for the event to begin, he removed class supplies from his backpack and began working on an assignment.

As he worked, Brian narrated through a voice-over, “Being told off for not listening to people has been a good thing and a bad thing for me even though no one does this for me as much as they used to. However, it’s even better that people I’ve known thanks to the student group I have been a member of have helped me keep a cool head. My name is Brian Barnes and I am a college student.”

After he finished working, Brian left the concert hall and continued his narration. “As much as I’d like to tell you more about myself, I will save my story for later. Now if you excuse me, I need to get to the meeting but however, I’ll close this thought by saying that students who prefer studying over interacting with peers are people who don’t understand that popularity has to be ‘a thing’ during college. If you have kids who are ready to enter college, tell them that popularity is not ‘a thing’ and that there will be many opportunities to fit in. Also, if you have boys you should remind them that charming pretty girls isn’t everything and that dicks should be kept in their pants given the current political atmosphere. If you have girls, you should tell them to carry sharp objects to use as self-defense whenever a sexual predator comes as her.”

A modestly-sized group of students saw Brian as he entered the meeting room.
“Hey everyone.” he said. “Sorry I’m late again.”
A male member said back at him, “It’s okay Brian. We don’t care if you’re late or not. The pressure of studying will always be a bitch.”
As he writes the number of people on a post-it note and takes count, he noticed some new people present.
“Okay people, I see we have some new members here today.” he said.
He gestured at the new members. “Please introduce yourselves.”
One-by-one, the new members introduced themselves and after each, Brian says “Thank You.”
Brian then stood in front of a dry-erase board and wrote the agenda for the meeting.
“As you can see people”, he said, “on the agenda for today is that now we have new unexpected members, we shall now allow them to express ideas for our event that will be held in six weeks which will be a part of the annual Sex Week here on campus. If you are a new member, would any of you like to express your ideas?”
A bespectacled female student with dirty blonde hair and dressed in a modest manner raised her hand.
“Please.” said Brian.
The female student stood up and said, “Hi everyone. This is my first time attending a meeting for this group, but I’m glad I found this group that like your fellow student who runs this group, I have often felt rejected not welcomed because of many experiences that I still think of even now.”

Later at a nearby bar after Brian’s class finished for the day, he noticed the bespectacled blonde sitting across from him at the bar even though Brian was not drinking alcohol. He gave a second order to the bartender and sat with the blonde closer to her.
She said to him, “I’ve known you for years and it’s great that we saw each other at the meeting earlier today given that it’s been years since we went our separate ways.”
Brian said back to her, “Are you following me around campus? I don’t want to come off as rude to you, but I only talk to students who I know regardless if they are in the club or not.”
“You don’t seem to remember me Brian.” said Alice. “I’m Alice, Alice Clark. We attended the same grade school together when we were kids.”
With a sense of irritation growing within him, Brian said back at Alice, “I once knew a girl named Alice and you are not her.”
Alice leaned forward, touched Brian’s hand, and said, “And what makes you think that, Brian?”
Brian tried to get Alice to let go of his hand but instead said, “If you’re really Alice, then why do you want to talk to me after all these years?”
Alice then opened her own backpack and removed a Smart-Phone from a smaller pocket. She showed Brian pictures of themselves from when they were kids.
Alice said, “I was hoping you would remember me and at some point we would reconnect.”
Brian said back, “I’m sorry but old pictures are just old pictures. That was then and this is now.”
Alice then gave Brian a flyer for a student event. Brian looked at it.”
He said, “A dance, huh? When and where on campus do you want me to meet you at before the event begins?”
Alice then gave Brian a notecard. Brian took the notecard and put in in his own backpack.

Later at his on-campus apartment, Brian put his belongings next to the couch, opened a sugar free energy drink, and turned on his desktop computer.
He then logged onto his Facebook page and searched for Alice.
She was present on Facebook and in turn, Brian sent her a private message. He thought to himself as he wrote to her, “Why do you want to reconnect now? I don’t get it.”
She quickly wrote back to him, “Brian, I’ve gone through a lot of hell during the ten years we have been apart. Before we finished grade school, I had a feeling I would never see you again. But when I began seeing you around campus, I knew that at some point we would reconnect.”
Just as quickly back, Brian wrote, “Is there anything you want me to wear to the student ball? Even though it’s been years since we last saw each other, I still don’t like crowds.”
She wrote back, “No Brian. Dress for the student ball is casual.”
Both then logged off their respective Facebook pages and turned to focusing on class assignments.
As Brian maintained his focus on his studies, he briefly stopped to look out the window of his apartment. He left his table and took a pair of earbuds with his I-Pod. He resumed studying as he began listening to music.

About one week later at the student ball, Brian wore dress clothing despite Alice telling him otherwise. He then noticed a text message from her through his cell phone.
By text Alice wrote, “Brian, where the hell are you?”
Brian texted back, “I am waiting for you.”
He looked up and saw Alice approaching him. Dressed in all blue to match her athletic frame, Alice and Brian embrace each other.
Brian said, “You look beautiful.”
Alice said back, “You’re looking handsome yourself.”
“At least you’re not wearing any makeup.” Brian said back.
Alice laughed and said, “Where’s the food table? I’m starving my ass off!”
Brian shouted, “So am I!”
Then they proceeded to the food table and filled their plates with food. She and Brian briefly left their plates at a table. They then quickly returned with cups; Alice with iced tea in hers, Brian with lemonade.
Alice said, “Brian, I’m glad you’re not freaking out, but may I ask you something?”
Brian nodded.
“What’s your major?”
After finishing eating and wiping his mouth with a napkin, Brian said, “I’m an English major pursuing a career in journalism. What about you?”
“I thought of becoming a psychology major, but after meeting with a few advisers, I was told not to take any risks, so instead I’m pursuing a career as a language interpreter.”
© Copyright 2019 Eric Brown (eric601 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193905-Pieces-of-Truth