*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194635-Father-Duffy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · History · #2194635
For no dialogue competition.
Yana Feinbaum was exhausted from the five kilometre walk into the centre of Munich. The temperature was twenty eight degrees. She wore a heavy two piece tweed suit. The jacket had to remain on as it had the yellow Star of David stitched on.
She could make out the huge steeple of St Peters Church. She takes some tissue from inside her suit jacket and wipes beads of sweat from her brow. A few months ago she would have made this journey in a private chauffeur driven Mercedes. Now her car was confiscated along with her home, tailoring and garment trading business.
Her lips felt bone dry. All businesses denied her and her people any service or entry and so she had to persevere. She fanned her face to try and cool herself down. Two young males in uniform with swastika arm bands walk past and one spits at her on the face. She wipes her face, holding back the tears to maintain her dignity and not give them the pleasure of making her cry.
She walks up towards the church. People look away as she passes, diverting their eyes to ignore the shame they felt deep down.
She passes one of her former shop locations. Still a fashion store but now with a different name, a name of a former employee whom extorted it from her with the help of fascist yobs. She wondered was this individual now living in her home. It didn’t matter she would probably never get it back again.
She continues walking. The atmosphere outside the main Brew House was electric. She was envious of the people having drinks and was tempted to ask for some but it was also swarming with nazi officers and such a request would lead to her execution. Then she hears it. Her Mercedes pulls up and her former driver gets out and opens the rear door.
He begins to assist well dressed ladies getting out. They were laughing and having a good time. All were former wealthy customers. She would roll out the red carpet for them and now without any shame they travelled the city in her car that was extracted from her. Her gaze catches the attention of the fourth and final lady. She suspected the car was hers now. Her husband was now a high ranking officer. The lady quickly looks away and continues laughing with her friends.
The sign outside the church read 3pm confessions Father John Duffy. She lets out a sigh of relief. Rumours had it; Father Duffy an Irish priest, helped some Jewish families out of the country. How she hoped he would help her, a Jewish businesswoman. She would offer her last remaining deutschmarks and promise more once she had her empire rebuilt or returned. She hoped the rumours were true. It was her last chance. She should have left earlier. She thought given her high net worth customers and connections it would be enough to save her, however they betrayed her and extorted everything from her. All she had left from her empire was 2 suits and a heavy winter jacket.
She looks around and checks no one is looking and enters the church. She hides behind a pillar and removes her jacket, folding it up neatly with the Star of David hidden in the inside. She opens the main entrance doors quietly and as discreetly as possible enters. She could not draw attention to herself. She gazes around at the Religious paraphernalia in the church. It was all alien to her, yet she herself was now considered an alien in her own country.
She spots the confessional box. It was where her contact told her it would be. That piece of information cost her five thousand deutschmarks. She was now down to her last 10000. The rest stolen or blackmailed from her. She hoped Father Duffy would not take it. She prided herself on being a good businesswoman and would definitely give money; if not.
She gingerly joins the confessional queue, trying not to attract attention to herself. She mimics the kneel and joined hands in prayer of the elderly lady beside her.
© Copyright 2019 amateur40 (amateur40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194635-Father-Duffy