*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196043-untitled-for-now
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2196043
the second chapter
Much to the dismay of Griffon, a large crowd had arrived to see him. They were all dressed in finery and beautiful gowns. Several had exotic pets, mainly birds with bright colors. Lord and Lady Sharpton stood beside a man with a mutton chops beard, purple eyes, and a crown of golden leaves.

A man tapped his staff twice, "Introducing the accused Griffith Sharpton", he shouted in a loud and clear tone.

Griffon was walked up to Eisenfaust, and a guard kicked him on the back of his knees forcing him to bow. Eisenfaust looked impressed as Griffon stared directly in the eyes. The brown met the deep purple, and the emperor rose.

Eisenfaust walked toward Griffon and shook his head, "Is this a joke, Sharpton? This is not your son, is he? Before you answer, might I remind you the imperial army is outside the gates of this city", his tone was not displeased, but curious, if anything.

Lord Sharpton's voice trembled as he spoke, "Well your excellency, my son was killed while tax collecting. Then we received word of your arrival..."

Griffon was annoyed this was far too complicated, "Just leave them alone and punish me for what the other me did. I don't have all day you know", he stared down Eisenfaust.

Eisenfaust laughed, "Sharpton, this boy has more bravery than your whole family combined", he said in a demeaning voice, He turned his attention to Griffon, "Tell me what do you think your fate should be?", he asked Griffon, in an interested tone.

The whole court went silent. Griffon could feel their eyes on him, he guessed this was the equivalent of a soap opera for them. Lord Sharpton had a strained look on his face. Lady Sharpton looked as if she was losing a son all over again.

"What is the hardest task you have given anyone?". The question hung in the air among the gasps and shocked expression of the nobility.

Eisenfaust paced in front of him, "Oh where to begin?", he was trembling with glee. He paced for a few moments before a wicked grin played across his lips and his purple eyes lit up with excitement, "I want you to find evidence of civilization in the Ring of Arcadia."

Lord Sharpton stood in defiance, "You send him on a fool's errand. None have returned from the accursed place. He is just taking his first steps into manhood.", it was a pointless outburst.

Griffon was quite tired of everything being decided for him. His parents decided everything, then the government made decisions for him, and now Lord Sharpton was trying to do the same. He managed to break free of the guards and rushed the aging ruler. His fist whistled through the air knocking the lord to the ground.

"My life, my choice, now stay out of it.", once again the eyes of the nobility were on him, this time a chorus of murmuring could be heard.

Eisenfaust clapped like a child, "It seems this imposter is more of a man than you are Sharpton.", He paused as Griffon took his place between the guards once more, "What are your terms?"

Griffon decided to raise the stakes, "If I manage to accomplish your task, I want to become the ruler of the sovereign nation of Milesia, with a ten-year peace accord with the Estonian empire.", He hoped Eisenfaust was arrogant enough to take the deal.

Eisenfaust pondered Griffon's words, "Do you really think you can pull off such an audacious journey?". His purple eyes watched Griffon closely.

Lord Sharpton was seething mad now, "What right does he have to gamble away this kingdom?", he now stood tall for all the other noblemen to see.

Eisenfaust was about to speak when a black-haired maiden stepped forward, "Perhaps to make things more sporting we should send two other people with him. He knows nothing of this world or its ways, and it will not significantly increase his chances of survival either", she clasped her hands in front of her.

Unfortunately for Sharpton, the other nobles were hungry to have any shot at freedom, and a murmur of assent spread through the room like wildfire. A rather portly gentleman stepped forward, "It would appear the council has decided, and we agree with Lady Charmant."

Eisenfaust laughed cruelly, "Very well this is almost as good as gambling with fixed dice", He turned his attention back to Griffon, "Is there anything else?".

Griffon thought for a moment, "I need someone with magical knowledge to come. I may or may not have magic, it would be nice to have the option to prolong my survival."

Eisenfaust tapped his chin thoughtfully, "Then I shall send Wentworth and Lady Charmant. After all, Wentworth knew about Griffiths activities and said nothing. Lady Charmant made the suggestion for additional help."

Not a single person argued or said a word, there was some sobbing coming from the direction of Lady Charmant, and many hateful stares from the crowd directed at him.

Lady Charmant stepped forward and with all the grace and dignity of a true lady said, "I humbly accept your excellency."

Wentworth looked profoundly unhappy, "Sire I am a man of a certain age. I was planning on retiring.", he complained

Eisenfaust's eyes flash with anger, "Then perhaps you should have been more forthcoming with what you knew.", he said in a snotty tone. He looked at Griffon, "You can thank your servant friend here for the one day of preparation you have. I was planning on giving you a week, but his little complaint ruined it all for you.", he said as if it was all Wentworths fault.

Eisenfaust ended the inquiry after that and invited the chosen three to dine with them. It was like he was someone else for a while. He was pleasant and easy to talk to. He was interested in Griffon most and inquired about the reality from which he came.

When the mad ruler grew tired of his company he talked with the other nobles. Wentworth refused to say anything to him, leaving Lady Charmant to converse with.

Lady Charmant was not the most beautiful woman he had conversed with. However, her soulful brown eyes and wavy black hair interested him for one reason or another. He was the reason she was in this mess, yet they would be spending a lot of time together. He summoned his courage and spoke

"I am sorry you got caught in all this. I never meant for things to go the way they did", it was true, but Griffon had allowed Eisenfaust to get under his skin.

"Do not apologize for trying to give us a little ray of hope. Chances are Eisenfaust planned to destroy the town anyway. Why else bring an army?" Lady Charmant drank deep from a goblet, "Care for some wine?"

Griffon stared at the decanter. He could already taste the bittersweet liquid on his lips. His mind had forgotten all else, but the decanter. He almost reached for it before, "No, I have a problem with drinking. We only have a day to prepare, I do not think now is the best time to test my resolve."

Lady Charmant seemed pleased, "I applaud your restraint. Are you against me coming with you? I know most men would be displeased to be burdened with a woman on a long journey.", she paused, "My first name is Genivive by the way."

Griffon playfully shook her hand, "Griffon Sharpe, and you are not a burden. I am glad I do not have to go to my untimely demise alone", he said with a wry smile.

Genivive adjusted her necklace, "How did you know Krieger would go for your idea?". Her eyes watched him closely and Griffon felt a little exposed.

"Men like him are always looking for good publicity and ways to relieve boredom.", Griffon looked at the time, "I should get some sleep, we have one day to prepare and I want to make the most of it." "I should get some sleep, we have one day to prepare and I want to make the most of it.", Griffon rose from the table and Genivive touched his hand.

"Thank you.", she said seriously

"For what?"

Genivive giggled girlishly, "For being a true gentleman and respecting my personal space. You would be surprised at how many young noblemen think my dream is to be naked and barefoot in the kitchen."

Griffon just walked away without saying another word. He entered a long hall with ornate woven tapestries and paintings. Each one told a story about a specific battle or a previous ruler. Nothing seemed to be of real significance.

What did catch his attention was the open door letting a shaft of light in a darker part of the corridor. He carefully approached it and heard voices.

"I cannot believe you brought him here.", one voice said.

Sharpton's voice spoke angrily, "You got sloppy and forced my hand. Thankfully the idiot volunteered for a suicide mission", he did not sound entirely convinced.

"Should I call the Blind Daggers in? You never know Griffon might get lucky."

"Yes, but it has to look like an accident. You know how our revered emperor is when someone messes with the games he plays. Make sure they are on all the main routes to the accursed ring."

Griffon was not surprised by Sharpton's course of action, he was a man desperate to hang onto his station. He was not sure who or what the Blind Daggers were, but they sure sounded like assassins. He silently walked back to the feast.

He tapped the aging Wentworth on the shoulder and pulled him aside.

"Honestly now you interrupt my fun? Was it not enough to ruin my life?", he demanded.

"Who are the Blind Daggers?", Griffon demanded.

Wentworth went pale, "Where did you hear that name?", he asked in a low voice while looking around.

Griffon was annoyed, "What if I told you they are being placed them along all the main routes to the Arcadian ring." he said in a harsh tone.

Wentworth looked sick, "Then we have very few options for travel indeed. They are assassins loyal to the Milesian throne."

"How long before they notified?"

"We have a couple hours at most, why?"

"Get ready, we leave tonight"

Wentworth looked at the food and then back to Griffon, "I hate you. I wanted to like you, but you just had to challenge that megalomaniac. Meet me at the castle gates in an hour." he said grumbling as he walked away.

Genivive was still talking with several young noblemen, "Gentlemen, shall I grab a quill and draw a face on my cleavage? My face is up here"

Griffon tapped her on the shoulder, "Genivive we are leaving tonight. Sharpton is sending the Blind Daggers to meet us on all major routes."

Genivive smiled at the noblemen, "Sorry I must take my leave. Do not bother calling on me again", she said with a wave. She waited until they were out of earshot, "What is the source of your information?"

"Sharpton himself. He was talking about it as I was heading to bed."

Genivive did not seem surprised, "Check in with Krieger before we leave."

"I was about to. Wentworth has already been notified he is going to meet us at the gates in an hour"

Genivive nodded, "I will see you there. See if our esteemed emperor will put up some money to help us since we have decided to leave early.", she said hurrying out of the room.

Eisenfaust looked bored as Griffon approached. He bowed, "Greetings Eisenfaust, there has been a slight change of plans. We have decided to leave tonight."

The purple eyes lit up, "Well aren't you a go-getter, I suppose you will need some money for supplies and such?"

"It wouldn't hurt and are there any lesser-known routes to the Ring of Arcadia? I fear I may have made some enemies tonight, and I would like to make it a fair distance before they try to off me", Griffon held back the other half of the story.

Eisenfaust looked excited, "You are far smarter than Sharpton's boy. Griffith did not have the spark you have, its how I knew you were not him. If you ever make it back, you and I will have a long talk about your future", he handed Griffon a large bag of coins. "As for a lesser-known route, you may want to try the Valley of despair, some call it the valley of headless men."

Griffon thanked Eisenfaust and headed to the secret room only to find the armor was gone. He was not surprised, nothing else had gone right so far, why should it start now.

He met his two traveling companions by the gate, They opened and the trio headed off into the night.
© Copyright 2019 IanVentrue (ianventrue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196043-untitled-for-now