*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2201139-Another-Day
by Diane
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2201139
Sensory issues make shopping a challenge, but help is right around the corner.
ā€œIā€™m not wearing that!ā€

Jasmine sighed and picked up the blouse. Brittany would undress without complaint, but when new clothes touched her she'd bolt. At least the shop owner understood and could help her coax Brittany back into the dressing room. Jasmine was no longer able to corral her alone. Despite the challenges of sensory issues she did enjoy taking her shopping.

She saw her daughter sitting on the floor with a doll. The store owner, Christina, was sitting next to her. Living in a small town had advantages. Everybody knew your business, but she didn't need to explain why her daughter was half dressed on the floor.

"Thanks Christina. Brittany, you have to try this on," Jasmine said.

"I'm not wearing that." Brittany whispered.

Christina looked at Jasmine with sympathy. "You want to go to school with your friends, right?"

"Yes," Brittany pouted.

"Then you have to wear it."

"Excuse me," a customer said. "I may have a solution for you."

Jasmine looked at the woman. She didn't know her, which was unusual in this town.

"Yes?"

"I sew fabric into my son's clothes to line them with something he doesn't mind. In his case he likes fleece, but it could be any fabric."

Jasmine smiled, "That's a great idea. Until now I've been able to put her in clothes that worked for her, but she needs to wear the uniform for kindergarten. The only problem is that I can't sew to save my life."

Christina piped up, "You could hire a tailor."

Jasmine laughed, "A tailor, in this town?!"

The woman smiled, "There is now. I'm Shelly. I don't have a shop yet, but I hope to open one soon."

Jasmine grinned, "Well Shelly, welcome to town and let me introduce you to your first customer."
© Copyright 2019 Diane (sgambill72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2201139-Another-Day