*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2201935-Project-Survivor
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2201935
The group of survivors continue their journey through the night. (Part Two)
Days since Containment Failure: 2


Moonlight guides their way, the group moving in silence due to their fear. Around midnight, only Isa and Hana are still vigilant. They pass a broken sign that reads CONSTITUTION AVENUE and Isa pauses and holds up her hand for the group to stop. She listens and a pack of creatures appear out of nowhere, stumbling over each other while they try and reach their prey.
“Get to the woods!” Isa yells and the group takes off into the trees, some of the creatures running to the stump and slowing the pack. Hana and Isa take up the rear, cutting down any creatures that get to close while Shawn lags behind near them, jogging along almost casually. Nicholas, in the front, trips over a metal handle. He pulls up on it and reveals an old bunker.
“Down here!” Nicholas yells and holds up a bunker hatch. Andy jumps into the bunker first, helping Rosie in. Josh follows and then enters Jo-Jo. Isa and Hana race to the bunker, Hana sheathing her sword and Isa slowing down to help urge Shawn along. Nicholas enters the bunker after Hana, Isa and Shawn the only ones still out. The creatures get closer and Shawn’s foot gets trapped under a root, his body hitting the ground roughly. Isa stops and lifts her ax, cutting the root and narrowly missing his foot. She helps him up and they race to the bunker, the creatures on their heels. She lifts the hatch just as a creature grabs Shawn, pulling him away from the hatch. She jumps into the bunker and shuts the door, perched on the ladder. Shawn’s screams pierce the poorly designed hatch as the creatures tear him apart.
“NO!” Opal cries out and tries to run to the hatch that Isa’s holding shut. Nicholas grabs Opal and holds her as she cries, “We have to help him!”
“He’s gone, Opal.” Nicholas states and she rips away from him, snarling at Isa, “He said we need you and you just left him for dead! He thought you could save us and you let him die!”
Isa doesn’t reply and Nicholas leads Opal to the back of the bunker to calm down. The group falls silent as Shawn’s screams echo off the walls.
❖ ❖ ❖
After hours of solemn torture, Isa opens the hatch and looks out, rank air entering the bunker, and breaking the silence, “It’s clear.”
She climbs out first, followed by Hana and Jo-Jo, the African American woman whispering, “Sweet Mama.” Andy is the next to leave and he makes a cross on his body,
Riposare in pace.” Josh leaves before Rosie, the woman gasping and hiding her face in Josh’s chest. Opal is the next to bust out of the bunker, her features showing horror as she looks at the blood covering the surrounding trees and ground. She gasps and jumps when she sees the only solid remain of Shawn, his eye, which is staring at her.
“We need to keep moving.” Isa states when Nicholas emerges from the bunker.
“Really? He was torn apart hours ago. The least we can do is have a moment to respect him.” Opal declares and Isa sighs, “The best way you can honor him is by staying alive, which is why we need to keep moving.”
“That’s what you said last night and look how that ended!” Opal exclaims and gestures to the area.
“Opal, please. Let’s go.” Rosie pleads and the blonde huffs before nodding. Isa takes the group out of the woods and back to the road.
“What’s a fish without eyes?” Rosie asks and the words release some of the sorrow filled tension.
“Shawn.” Andy replies and everyone looks at him in shock and disgust.
“What is wrong with you?” Josh asks and Jo-Jo inhales deeply through her nose and slips her headphones over her ears.
“What? I was making a joke.” Andy justifies and Isa storms over to him and pushes on his chest, Andy stumbling back a few feet.
“You’re a sick son of a bitch, you know what?” Andy stares at her in shock and she continues walking, her cheeks flushed dark red with anger. The group continues in silence for the next few hours.
“We’ll stop here.” Isa announces about an hour before sunset, opening the screen door of a clearly abandoned house. Jo-Jo and Hana climb the stairs tiredly, Josh carrying a sleeping Rosie to one of the bedrooms on the bottom floor, Opal and Nicholas collapse on the couch in the living room, and Andy rests in one of the recliners, his feet propped up on the footrest. Isa glances over everyone to make sure they’re settled before walking out the door.
© Copyright 2019 Victoria Jay (writingfun02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2201935-Project-Survivor