*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2205531-A-Thanksgiving-Mishap
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2205531
Conversation heard on a turkey farm on Thanksgiving Day
"He didn't have a clue, did he?"

"No, he never saw it coming."

"That farmer just came right out of the barn with the axe, and...."

"Oh, stop it Bob! The horror!"

"There, there Suzy. I'm sorry."

"This shall be the day that shall be forever known as the 'Day That Shall Not Be Spoken Of". Ever again."

"I know right?. I'm still traumatized."

"I'm never going to be able to roost again."

"You? What about me? I roosted right next to him. Now tonight there will be nothing but an empty spot."

"Why did the farmer pick ol' Frank anyways? He was too fat. He couldn't run as fast as the rest of us."

"Yup, and that's why he got what he got...too slow."

"Awwwww, the horror!"

"Would you stop it, Bob?"

"I can't help it. I'm still seeing Frank get snatched up and...WHOP!"

"NOOOOOO!"

"Would yall mind shutting up over there? I'm trying to take my afternoon siesta."

"Who was that?'

"Oh, nobody, just the dog."

"Buddy? What's he doing around here? He guards us, but he usually stays on the back porch."

"I had to come down here to get away from those man-cubs that always show up this time of year. They want to pull my ears and everything else. SO humiliating."

"Why do they do that?"

"I don't know, but the five years I have lived here, ever since I was a wee pup, it's been the same thing. The leaves start turning, the air get cooler, and one of you birds lose your life. Then, all these people start showing up, and a big feast is held, and then everyone, except for those pesky man-cubs, are content to sit around in their cave and watch that big flat thing that has moving pictures on it."

"They throw a feast because of the weather? Or they throw a feast because the farmer kills one of us?"

"I'm not sure, but one thing I do know. I'm glad I'm not you."

"There he is!"

"There's the pup-pup. Let's get him!"

"Oh crap, them pesky man-cubs again. Look fellas, I'm outta here. Sorry about your friend."


360 words














© Copyright 2019 BradJShaw ⚓ (bradjshaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2205531-A-Thanksgiving-Mishap