*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2207817-What-You-Dont-Know-CHAPTERS-1-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #2207817
Yes, I am ElsAnna trash. This is a darker fiction though.
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Now before anyone starts flaming me, I'd like to be clear that I do not ship incest. I have read a handful of fanfics and find it intriguing how someone can find a way to twist a character, while maintaining some parallels to the original. Example: Olaf is a snowman who loves summer, but in another fic he was a poor little kid who loved summer, but he had lupus, so he literally wasn't allowed to go in the sun. I just figured I'd like to try my hand at it as well. The following fiction contains themes that may not be suitable for younger audiences. Such themes include: death, bullying, depression, self harm, and some other psychologically twisted material. This also does not contain incest (though canonically Elsa and Anna are sisters, that is not the case in this alternative universe).


____________________________________________________

Chapter One: Wake Up Call

Elsa groaned loudly as a loud knock disrupted her slumber. With a single eye barely open, she glanced at the door and saw a large, bulky figure entering the confines of the sanctuary that was her room. One glimpse of the dirty blonde hair topping the head of the intruder was enough for her to identify the intruder: her older cousin, Kristoff. He had his usual grin on his face while he puffed his chest outwards in order to emphasize his muscular figure. Unwilling to move or acknowledge her intruder’s presence, Elsa rolled over and pulled the sheets over her head. It’s too early for this.

Kristoff merely sighed in response to his cousin’s attempt to resume hibernating and began his slow approach towards the girl. “C’mon, Els, must we go through this routine every time?”A muffled grunt came from the enormous mass of sheets and pillows that Elsa hid in. There was no way Kristoff was going to convince her to get out of bed; not with words, at least. Kristoff paused and awaited any signs of life from her. It was only a few more moments, however, that he knew that any further waiting would be in vain. He sat on the edge of her bed and cleared his throat, “Elsa, if you don’t get up, I’m warning you…” No response. Kristoff shrugged, “Suit yourself,” and with that, he took a deep breath and cupped his hands to his mouth as if to amplify his volume, “Olaf! Code blue! Code blue! Release the reindeer!!!”Seconds later, a large husky wearing fake antlers burst into the room, followed by a small, skinny, ten year old red head boy scampering behind him.

“ATTACK!” the boy shouted as he and the large dog hopped onto the bed and body slammed Elsa.

“Olaf,” Elsa groaned, “off.”

Olaf repositioned himself on top of her and started bouncing like an excited child would do to their parents on a Christmas morning, “Elsa! Wake up, wake up, WAKE UUUUUP!” Elsa still remained unmoved… or at least… as ‘unmoved’ one could be with a ten year old bouncing on them. “Elsaaaaaaa! You haven’t given me my warm hug yet today!” Olaf said loudly, trying everything in his power to prevent his older sister from returning to sleep.

“Don’t get your hopes up, Olaf,” Kristoff chuckled, “The Ice Queen’s skin can’t retain any heat for over 5 seconds. She’d probably end up freezing you instead.”

“Ha. ‘Ice Queen,’ huh? How amusing,” Elsa grumbled, clearly not amused at all as she rubbed her eyes “You come up with that one yourself?” As her drowsiness slowly but steadily lifted, Elsa turned her attention to Olaf, who was still mounted on her abdomen as if she was a horse. He wasn’t bouncing anymore, but he was grinning his happy-go-lucky grin. “And as for you,” she said as a half smirk slowly crept onto her face.

“U-uh oh,” Olaf stuttered, eyes wide with panic.

Before the child was able to even attempt making anything that could even resemble an evasive maneuver, bed sheets were tossed up and pillows fell to the floor. Olaf found himself caught in what could sort of [not really] qualify as a hug. Elsa had him in a headlock and one of her legs snaked around his abdomen, making it difficult—or in his case, impossible—to escape. Olaf flailed his right arm around, trying to signal Kristoff or Sven to come to his aid.

“Nooo!” Olaf screamed, half laughing, “Release me! Let me go!!!!”

“Tsk, tsk,” Elsa said in her best attempt to sound sinister, “How dare you side with Kristoff and rebel against me—your Queen! I am your master! Your ruler! Yet you dared to take sides with the enemy? You should have known better, little brother. You shall now face the consequences!”

“I’m sorry! Please forgive me!” Olaf pleaded, only for his cries for forgiveness got drowned in laughter as Elsa dug her fingers into his sides and tickled her prisoner until he was almost incapable of forming any type of sounds that’d even sound close to the English language. “Noooo ahahaha staaaaaaahhhp haha NO MORE!!!!!”

With that, Elsa seized her attacks and Olaf gasped for air. Elsa smiled warmly at the bundle of joy that was the 10 year old. She’d always doted on her little brother. In the past, their parents would work rotating schedules, so often times, Elsa would be left home alone to take care of Olaf. Because of this, it gave them plenty of time to grow close, despite the fact that they had an 11 year age gap. People—especially Elsa’s friends [when she had friends] often found it odd for a 10 year old boy to get along well with his 21 year old sister. In the beginning, they didn’t get along, but once Olaf turned 5, the two of them realized that if they were going to be stuck with each other, they might as well be more pleasant to one another seeing as their circumstances weren’t going to change anytime soon… or so they thought. Elsa’s connection to Olaf, however, had only deepened this past year due to their mother’s death and their father’s disappearance.

Elsa tried her best to shake the thoughts from her mind. She didn’t want to remember their family trip, nor did she want to remember dosing off in the car and waking up in a hospital. The memories were hazy, but the enormous waves of emotions that hit her were so unbearable she found it best to push the thoughts aside and do whatever she could to ‘not feel.’ She remembered Olaf asking why everyone at their mother’s funeral was crying as he was either unable to understand that their mother was gone forever, or he refused to believe it just as much as Elsa did. Ever since then, the two siblings clung to each other as if they were all they had left of their parents. Of course, their Uncle Pabbie was nice enough to allow Elsa and Olaf stay with Kristoff while he worked abroad. Kristoff didn’t mind it either, since grew up as an only child and enjoyed the extra company. In Elsa’s teen years, Kristoff’s house practically served as her second home anyway.

“Uh, your highness?”

Elsa’s attention snapped back to Olaf, who was still held captive in her arms and leg.

“You’re crushing me…” Olaf mumbled as he tried to wriggle his way out of her grasp. Elsa released her hostage and Olaf immediately rolled off the bed, cheering, “Freedom!” He scurried over to hide behind the foot of the bed, near Kristoff.

“’Freedom,’ huh?” Elsa mumbled. She tried to think of a clever remark, but her train of thought was once again lost when a wet nose poked at her cheek. “Ack! Sven!” The husky licked her face and she grimaced at the drool that covered her cheek. As she wiped it away with her sleeve, she caught a glimpse of Olaf giggling at her. Elsa narrowed her eyes at her brother, “Traitor.” Olaf merely stuck his tongue out at her in response.

Sven nudged Elsa again and again, trying to urge her out of bed like Kristoff and Olaf had been doing for the past fifteen minutes. She looked down at the husky who was laying his head in her lap, whimpering as if he was pleading for her to get up an about. The fake reindeer antlers made the image that much more heart breakingly cute that Elsa couldn’t look at him without feeling her heart clench a bit.

Kristoff chuckled at the sight of his needy dog, “Looks like Sven wants a warm hug too, Ice Queen.”

Elsa glanced back down at Sven’s puppy dog face-- though his size made it obvious that he was, in fact, very far from what could be considered a “puppy.” Elsa sighed and ran a hand through her tangled blonde hair, “Okay, okay, I’m up.”


Elsa was shocked by a sweater and a pair of jeans being tossed at her face. Real mature, Kristoff. Really? As Olaf and Kristoff laughed at the Ice Queen’s reaction to the attack of her wardrobe, they began heading towards the door. “Alright,” Kristoff said on his way out, “hurry up and get dressed. We’re going out.”

Olaf scampered after his older cousin, chanting, “Yeah! Out, out, out! Let’s go out!”

“And where are we going, exactly?” Too late. The two boys were already settled in the living room. “Nice…” Elsa grumbled. It wasn’t like she was really expecting a reply. She had a reason she knew the answer anyway. She raised her arm and arched her back in a stretch before commanding Sven to get down from her bed. The husky obediently did so and then left the room to join Kristoff and Olaf. Elsa slipped on a pair of gray skinny jeans and a white long sleeved shirt that had a print of the band, 5 Seconds of Summer, across the front. She glanced at her reflection and saw the disaster that was her hair. This is going to take a while…

Meanwhile, Kristoff and Olaf waited in the living room. Olaf was rolling around the carpet with Sven while Kristoff was lazily sprawled out on the couch. Ten minutes passed. Then twenty. Finally, Olaf’s impatience got the better of him, “Kristoff?”

“Hm?”

“What’s taking Elsa so long?”

Kristoff shrugged, “She’s a girl, kiddo.”

Olaf twiddled his fingers as he looked down at the Pokemon shirt that Elsa gave him last year, “But she watches Pokemon, VGHS, and plays video games and card games with me.”

“Pfft, that doesn’t change that she’s still a girl. Besides, didn’t you get a look at her hair?”

Olaf laughed as he recalled the mess of blonde hair on his sister’s head. Though he wanted to comment on it earlier, years of growing up with Elsa taught him to think twice about doing so unless he wanted another tickle attack that’d probably be ten times as brutal. Olaf puffed out his cheeks in a pout and fell back onto the carpet with a thud. “Ugh, girls are so slooooooooooooow.”

“Who’s slow?” Elsa called from the hallway as she took long strides towards them. She looked fully awake at this point and her hair was pulled back in a loose braid that fell over her left shoulder. Olaf jumped to his feet when he saw her jingling her keys. Elsa grinned at his excitement, “Ready to go?”

In that instant, Olaf bolted out the front door towards Elsa’s truck. The truck was small and in a desperate need of a new paint job as the blue paint was faded in some parts, while in others, there was hardly any paint at all. Her truck looked a bit rundown and it even had over a quarter million miles on it, but it was dependable enough. So many people had urged Elsa to get a new car, but because her Uncle Pabbie got that truck at around the time she was born, she didn’t have the heart to get rid of it. Even if she did, there was no way Kristoff would let it get scrapped; it was practically a family heirloom to the two of them. They had too many memories of their childhood days in it.

Kristoff and Elsa saw it as a time machine. They could remember all those days that Uncle Pabbie drove them to the park to play tennis or basketball. Then there was the day they got Sven and it was that same truck that was used when Olaf was born and Elsa’s mother, Calera, needed to get picked up from the hospital. Whenever Kristoff and Elsa would ride in it nowadays, they’d always get a wave of nostalgia that made the two of them feel so young, while simultaneously making them feel old.

“Guys, hurry up!” Olaf called again as Kristoff and Elsa slowly walked over towards the truck in the driveway.

Kristoff nudged Elsa with his elbow, “So you’re driving, I assume?”

Elsa unlocked the passenger side and Olaf hopped in and climbed over the seat to get in the back. “Did you really have to ask?” Elsa said, gesturing for Kristoff to get in.

Kristoff raised an eyebrow at her, “Do you even know where we’re going?”

“Ha,” Elsa smirked as she walked around to the driver’s seat, opening the door, “Why else would you sick Sven and Olaf on me while I’m enjoying my beauty rest?”

Kristoff rolled his eyes, “What are you now, Snow White?”

“Oh, how clever of you to choose that as an alternative to ‘Ice Queen,’” Elsa started the truck, shifted into reverse and began backing out of the driveway. Before shifting back into first gear, she eyed Olaf in the rear view mirror. He was breathing warm air into his hands. She sighed and fixed her eyes on the road.

Kristoff grinned at the sight of Elsa’s driving. It had been three years since he had taught her how to drive, yet he still couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride watching her now. He reclined his seat backwards, “Be sure to watch that speed limit, Els.”

“Psh, okay, Kristoff. Which is it,” Elsa huffed as she signaled left. “You used to nag at my ‘Good Girl’ driving how I’d actually do a full stop at the stop signs. Would you prefer that I go back to that?”

“Jesus, no,” Kristoff groaned at the thought of the slowpoke Elsa on the road. “Just be sure to keep that speed demon side of you contained. You tend to forget how fast you’re going lately. It’s a miracle that you haven’t gotten a ticket yet.”

“I don’t get tickets.”

“Yeah, yeah, Ms. Goody Goodwin.”

“Well,” Elsa replied, “I wouldn’t say I’m a ‘good girl.’ Granted, I haven’t done anything as scandalous as most of the other girls in this town, but I’ve bent some rules before.” It was true. Elsa was far away from delinquent or even gossip material, but she also wasn’t as obedient and ‘goody goody’ as everyone—including her parents—had made her out to be. Elsa switched on the radio, which coincidentally happened to be playing a song that couldn’t possibly be any more appropriate for the moment. She tapped her fingers to the beat of 5 Seconds of Summer, humming to the chorus:

Forget what you thought, ‘cuz Good Girls are Bad Girls that haven’t been caught.

And with that, Elsa, together with Kristoff and Olaf sped off to their usual paradise: Cold Stone.
__________________________________________________________________

Chapter Two: Chilling Out

“Done.”

“What!?!” Kristoff and Olaf stared at Elsa with an expression that could pass as a hybrid between both amazement and disbelief.

Elsa shrugged in response and lied down in the grass. Kristoff turned to his ice cream, then back at the platinum blonde relaxing in the grass. He wasn’t even half way done with his scoop of rocky road and Olaf’s progress was even less. Kristoff scratched his head in wonder, “Seriously, Els, did you just sniff it of something? We just left the store like… right now.”

Elsa folded linked her hands and placed them behind her head as a pillow. She shrugged again, “It was chocolate.”

Kristoff shook his head and proceeded to eating his ice cream. Olaf quickly got up and scurried over to wedge himself in between Elsa and Kristoff in an attempt to get warm or at least escape the cool breeze that was blowing. Once he got himself situated, he returned his attention back to his cookies n’ cream.

Elsa glanced over at her brother and could tell that Olaf was trying his best not to start shivering. She rolled her eyes and sat back up, “I don’t see why you guys still insisted on ice cream even though it’s like… less than 70 degrees out.”
“It’s Kristoff,” Olaf said with ice cream smeared around his mouth, “He can eat ice cream, frozen yogurt, shaved ice, slurpees and stuff forever.”

“Oh, come on,” Kristoff said, shoving the last of his cone in his mouth, “you know that it doesn’t usually get this cold here in August. The weather’s being weird this year. Besides, ice is my life.”

“I l-like the s-s-summer b-b-better,” Olaf mumbled, drawing his knees closer to his body. The cold finally got to him. He didn’t want to admit it, but the sight of his teeth chattering betrayed his attempt to conceal his struggles. Elsa instinctively unzipped her sweater and placed it over her little brother’s shoulders. Olaf looked over at his Elsa who was once again lying on the grass with an arm resting over her eyes, seemingly unaffected by the temperature. He tugged on her sleeve.

“What is it,” she asked, peaking from under her arm.

“What about you?” Olaf said, concern coloring his face.

Her younger brother’s concern warmed her heart and she smiled, ruffling a hand through his short, red hair. “I’ll be fine,” she said while pulling her sleeves up to her elbows, “The cold doesn't really get to me. Never has even when Kristoff and I were kids.”

Olaf turned to look at Kristoff, who nodded, “It's true. We went to the beach once in 50 degree weather and she just hopped right in.” Oliver's eyes widened.

“That was a fun trip,” Elsa smiled.

Kris cringed at the memory, “You got hypothermia! How is that fun!?”

“It was fiiiiine. I didn't feel it at all”

“Your lips turned purple and no shit, you didn't feel it. That's 'cuz you were numb.”

“Anyways,” Oliver chimed in, “hypothermia is no laughing matter, but none of that matters now 'cuz Elsa is fine! You're fine, I'm fine, we're all fine. Right?”

Kristoff paused and squinted his eyes at Elsa one last time before leaving the topic alone.

Elsa took a deep breath. The weather was perfect. The breeze was just right. The faint sound of other people in the distance was calming enough. And though she could have sworn that she heard Kristoff once again referring to her as the “Ice Queen,” she was too content to care. With that, the three of them enjoyed the rest of the morning in the park. Spending their days carelessly in this manner was exactly how they figured they should spend their time, seeing as their summer vacation was already coming to a close. Olaf was going to start the 5th grade soon. Elsa and Kristoff still had to register for their classes. A silent anxiety ran through the three of them, but for now, they found contentment in each other’s presence, just chilling out.

____________________________

Chapter 3: Conceal

Oh nononononono, this can’t be happening, Elsa thought, eyes wide and fixed on her laptop. She clicked on the search bar and typed code after code. With each result, she became more and more panicked. Elsa sighed in surrender and slammed her head onto her desk. The force she exerted in doing so was so great that it could probably be heard from the other side of Kristoff’s house. It was a miracle that she didn’t break her glasses. Registration had finally opened to her batch of students and as usual, luck with enrolling wasn’t in her favor. She had always gotten last pick in the years before, but this semester just so happened to be the worse than all the other times she registered online for classes. Elsa glared at the screen through smudged glasses, as if hoping that it’d change what she saw. No such luck. Elsa mentally cursed her school about how it constantly screwed her over and how she felt she was getting nowhere with her general education.

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by a small voice outside her door. “Elsa,” Olaf called, “it’s uh… it’s 7 o’clock…”

Fffffrick, Elsa thought as she nearly slammed her laptop shut, “Okay, let’s go.”

Today was the first day of school at Arendelle Elementary school. Luckily for Elsa, her classes didn’t start for another few weeks. Olaf, on the other hand, was less than excited to start the 5th grade. During the previous years, he had always struggled to get average grades especially when it came to math. Last year, however, social anxiety was added onto Olaf’s list of struggles after his ‘best friend,’ Gaston turned out to be a bully and booted him out of their group. That event made Olaf realize how socially awkward he was when he didn’t know what to do with himself, or how to approach other kids.

Shortly after being isolated from his old group, Olaf had attempted to approach a small group of people, but in his state of anxiety, he ended up blurting out, “Hi, I’m Olaf and I like warm hugs.” That statement alone branded him as the ‘boy with cooties.” In addition to social and academic struggles, the event regarding the family trip and the loss of his parents only dug Olaf further into his grave. Oh, how Olaf wished he could be Elsa’s age so he wouldn’t need to attend Arendelle Elementary. He wouldn’t need to deal with those mean kids. He could leave behind his reputation as the ‘cootie boy.’ If not, he also fancied the thought of Elsa or Kristoff being his age, so he’d have some sort of back up. Olaf was sure Kristoff could put some of those kids in their places.

“Okay,” Elsa declared, voice lined with authority. “Backpack, glasses, shoes tied”

“Check, check, check,” Olaf replied, indicating each item as she listed them.

“Hair fixed?”

“Check.”

“Teeth brushed?”

“Check.”

“Alrighty, let’ go,” Elsa said, grabbing her keys off the counter.

Before Elsa made it to the door, Olaf tugged on her shirt, “Can we walk there?”

Because she was busy with registering and classes were being filled by the second, Elsa was reluctant to agree. She opened her mouth to argue, but upon seeing the pleading expression on Olaf’s face, she surrendered and agreed. As they left through the door, they yelled their goodbyes to Kristoff and he stirred from the couch, giving Olaf a thumbs up. The air was chilly and Olaf immediately dug his hands into his pockets, while Elsa remained unaffected by the temperature.

Elsa eyed here little brother’s struggle to keep warm, “You sure you wanna walk? It’s pretty chilly this morning.” She had a feeling Olaf wouldn’t change his mind, but still felt the need to offer. When Olaf shook his head as she expected, Elsa unzipped her jacket dropped it onto his shoulders, then proceeded to kneeling down with her back facing him, “Alrighty, hop on.”

The walk to Olaf’s school wasn’t too terribly long. However, things would have been easier on Elsa if she didn’t have an extra 53 lbs on her back. After about 20 minutes, they reached the school. As they approached the front gate, Elsa felt Olaf begin to squirm.

Elsa kneeled back down and let Olaf off of her back. As she stood up, Olaf returned her jacket and waved goodbye as if he was in a rush to separate. Elsa tilted her head curiously, “Olaf,” she said when he had already started walking away. He froze in place. Elsa took one step towards him, “You don’t want me to walk you to your classroom?”

Olaf shut his eyes. He did want her to walk him to class just like she had been doing in the previous years. Little did Elsa know that there was something preventing him from letting her—something she couldn’t know. Olaf turned around and grinned, “Elsa, I’m ten years old already. I’m big enough to go to class on my own now.”

Elsa sighed with a hint of concern still lining her face, “Are you sure?”

Olaf nodded enthusiastically and puffed his chest out like Kristoff always would to prove his manliness. “I’m in the 5th grade now Elsa. I’ve gotta be prepared. I’m gonna be a man soon!”

Elsa couldn’t help but stifle a small giggle at her brother’s new found pride as a ‘man.’ She could easily see that his knees were shaking, which gave away his obvious nervousness. Though she was still concerned, she decided to humor him. “Alright,” she said, “well, I wouldn’t want to interfere with your road to manhood, but you wouldn’t happen to be too manly for one last warm hug?” Elsa extended her arms wide, “I suppose I knew that this day was coming, but I didn’t think it’d happen so soon. Oh, woe is me! Whom shall I bestow my magical hugs upon now? Then again, I guess there’s always Sven—“

“Elsa!” Olaf yelped as he jumped into her arms. Elsa smiled and gave her brother a tight squeeze. Olaf pulled away slightly and the look that pained his face broke Elsa’s heart and she immediately regretted teasing him. He looked her in the eyes, while his were brimming with tears, “Elsa, is that true? Do people get too old for hugs?” Elsa’s eyes widened, “When I get big, will… will—“

“Relax, Olaf,” Elsa said, ruffling his hair. “Of course not. C’mon, I’m twenty-one and I still give hugs. Then there’s that lug, Kristoff and his spine crushing bear hugs.” She pulled Olaf in for another hug, “No matter how big you get, I’ll always hug my baby brother. Whether you like it or not.” Olaf sniffled against her chest, clinging to her as if his life depended on it. Before they knew it, the warning bell rang. Elsa released Olaf and she ruffled his hair one last time, giving him a reassuring smile. He waved goodbye to her and Elsa started walking back down the route home.

“Elsa!” Olaf yelled from behind. She looked over her shoulder. Olaf grinned at her, “Make sure you hurry home so you can finish registering for classes! When you’re done, I wanna watch a movie!” Elsa shot him a warm smile, nodded, then continued down the path to their house.

Olaf stood there and watched until she turned a corner. Once she was out of sight, he started walking towards his class. The warmth of his sister’s hugs and smile lingered for a few moments and he hoped it’d help him find the confidence to excel this year. Olaf didn’t even realize that he had an enormous smile on his face until he entered the school and it instantaneously disappeared at the sight of another boy standing only a few meters away from him. It was Gaston. Olaf’s blood ran cold the moment they locked eyes.

A smirk spread across Gaston’s lips, “Hey there, Olaf.”

Olaf focused his gaze on the ground and tried to speed past the fake that he was dumb enough to believe was his friend. Just get to class. Just get to class. Just get to class. Olaf’s velocity was suddenly thrown off course when he felt a forceful yank at his backpack, causing him to fall and land on his back.

“Where do you think you’re going, buddy?” Gaston looked down on Olaf, menacingly. “Looks like we’re classmates again this year, pal. I just know we’re gonna have a blast this year. It’ll be so much fun, right? Just like last year.”

A knot formed in Olaf’s stomach. I’m a man now. I’m a man, I’m a man I’m a man, I’m a man! I don’t need help… Olaf got up and dusted himself off. He tried to continue walking, doing his absolute best to avoid eye contact with Gaston. Unfortunately, Olaf only managed to take a few steps before another push had his hands and knees on the ground. Olaf looked over his shoulder and saw Gaston snickering at him.

“You’re really clumsy there, aren’t you,” Gaston sneered, “You should be careful.”

And with that, Gaston left for the classroom, being sure to kick dirt in Olaf’s face before leaving. Olaf stood up, fists clenched tightly at his sides. He glared at the cocky figure walking ahead of him. At the moment, there was nothing Olaf wanted more than to pick up a nearby rock and smash the smug look off of Gaston’s face. However, as tempting as it was, Olaf just shook his head and decided against it. He couldn’t risk getting in trouble for that. Not only would it worsen his reputation, but there was no doubt that the school would call Elsa about it. He didn’t want that. Olaf wiped the tears threatening to spill over his eyes.

Elsa can’t ever find out. She can never know. She’s always so busy. She’ll get worried… I have to conceal this… all of it…
________________________

Chapter 4: No Choice

“You’re kidding, right? ‘Pride as a man?’” questioned with a mouthful of toast.

Elsa nodded, “He wouldn’t even let me walk him to his classroom.”

Kristoff’ laughter filled the kitchen, “Man, what!? What a riot!” He held his stomach, trying to catch his breath, “I’m sorry, I just can’t get over it! ‘Pride as a man,’ where does that kid get all this stuff?”

Elsa giggled, glancing up at Kristoff, “I can think of where.” She handed him a mug of coffee, “Here’s your two creams and two sugars.”

Kristoff took it gratefully, “Thanks, Els.” He sipped from the mug while eyeing his cousin. He stifled a small laugh when he saw her glasses fog up when he tried to drink her own coffee. “So…” he continued, “what else did Olaf say?”

“Well, not much. He did puff out his chest like you always did.” Elsa smiled at the thought, but then her face morphed into sadness before she continued, “Before I left, he wished me luck on getting classes. He wants to watch a movie with us once we’re done.”

“He remembered something like that?”

Elsa removed her glasses and hung them on the collar of her shirt, “Yeah. Not that I mind, but kids his age usually aren’t aware of other people’s schedules, right? I’m proud that he’s so selfless, but—“

“That kid’s too mature for his age,” Kristoff sighed, grabbing a couple pieces of bacon off the serving plate. He paused when he saw Elsa’s plate was empty. “You’re no gonna eat anything?

Elsa shook her head, “I have to get back to registering. Classes are getting filled as we speak and I want to be able to watch a movie with Olaf as soon as he gets home.” Elsa stood from her seat and started walking towards her room. She was so deep in thought that she didn’t notice Kristoff leave his seat to block the hallway until she bumped right into his chest. Elsa stepped to the left. Kristoff mirrored her. She stepped to the right. He stepped in her way again. She grunted, “Kristoff, what the Hell. Move.”

Kristoff shook his head. Without a single word, he lifted Elsa over his shoulder and slowly made his way back towards the kitchen. Elsa flailed around, demanding that he put her down. Kristoff ignored her demands. Once they reached the kitchen, he sat her on the counter. Elsa motioned to get down, but one glare from Kristoff was enough to keep her from doing so.

“Kristoff, come on,” Elsa said, “I really have to get back to registering.”

“No can do, Els,” he responded, while taking her empty plate and began piling food on it. Four pieces of bacon, two eggs, a bagel and two waffles later, he turned around and handed her the plate. Elsa looked down at the plate, then up at her cousin. His eyes were locked on her, “You are not allowed to get up from that spot until you finish all of this.” He was serious. Kristoff was known to joke around, but Elsa knew when he wasn’t messing around. However, she found it odd that he’d suddenly get so serious over small matters like this.

Elsa paused, “Kristoff, there’s no way I could eat that much at once.”

Kristoff turned on his heel and returned to his spot at the dining table. His face grew soft again and as he chomped on a piece of bacon, “Yeah, you can. You’re a stick. But I know you can eat a ton.” He took a large bite out of his toast. “Besides,” he continued between bites, “I didn’t slave over a microwave, toaster and a pan for you to starve yourself.” Elsa looked down once more at the plate that was placed in her lap. She sighed and hopped off the counter, walking towards the table. She joined her cousin and sat across from him. There was no arguing with Kristoff when it came to these things. Continuing to oppose him would only waste more time. She took a small nibble out of her bagel. Kristoff smiled triumphantly. “That’s more like it,” he said while chewing a mouthful of egg.

Elsa propped her chin on her hand, “We should really work on your table manners, Kristoff.”

Kristoff gulped down a glass of water before responding, “Yeah, right. Say the girl with her elbow on the table.”

Elsa flinched, then immediately repositioned her posture and moved her arm off the table. She mentally kicked herself for forgetting such a basic rule after her mother spent years lecturing her about the importance of table etiquette. Kristoff wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, “Geez, Els. I already told you. You can drop the prim and proper crapola. We’re all dudes here, right?”

Elsa looked up from her plate and rolled her eyes, “Sure.”

After finished their meals, Elsa gathered the plates and placed them in the dishwasher while Kristoff wiped down the table. Once finished, she and Kristoff got their laptops and sat by each other on the couch, ready to register for their classes. About half an hour later, Elsa heard Kristoff cursing under his breath. She ignored it and resumed adding whatever classes she could get, knowing that the possibility of a nice schedule was but a distant dream. An hour later, she added her last class, making it a full load on her schedule in terms of units. She was on the waitlist for all, but two classes. She doubted that she’d manage to get into the remaining three, but it was something.

Elsa gently closed her laptop in defeat. Suddenly, she had the life scared out of her when Kristoff practically screamed, “SHIT! ARE YOU FUCKIN’ KIDDING ME!?”

The magnitude of Kristoff’s outburst sent Elsa hovering over the edge of the couch, in shock. She stared at her cousin, who was continuing to curse at the screen, while clicking his mouse furiously. “U-um…” Elsa squeaked, “is everything okay?”

“NO!” Kristoff yelled, glaring at the screen. His fingers pounded rapidly across his keyboard, “You fuckin’ noob! Quit feeding the other team! If you can’t play, uninstall!!!”

Elsa’s eye twitched, “Wait a minute…” She set her laptop safely on the coffee table before inching closer to Kristoff in order to get a closer view of his screen. Kristoff cursed again as his screen went grey and a respawn timer appeared on top of his screen. Elsa’s eyes widened, “You’re playing League!?! I thought you were registering for classes!”

Kristoff typed an angry message into the chat box, before responding to her, “Registration for Fjordsman University started last Friday. I’ve been done.”

“Oh…”

“God! This guy fuckin’ sucks! I tried helping him, but he does the opposite of everything I tell him to do! First he auto-locked Teemo, and doesn’t even know how to kite! Y’know what? I tried being a helpful teammate, but this whole thing has ruined me from helping anyone ever again.”

Elsa sat silently, unsure of what to say. She could never figure out what the right thing to say was when Kristoff was in rage mode. Eventually, after watching him build further on his character, Elsa decided to return to the original topic, “So… how’s your schedule?”

Kristoff resumed clicking away as he directed his signaled MIA on Tristana, “It won’t conflict with my job, but I’ll be coming home late now.”

“Great,” Elsa sighed, allowing herself to fall back and sink into the couch.

“How ‘bout you?”

“I’m waitlisted on all except two,” Elsa mumbled, staring at the ceiling, “as far as the ones I have, one of them is from one to two thirty. The other one is from three to six. Lab.”

“Ouch. Same days?”

“No, the days alternate. TTh are the lab class and the other one is MWF. Then there’s my job at the student bookstore too…”

“That’s a problem then,” Kristoff said, typing ‘GG’ into his laptop before closing it. He turned to Elsa, rubbing his eyes, “Does Arendelle Elementary have an after school program or anything?”

“It’s expensive.”

“I’ll pitch in.”

She shook her head, “I couldn’t ask you to do that. Besides, you know how Olaf’s kinda… awkward… On top of that, I know that Gaston brat is in it. Call me overprotective, but I do not wish to subject my younger brother to such cruel and unusual punishment.”

Kristoff sighed, pondering their options, “Well, I assume transferring Olaf to another school is out of the question.”

“As much as I wish it was that simple, you know the district’s rules. We live in Arendelle Elementary’s area, so we’re stuck with it unless Olaf somehow gets expelled.”

“Well then maybe Olaf could—“

“We are not going to get Olaf expelled, Kristoff.”

Kristoff snapped his fingers, “Well, damn.”

“Kristoff,” Elsa furrowed her brow at him, “this isn’t a joke.”

“Sorry, sorry,” he paused for a moment. Elsa twirled the end of her braid. Her eyes filled with disdain. Kristoff knew what she was thinking. There was no other option. He sighed deeply and spoke,” Guess there’s no other way, right?”

Elsa nodded, “How can I tell him?”

“I’ll pick him up from school today and break it to him. Don’t worry about it.”

“He’s not gonna be Happy.”

Kristoff shrugged, “I’m sure he’ll understand…”

Elsa took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, “I’ll start on the ad…”

“Chill, Els. How bad could it be?”

Kristoff lifted himself off the couch and stretched. “You need to use the bathroom? I’m gonnna head into the shower.”

“I’m good. Go on ahead,” Elsa replied, reopening her laptop. Kristoff disappeared down the hall, leaving Elsa alone with nothing but a frenzy of concerned thoughts and a blank screen open to Paint. I can’t believe it’s come down to this, she thought. Elsa quickly typed something out in large, bold font. She finished in a matter of seconds, then hit ‘print.’ She held up the ad in her hands as a hollow feeling descended on her.

HELP WANTED:
Baby Sitter
Payment is negotiable.
Must have prior experience with children.
For more details, please contact this number:
1-661-765-4321


I don’t have a great feeling about this, Elsa sighed. But what other choice do I have?

_____________________

Chapter 5: Olaf’s Call

Kristoff sipped his lemonade, silently. Kristoff sat across from him, trying to carefully begin his approach. He was hoping that taking Olaf to In-N-Out would help lighten his mood when he’d break the news about the babysitter. It was lunch time and Kristoff went to Arendelle Elementary to pull him out for the break. He observed the small ten-year-old down his burger effortlessly.

“Man, kiddo,” Kristoff began, trying to sound casual, “I will never understand where you and your sister put it all…”

Olaf looked up and swallowed before replying, “You eat a lot too though.”

“Well, I’m different,” Kristoff said, flexing one of his arms, “I gotta keep these guns fueled, haha.”

Olaf laughed. Kristoff could understand why Elsa was so attached to him. Olaf always seemed to have a light aura surrounding him that was contagious to them. Today, however, there was something about the light in Olaf’s eyes that seemed… artificial. After Olaf calmed down from his giggle fit, he spoke up, “So did Elsa finish getting her classes?”

Kristoff hesitated, thinking of how to word his next few sentences, “Yeah, she finished registering. She’s off doing errands right now.” Olaf nodded and rubbed his arms. Though they were indoors, it was still chilly enough to give Olaf goose bumps. This didn’t go unnoticed, however. Kristoff’s eyes suddenly grew more serious, “What happened to your sweater?”

“I forgot it in the classroom,” Olaf replied, a bit too swiftly.

Kristoff didn’t let it fly past him, “You wanna try that one again?”

Olaf paused. He didn’t want to talk about his run in with Gaston that morning, but he was already in a bind. “I fell this morning,” he began, “so it got dirty.” It was partly true, technically. He hoped that it was enough to get Kristoff off his back.

Kristoff sighed, “Alright.”An awkward silence passed between the two of them before Kristoff continued. “Okay, kiddo, we need to talk about something.”

Olaf didn’t like the sound of Kristoff’s tone. Nervousness churned in his stomach. “O-okay? About what?”

“Just try not to get mad, okay?”

When you start off like that, it already sounds bad, Olaf thought to himself. He nodded.

“Elsa’s registration didn’t go too well.”

“She didn’t get her classes?”
“No, she got at least two. She’s waitlisted on the other four.”

“Okay…” Olaf’s sank to the floor, “so what’s the bad news?”

“Hm?”

“She can’t pick me up anymore, can she…?”

Kristoff hesitated and eyed the small boy sitting in front of him. The light in his eyes were gone and for the first time ever, Kristoff noticed how sunken in Olaf's eyes actually were. Not only that, but he never noticed that dark rings were forming right below Olaf's eyes... or had they always been there? They were already pretty dark, so it was a wonder how neither he nor Elsa ever noticed. Kristoff shifted uncomfortably in his chair, unsure of how to react not only to Olaf's question, but the sudden exposure to this side of him that Kristoff could only think to describe as "melancholic."

Kristoff shook his head and decided to focus on the main issue, "You know she doesn't like the situation either. She tried, kiddo. She really did." Olaf stared down blankly at the table. Kristoff couldn't determine exactly what may have been going through the ten year old's mind. After some time, Kristoff cleared his throat and reluctantly asked how Olaf was feeling, snapping him out of his blank trance.

Olaf shrugged in response, "Elsa tried, right? It's okay, I guess..." Kristoff could easily detect how Olaf's sentences sounded forced. "So... what'll happen to me? Am I gonna get put in the after school program."

"Are you kiddin'?" Kristoff said, trying to lighten the mood again, "No way we'd drop you there. That program is totally full of a bunch of vampires. There's no way we'd let them try to recruit you into their legion of the undead."

Olaf forced a laugh, "Okay... So what'll happen?"

"We're gonna look into getting you a babysitter," Kristoff said finally. Olaf cringed at the thought of a controlling old lady coming to take care of him for who knows how long per day. Kristoff could sense that Olaf didn't fancy the idea at all. "Don't worry," Kristoff said, "Elsa won't just entrust you to anyone. She and I will be sure that you will be put under the care of someone we deem worthy of your manly manliness."

Olaf nodded silently.

"Hey, c'mon. It won't be that bad. Who knows? Maybe they'll be awesome like Mr. P!"

"Okay," Olaf mumbled, "when will she interview people?"

"This weekend, probably. Why?"

"I want to have a say in who you choose. It's only fair."

"Sure thing, kiddo. You can't be too picky though. We only have until the first day of our semester to choose someone." Olaf nodded in agreement. Kristoff sighed and checked his watch, "Okay, squirt. Let's head out. I promised your teacher I'd have you back on time."

"Huh? Mr. P. isn't my teacher. My teacher's name is Ms. Nani."

"What? Then how--"

Olaf got up, "C'mon, let's go. If I'm late and Elsa finds out, she's gonna turn into a monster again." He started hyperactively skipping towards the door and Kristoff followed silently. Though Olaf was jumping around, Kristoff could no longer feel the usual light aura he was so accustomed to. Even far after he dropped off Olaf at the school and watched him wave goodbye enthusiastically, Kristoff couldn't get the image of Olaf's melancholy out of his mind. It left an unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach when he wondered just how long his baby cousin had been this way...

______________________________________________________________________________

Olaf looked at the clock that sat on the office secretary's desk. He still had ten minutes before he had to return to his classroom, so instead of returning to the playground, he took a detour and walked further into the office until he reached a hall that was lined with doors. He slowly walked past each door, one by one. When he reached the end of the hall, he stood outside a specific office and took a seat on one of the empty chairs lined against the wall. Not long after he sat down, the door to the office swung open and a thin boy dragged his feet out the door.

"Kuzco!" Patcha's voice called from inside the mini office, "I'm not kidding. Even if it's just words, I don't want to hear Ms. Nani reporting you back up here for threatening to have kids thrown out the window."

The boy rolled his eyes defiantly and mumbled, "It's their fault for throwing off my groove..."

Olaf recognized Kuzco from his class. Kuzco was a bit... egoistic, loud, obnoxious and not entirely someone he really fancied to be around, but Olaf kept his mouth shut and avoided eye contact. After Kuzco was a good distance away, Olaf hopped off his chair and slowly made his way into Patcha's office. The large man was leaning against his chair, pinching the bridge of his nose in silent frustration.

Olaf cleared his throat, making his presence known. Patcha opened his eyes and snapped back to attention, "Oh, hi there, Olaf. Didn't see you there. How was your lunch?"

Olaf just nodded, "It was good. Um..."

"Was there something you needed?"

Olaf nodded.

Patcha awaited to hear out Olaf's request, but Olaf remained silence, twiddling his thumbs. Patcha sighed in understanding, "Did you want to call your sister again?"

The ten year old nodded again, shyly. Patcha got up and walked past Olaf to close the door behind them, before fishing out his cell phone from his pocket. He dialed a number into the number pad and handed it to Olaf. Olaf thanked the man and held the phone to his ear with both hands, listening to the phone ring a few times, before someone finally picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hihi, Sissy," Olaf said.

"Olaf? Hihi, what's up?"


___________________________________
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
If you're reading this, you made it to the end! Yes, I know this is an ElsAnna fic, but you must be wondering where the Hell Anna is. She appears in the next chapter. I'd prefer not to jump right into the couple stuff right away to set up the vibe, characters and hopefully convince the readers that this isn't just a fetishized smut fic and I actually took the time to think things through. More kameos in the next few chapters. I actually began this story shortly after the release of the first Frozen movie, but fell into a rut. Now that the second movie has been released, I feel that I have more material I can work with.
© Copyright 2019 ArremTea803 (arremtea803 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2207817-What-You-Dont-Know-CHAPTERS-1-5