*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2214474-The-Vide
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #2214474
Everything is off and he is alone.

The Vide



When he woke up it was slightly cold there was a misty smell in the air, and light was creeping in through the windows blinds. Something had felt off about this particular morning. The neighbors who were usually awake and busy when he rose were silent, in fact he could hear almost nothing outside. The cars that drove past his apartment and honked at one another had fell quiet.

"What is going on?" He thought to himself.

"Come on, John."

"I'll just get ready for the day."

He sat up in his bed looking around at his apartment the rustic look of the place was somewhat off putting, something was off even in his own apartment.

"D-did someone break in while I was asleep," He asked himself.

"How did I not wake up?"

As he got up, he got dizzy starting to see in swirls almost falling on the small nightstands he had next to the bed. Quickly regaining his composure, He slowly walked over to the bathroom one step at a time trying not to step on anything moving in the path of a snake. Eventually making it to the bathroom, he started up the shower and move on to the sink to brush his teeth he always loved this part of the morning it was like his own little world, one that he could control. With steam starting to fill the air he decided it was time to start brushing his teeth. After that he got into the shower as the hot water ran down his back, he felt a sense of ease as it stimulated the skin waking him up a little. Suddenly he heard something he didn't expect this early. There was a knock at the door. He quickly turned off the shower, grabbed his towel and quickly made his way to the door. He looked out the peep hole on the door and to his surprise saw nothing on the other end. Weirded out he went back to his sleeping area and got some clothes on.

"I guess I'll wear green again today, oh and cargos I don't know how cold it will get today."

After putting on the clothes he started making his way to his little area they tried passing off as a kitchen. To his horror he heard it again 'knock. Knock. Knock.' He stared at the door in disbelief. He ran to the door to try and see who is knocking. He looked out the peep whole again this time he saw it, a little wood pecker knocking on the door trying to get something to eat from inside the door.

"What the hell?" he whispered to himself.

Shrugging it off he went back to the kitchen area to make himself some breakfast. He began putting some toast in the toaster and pushed it down. Waiting for the toast he looked at his phone and saw the time.

"Shit I'm late!"

The toast popped up and he grabbed it in a hurry putting his phone in his pocket in the process never noticing that there was no service on it. He made his way to the door grabbed his keys and walked out completely forgetting there was a bird picking at his door only just a few minutes ago. He walked further into the hall. Going past each door as he continued to the stairs, it was still unusually quite for this time of morning. Did they evacuate the building? Is this a joke being played on me? He trekked his way down the stairs still feeling this uncomfortable aura in the building. Getting to the first floor not even the girl that's usually at the front desk was there.

"What is going on?"

He went to the desk to investigate he saw the door leading to the backroom was slightly ajar he tried looking through the crack but couldn't see anything worth noting.

"I guess she took an early break"

He looked outside seeing a street void of almost all life. Nothing but empty cars in the street. He heard honking and other sound traffic coming from the next block over. Did they close this street for something? Continuing on his normal commute still with same uncomfortable feeling in the air. 'there aren't even people in the windows.' He thought. Once at work the doors opened as they should and he walked in. he went to the elevator and pushed the button. Waiting for the elevator he hears it yet again. 'knock. Knock' looking in the direction it came from, he was filled with sudden fear.


"there's no way that bird followed me here."

'ding.' the elevator doors opened and he got in while still looking in the direction of the knocks. At the last second, he saw something starting to approach. 'was that what was making the knocks.' As the doors closed, he pushed the button for the fourth floor. He could feel the strange feeling you only get when going up in an elevator, like he was falling but going up at the same time. The doors opened revealing an empty off space. He stared at the empty room with a confused expression on his face. He cautiously took his first steps into the room. Walking passed the desk were the secretary is usually at taking calls and greeting everyone that walks out of the elevator.

"What is going on today?"

As he walked by one of the conference room doors it happened again 'knock. Knock.' He just back in the other direction. Gaining his composure, he quickly went to check the room. Looking through the window he saw it was empty.

"Something is seriously wrong here!"

He bolted toward the elevator. Once on he franticly pushed the first-floor button until the doors closed. As the elevator made its way down, he looked around everywhere in the small metal space he was in starting to feel panicked. Finally, the elevator doors opened after what felt like hours. Not even thinking he ran all the way back to his apartment. Out of breath he slammed his door shut.

'what was that thing?!'

'who the knocked on that door at the office'

Questions kept rolling around in his mind as he sat on his bed visibly shaken.

"Am I.... alone?"



Like a puzzle being finished all the pieces finally came together. The lack of people in his building, the empty street, no one in the office. He realized he was the only one there. On the verge of a panic attack he then remembered he heard the sounds of traffic from a block away. He rushed out of his apartment, down the stairs, and into the street. He then ran to the next block over, as he got closer the sounds stopped. He reached his destination only to find he was still alone. Hearing the same sound coming from the street he was just at he excitedly ran back but got the same result. Overwhelmed with defeat he shuffled back to his apartment. Up the stairs, down the hall, back at his empty apartment. He walked in and closed the door not bothering to lock it after all he was alone. He laid back down on his bed and curled up in a fetal position. Starting to fall into a depressed state his eyes widened in fear as he heard two knocks followed by the sound of his door opening. With blood rushing through his body he dashed to the bathroom to hide in the shower. He heard the footsteps creeping closer 'thud. 'thud'. The closer they got the mor his heart raced. The shower curtain was ripped down, right in front of John was nothing but the bathroom he had first entered. He began to step over the side of the tub when the grip on his shoes loosened. He saw himself descending toward the ground with everything going black.

Coming to opening his eyes with the sting of a bright light. And the smell of rubbing alcohol l in the air he began to see the blurred figure of a what looked to be a nurse.

"Where? Where am I?" he asked.

"you're in the hospital. You had a nasty fall. Luckily your neighbor heard you?" she explained.

Looking around dazed and confused he remembered what had happened to him. He died while in his apartment.

© Copyright 2020 Bill Kas (sumisutheowl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2214474-The-Vide