*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217969-Martin-Luther-King-Jrs-dream
by Aylin
Rated: E · Essay · Cultural · #2217969
He had a dream, but has it become a reality?
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, «You can kill the dreamer, but you can’t kill the dream». Martin Luther King Jr had a dream of a world free from discrimination and from black people being treated differently. He wrote “I Have a Dream” just hoping for better conditions. I am going to tell you about the situation today, and then you can decide whether we have reached equality or not.

According to Civil Rights Data Collection, black students are still 3 to 4 times more likely than white students to be expelled or face multiple suspensions from school. He would not be proud, not be happy, he would be sad to see that his grandchildren, that he wanted to see grow up in a world without discrimination, instead grow up in a world where they might get expelled because of their skin color.

In the text Economic Mobility from Brooklyns they tell us that 54 percent of black children born to parents in the bottom quintile stay at the bottom, compared to white children where there is 31 percent that stays in the bottom. Is this equal? I wonder how you would feel if you got treated differently and the reason would be as dysfunctional as the color of your skin?

On September 6, 2018, off-duty Dallas Police Department patrol officer Amber Guyger shot a black man named Botham Jean. Guyger said that she went home and that she had entered the apartment believing it was her own, and then she shot Jean believing he was a burglar. The fact that she shot and killed an unarmed black man resulted in racial discrimination and she was found guilty of murder. The next day, she received ten years in prison. Things like this happen all the time and it can’t continue like this.

People are dying, hurting, suffering and all we do is to accept the fact that the world is unfair. Why does it have to be so hard for people to love? We ignore the ones who need us, and we accept the ones who hate. Black people have been through a lot since 1619 and lack of knowledge will increase the hate. If you hear someone say something mean to anyone, make them stop. Too many people are too blind to see that black people are not equally treated. We have to stop hating and start demonstrating for love. Our only solution is love.

It might be true that no one has the power to change the whole world, but I was hoping this might change some people. If one can kill the dreamer but can’t kill the dream, then it should be our job to make this dream come true. A person’s skin color is no reason to hate. I want all of you to think about what kind of world you would like to have. A world filled with love or a world filled with hate? What is your dream? Martin Luther King Jr had a dream of a world free from discrimination. Now I have a dream of an equal world. I have a dream that I can do better. I have a dream that you can do better, and I have a dream that we as one world can do a lot better and take this opportunity to increase the love. Let us make this dream come true.
© Copyright 2020 Aylin (aylin.03 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217969-Martin-Luther-King-Jrs-dream