*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2218577-Queen-Sue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2218577
Contest Entry 300 Words (285 words)
Before they got into the car they gave each other a big hug.
“Remember dad, you can’t tell me what to do.”
“Yes, I know, just apply all the training that you have done, and I won’t need to tell you anything. Remember the clock can be your friend but it can also your enemy Sue.”

The drive to the library only took ten minutes, Sue was very nervous but also very confident. Her dad drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as they drove down the high street.

Pulling up in front of the library they could see a few of Sue’s opponents walking into the library.

“Okay, are you all set, do you have your board, pieces and clock?”
“Yes dad you have asked me that a hundred times today.”

The sign on the library door announced that the junior chess championship would start at 1pm.
Sue met her first opponent and they set up to play. Her dad stood back at a respectable distance and reflected that it was up to her now. All the games that they had played over the last year would be great experience for Sue to go in to her first competition.

The clock was punched, and Sue and her opponent made their first bold moves. The initial five moves passed quite quickly. Then Sue started using all the time she had on the clock, making sure that she didn’t make any silly mistakes.
Sue had the upper hand, it was obvious to any chess players watching that she was a confident player. On the twenty-fifth move her opponent resigned the game.

A proud dad watched and knew that he didn’t have to tell her what to do.
© Copyright 2020 Toffeeman1957 (toffeeman1957 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2218577-Queen-Sue