*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2219081-Otis
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2219081
First page of a larger short story I am working on. edits are welcome! Thank you.
Chapter one: Page one: Otis

1
Intro:
Otis knew he was dreaming but it felt almost indistinguishable from reality. He stood in The Clearing, at the end of a path. Cold bit at his nose and lips. Fresh snow covered the ground and the sky was lined with a layer of low hanging clouds. He could feel the pressure in the air and the complete stillness all around. Nothing seemed to move. He could imagine time not even daring to break the stillness of The Clearing.
          His eyes scanned the tree line and made out what looked like a man, but the features exaggerated to the point of posterity. The figure was tall, taller than any man Otis had ever seen before. He was completely naked except for a skin loin cloth coving his bottom half. His body looked starved to the point of emaciation, the skin almost as white as the snow. The things joints protruded at ever junction making it look feral and dying. The skin was pulled tightly over the face, it's lips non-existent.
          Otis thought the hole located below its nose more an instrument of ingestion rather then a mouth used to discharge speech or even sound. He watched the figure break the stillness of The Clearing, raise it head towards the sky. Even the way the head moved looked unnatural, jerky and the muscles spasming as if fighting against itself. It turned and Otis watched with mounting horror as it faded into the tree line, being enveloped in the thick pine's branches. Once completely out of view Otis relaxed a little and was able noticed his body was frozen in place. He willed himself to move but every muscle felt as if covered in a layer of thick unyielding ice. He had the overwhelming feeling of eyes trained of the back of his neck and felt sure the figure was only feet away from him. He could feel cold radiation off the naked things body. Otis was able to turn just in time as the hideous thing opened its mouth exposing row upon row of sharply filed teeth. He examined its widening mouth in terror and saw only darkness within. The darkness spread until it completely covered his field of view, and then he felt the sensation of falling.

Authors note: This is the first page of a larger story I am working on. Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions or edits, I would be eager to hear them.

© Copyright 2020 John Farson (johnfarson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2219081-Otis