*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222845-Maria
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #2222845
Names usually give one power.
         She surprised him. He was ready to take her away to feed his hunger, when she came up to him. The woman's long black hair fell lovingly over her dark, nearly bare shoulders. Her body was language was more than enough to make any man in the bar leave with her, even sober. Her eyes were confident and defiant; a girl used to getting what she wanted. It was all enough to make him want to turn her, let her live with him forever. But that was not the plan tonight.

         Emrys and Ludivine had just escaped from some hunters who weren't very happy with them. Although they had gained an extra day, they weren't staying any longer than they needed to. The girl was just a pick-me-up.

         He was on top of her in bed in the small room she had rented from the inn above the pub. Their clothes littered the floor at the foot, her corset ripped in two.

         She smiled and wiggled, ready for more.

         'Something wrong, Will?' she asked.

         'No,' he hesitated. He didn't want to ask the question that was racing through his mind, but some how he couldn't stop himself. 'What is your name? Your real name?'

         'Almost dawn and you finally ask me? Strange one, you are. It's Mary.' She wiggled some more under him and giggled.

         Emrys stared at the wall behind the bed for a moment before lowering himself to her neck. Too late, the girl realised his bite was meant to kill.

         As he pulled away again, he looked into her lifeless brown eyes. Mary. He cursed. In most magics around the world, knowing a victim's real name gave you power over them. Knowing his seemed to take it away. And that damned unicorn knew it.


© Copyright 2020 Kymela Tejasi (herumouni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2222845-Maria