*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229293-Bernard
Rated: GC · Novel · History · #2229293
England is at war with Germany, but the Germans are the least of his worries. 12yo Bernard
Bernard Brennus ran laughing through the familiar hedge maze of his cousin Brennan’s family manor. His thick shoulder length chestnut brown hair was loose and flying in the wind as he tried his best to lose Brennan in the twists and turns. But it was Brennan’s maze on Brennan’s manor, so he had no trouble staying right on Bernard’s heels. Brennan was two years older than Bernard but the only child of the legitimate heir, whereas Bernard was the baby of six. His closest older sister, Adelaide, was almost six years older than him. Bernard and Brennan had spent a good deal of their childhood together, playing and growing quite close. It was the last day of Bernard’s four week long stay at Brennan’s and they were determined to fit as much play as possible into the few hours they had left.

As they plopped down on the expansive lawn, Bernard pouted. “I wish I didn’t have to leave. Or at least that you were coming with me.”

“You will be going to a new ‘prestigious’ boarding school,” Brennan teased, his short coppery hair looking blindingly bright in the sun.

“It’s only new to me,” Bernard admitted. “Supposedly it’s really really old. For the first time I’ll be only coming home on holidays, and I’m just really nervous to be spending so long away from any family, other than Addie. I always went home on the weekends before, and school was a lot closer to home. This place is all the way in London!”

“Ugh! Maybe Apollo will visit.” Brennan suggested hopefully, mentioning his father’s best friend, who had been an ever present fixture in both of their lives. “He does a lot of business in London.”

“I hope so,” Bernard groused. “It’s bad enough going to secondary for the first time, but to not see anyone I know for months at a time sounds really scary. And dad and my brothers say that we could be at war with Germany any time now. I want to be home, or with you or Apollo if we’re at war.”

“Another war with Germany! Mum came here after the last one, she really doesn’t want to deal with another one.” Brennan grumbled. He then turned to Bernard, “Don’t worry, you’ll probably be bigger than anyone there, even the teachers.”

“I’m still only eleven.” Bernard moaned.

“Yeah, but you’ll be twelve by the time I see you at Christmas, and you’re already almost six feet tall,” Brennan argued. “Just because you’re a pipsqueak compared to our family doesn’t mean you’re not huge compared to the rest of the world,” he said, playfully pushing Bernard down and easily overpowering him as they began to wrestle.

“Maybe… they’ll… teach me to take… you down,” Bernard answered, struggling against his much bigger thirteen-year-old cousin.

“Doubt they’ll have anyone big enough to teach you how to take me down, unless they train you on a grizzly,” Brennan joked, letting Bernard up.

“Yeah, but that’s life in a miniature world,” Bernard laughed, but his warm brown eyes were sad. “Why do we have to be so big?”

“I don’t know. Our family’s just always been big. Look at our great, great, great, I can’t remember how many greats, grandfather in the painting on the stairs compared to Apollo’s however many greats grandmother. And she was about the same size as the prince she ended up marrying.” Brennan lectured, feeling rather grown-up as he reminded Bernard of their shared history. “Besides, dad’s only a little over six nine.”

“Yeah, but my dad and my brothers are all over seven foot,” Bernard countered, “And unlike you and uncle Brendan, we live just outside of Glasgow. Everyone treats them like they’re freaks until they get to know them. And I’m going to London.”

“I’m sorry. Maybe it won't be so bad.”

“Either way, I’m going to miss you.” he moaned, jumping on top of Brennan. “I need you to practice on.”

Brennan needed only one hand to overpower Bernard and take him down, holding him helplessly.

“Brennan! You do not be mean to Bernard!” Brennan’s mum Millicent chided in a strong German accent as she came across the lawn. “Bernard! Do not get dirty!”

“Jawohl” Bernard teased with a smile.

“It Ja, gnädige Frau,” she corrected with a smirk. “We will miss you,” she admitted as she softened and looked Bernard over, helping him up. In spite of how tall Bernard was, Millicent still had him beat by a few inches. “You will be leaving soon. Get ready.”

“I’m gonna miss you too Ma’am. Especially your cooking,” he said patting his belly.

“We fatten you up yet,” she smiled. “Now brush your hair and get ready. We will drive you.”

The boys ran off to clean up and eat one last time before they left for the train station. They burst in through the back kitchen door and started rummaging through the pantry. Rona, one of Brennan’s servants, came in to see what all the racket was, then began making sandwiches to take with them. She looked tiny compared to the boys, at only five-three and plump. Her dark brown hair was tied tightly back in a bun and her blue eyes were soft and friendly. The boys noisily helped her, laughing and eating as they went.

As they were loading the last of the food into a basket, Bernard’s uncle, Brendan, came in, dwarfing the boys. He was a full head taller than Bernard and nearly three times as wide, as both boys were still rather lanky. He had the same coppery hair as his son only muted by the grey sprinkled in, giving it a more blonde look.

“There you two are. I thought I heard a parade of elephants in here,” Brendan teased. “I just wanted to give you a hug before you left. We’re going to miss you. Especially Brennan here. Stay safe, and come back to us with all kinds of stories.” He then wrapped Bernard in a giant hug, his fluffy red beard tickling Bernard’s forehead. “We expect letters from you telling us how horrible school is,” he chuckled as he let go. “You wouldn’t want Brennan to get jealous would you?” he winked.

“I’ll have to look for interesting and exciting things to write about and make it sound as fun as possible. Even if I have to make things up,” Bernard smiled.

“That’s the spirit,” Brendan smiled back. “Milli said she was going to drive you, so I guess I’ll ride along while she drives. I wouldn't want to make an over six foot tall German woman angry with me," he winked. "Seriously though, I plan to see you off, especially as this is goodby until the holidays. I hope you do enjoy school.”

“It’s where Mum and all of my siblings went, and they all survived, so I guess I will too.” Turning to Brennan he teased, “I thought you were the Brennus heir and I was just your illegitimate cousin. Why do I have to be all properly educated and you don’t?”

“Because your Mum’s a lot more noble than I am,” Brendan laughed. “I’m just a small time regional Lord. She’s related to the king, and half his family. My half brother married up.”

“Come back and teach me everything you learn,” Brennan smiled. “And I will continue to teach you everything I learn.”

“It’s a deal.” Bernard promised.

When everything was packed, the three of them stood on the front steps with Bernard’s bags and the picnic basket. Millicent pulled up to the front door in a beautiful convertible maroon Mercedes. Brendan smiled to see the sun dancing golden in her light brown hair as the wind tossed it about. Millicent always kept her hair so neat and controlled, Brendan reveled in seeing it wild, and for a moment unkempt. Millicent quickly smoothed her hair back into the carefully kept style that she always wore it in as Brendan helped the boys with Bernard’s bags.

Brendan climbed into the passenger seat and reached over, ruffling Millicent’s hair. “Leave it love. The wind is just going to mess it up again, and I like it,” he smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

She giggled and blushed, turning the engine over and making sure the boys were situated before taking off.

Millicent was almost a head taller than most of the men at the Thurso station, and strangers gawked at the “giantess” saying goodby to Bernard and mothering him. The majority of the Scotish weren’t used to seeing people as big as the Brennus family (though Millicent had been only a little bigger than normal back home in northern Germany). Brendan and Millicent sat down on a bench hoping that they wouldn’t be as noteworthy. The boys still garnered a lot of attention as they ran and played, looking very much like adults. Brennan was already well over six foot tall and broad shouldered. They were used to it though and didn’t let it bother them in the slightest.

Millicent double checked everything and then some for Bernard when the train arrived. She made sure his hair was neatly tied back and his clothes were still clean. He had on his ring with his mother’s family crest for the first time, so she gave him a refresher on it's importance and power. Brendan made sure all of his luggage made it on the train and he had cash to get food in the dining car. Brennan handed him the picnic basket before he left, "Just in case." Bernard felt smothered but happy, loved, and very reluctant to leave, as Millicent rechecked his ticket for the fifth time. He wouldn’t have it any other way. He hugged Brendan, kissed Millicent goodby and smacked Brennan on the arm, willing himself not to drag him onto the train with him as he boarded. He would give anything for the simple peaceful life Brennan had. No drama, no boarding school, nothing to worry about but harvest and a village that mostly took care of itself. No, Bernard had to go off to London with war looming over them like a menacing shadow. He was looking forward to seeing his parents one last time before being gone for almost four months. And his older brother was home on leave, but Arthur would be leaving at the same time Bernard was, and he was in the infantry. Bernard wouldn’t miss a moment at home for the world.

He sat in the empty compartment on the platform side of the train, looking out the open window and waving. The Brennus’ stood sadly waving goodbye as the train pulled away. He really hoped the war would hold off long enough for him to return over winter break. Maybe all of his siblings, and Apollo, could be there too. Brendan threw the best Christmas parties.


Chapter 2

The clickity-clack of the rails droned on and the scenery seemed to blend monotonously together as he rode alone across the highlands. He felt small and afraid in the empty compartment. Even the smallest bit of conversation would be a welcome relief. He decided to get up and go in search of company, as none was coming his way of its own accord. He left his bags and walked to the dining car to while away some of the long train ride. Maybe he could meet a new friend to help him pass the time.

The dining car was nearly empty except for a few people standing around the bar, and there was still more than an hour until the tea rush. Bernard hesitated a second, but as he didn’t really want to sit alone at a table, he walked up and absently set his hand on the bar asking for a ginger ale.

Two women standing beside him turned and struck up a conversation with him before he had even received his drink. As they talked the women became flirtatious and a bit pushy, making Bernard a little uncomfortable. He was used to people thinking he was an adult, but women didn’t really flirt much, at least that he had noticed, and never that aggressively. After a few minutes, one of them reached over and started playing with his ring while ordering another round.

“Bernard here has our backs, doesn’t he?” she cooed, getting a little too close for comfort. “Do you want to order something else? Or do you want to settle up and go somewhere more private?”

All of his alarm bells were going off as he realized, they were only talking to him because they had noticed his mother’s family crest. They were being friendly and flirtatious, talking up the “rich kid” in hopes of him paying their tab, just like Millicent had warned him. He had seen it happen to his father and brothers but this was the first time it was happening to him. Of course this was also the first time he was wearing his ring. He quickly finished his drink and excused himself. He went straight to the loo where he took off his ring and put it in his pocket.

“You’re a big strong man, you’re a big strong man!” he repeated to himself while looking in the mirror. “Aww, who am I kidding,” he moaned sadly. He made up his mind to quietly slip out and go back to his compartment. Lonely or not, it was safe.

When he came back out, the women were waiting for him at the door. He startled and looked at them anxiously.
“You’re coming back, aren’t you?” the one asked, running her finger up his arm. “We were barely getting to know each other.”
“Perhaps you’d like to come back to our compartment with us,” the other one invited, taking his hand.
“Uh, I uh…” Bernard looked desperately around the room just as a young teenage girl timidly walked in and sat down at a table. Bernard smiled. “The person I was waiting for just arrived,” he said, pushing past the women and rushing over to the girl.
The poor girl looked up at him, the fear plain in her soft blue eyes as he sat down without being invited.
“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “Please play along. Those women were waiting for me when I came out of the loo, and they were being really creepy and trying to get me to go back to their compartment with them.” He knit his chestnut eyebrows and his soft brown eyes were pleading as he dwarfed her tiny frame.
She burst out laughing and looked at him questioningly. “Why on earth would you be afraid of two tiny little women?”
“I don’t know…” he mumbled, hanging his head.
She reached across the table and patted his large hand placatingly with her own tiny fingers. “It’s okay,” she teased, starting to smile at the irony. “I’ll protect you,” she almost mocked with a smirk, but she was still tense and on edge. She then looked down at his hand. “You usually wear a ring. Did you lose it?” she asked suspiciously.
He yanked his hand away, shoving it nervously under the table. “I should have just stayed in my compartment,” he mumbled sadly.

“Oh… you’re someone of note,” she surmised cynically, keeping up her facade but softening a little.

“Not really, but my mum is,” he admitted hesitantly.

She tilted her head and her expression became concerned as she asked, “Wait, how old are you?”

Bernard felt humiliated. “Eleven,” he nearly whispered.

“Really?” she asked sceptically, looking him straight in the eyes. He could feel the tears coming and just wanted to run away. “Oh… that explains everything,” she smiled. “Don’t cry,” she soothed, her face softening and turning sympathetic. “I’m only thirteen. So when someone who looks like, well... you, comes over and sits down, without even introducing themselves, well… you understand.”

“I’m, I’m sorry,” he said, starting to get up.

“Don’t you go leaving,” she chided with a smirk. “At least not until they do. We're safer together. My dad’s gone a lot, so I’ve dealt with creeps before. Not posh creeps, but mankey creeps,” she admitted nervously.

Bernard’s shoulders finally relaxed and he smiled in spite of his fear. “Thank you!”

“I’m Amanda. Do you have a long ride?” she asked, starting to talk to him like he was a little kid, but trying to make conversation.

“Bernard, I, I don’t get off the train until Glasgow, so I still have a long ride ahead of me.” he answered, trying to remember his manners. “You?”

“I’m going all the way to Manchester. I have to live with my aunt while my dad’s on orders,” she admitted sadly. “I’ll be going to a strange school with kids I’ve never met, and they’ll probably think I'm weird because I have an accent. I’m so afraid no one will like me or talk to me. It’s really scary” she said, starting to ramble.

“Yeah, me too,” Bernard said, making a face. “I’m coming from holiday at my cousin’s up north. I only have a week at home before I go to secondary school in London for the first time. But my brother’s coming home on leave, so at least I’ll get to see him before I go.”

“Is he military too?” she asked, knitting her thin pale eyebrows.

Bernard nodded, staring at the table.

“Yeah, I’m really scared we’ll go to war,” Amanda quietly admitted.

“Me too.”

A waiter interrupted their conversation, bringing menus and silverware. The look on Amanda’s face when she looked at the menu told Bernard everything as she sadly sputtered, “I’ll just have water.”

Bernard looked at her and realized, this was something he did know. Whenever he went to restaurants with his mum or sisters, waiters always deferred to him due to his size. He had plenty of practice ordering. Throwing his shoulders back and sitting up straight he firmly said, “Two ginger ales and an order of the smoked salmon tatties while we decide.”

The waiter looked at Bernard and nodded.

“I ordered a ginger ale at the bar, if you could move that tab over here please,” he smiled, feeling grown up.

“Very well sir,” the waiter said with a bow and left.

As soon as the waiter was gone Bernard turned to Amanda, and channeling his aunt Millicent said, “Eat. You have a long ride ahead of you.” His aunt Millicent was always trying to feed everyone, and having just come from staying with her, it was easier to just copy what he figured she would do.

“I, I didn’t realize it would be so expensive,” she murmured, looking tiny and sad.

“I’ve got it covered,” he smiled, putting his ring back on. “Even if it comes to more than I have on me. This covers anything I need.”

She looked timidly over at his hand and startled, looking at him in awe.

“That’s why those women were after me. I still had it on when they met me at the bar,” he admitted, shrinking back down at the memory.

She made a face and nodded in realization. “Mankey slags,” she murmured under her breath.

“I didn’t even think about it,” he admitted. “It’s just a part of who I am, like being big for my age. But then I just got it this summer, and I’m also usually not alone. This holiday is the first time someone hasn’t gone with me, and I didn’t leave my compartment on the ride there. I’ll get used to it.”

“Is that why you went to the bar?” she teased. “Taking advantage of people thinking you’re older than you are?”

“No,” he said surprised. He then ducked his head and turned a little pink. “To be honest, it never even occurred to me to do so.”

She couldn’t help but laugh at his innocence.

“Besides, I need to be sharp. Alcohol makes you stupid and vulnerable.”

“True,” she said, impressed.

They both turned their attention to the menu, so they were distracted when the two women from the bar came over and sat down with them.

“Who’s your little friend?” the one woman asked as Bernard cringed away from her, but you could hear the disdain in her voice.

“A… A… Amanda,” Bernard stumbled.

“What are you like twelve?” the second woman asked Amanda disparagingly.

“Maybe he prefers someone within twenty years of his age.” Amanda smirked.

“Just how old do you think I am?” The woman retorted, glaring threateningly at Amanda.

“I don’t know, at least thirty-five,” Amanda said with mock appraisal, obviously putting on false confidence.

“I know how to do things you don’t even know exist, missy.”

“I don’t doubt it,” Amanda returned, acting like she was going to be sick.

“Are you covering the alcohol tab also?” the waiter asked Bernard when he returned with their ginger ale. He stood assessing Amanda skeptically and trying to decide how to handle the situation.

“He’s eleven!” Amanda answered incredulously. “I doubt it.”

The waiter looked at Bernard in shock as Bernard nodded timidly.

“She’s two years older than me,” he admitted.

Both women looked like they had just been slapped and the waiter’s whole demeanor changed.

“Would you like me to get security?” he asked Bernard, eyeing the women with disgust.

“That’s up to them,” Amanda answered for him and raised her eyebrows at the women.

The women were quite rushed in their departure.

“Pervert,” the one threw at him in parting.

“Erm, caldron…” Amanda snorted, pointing at the woman, "tea kettle..." she mocked, pointing at Bernard, "black?"

The waiter stood defensively, trying not to laugh.

“Thank you!” Bernard gushed to the waiter. “Do you know what you want?” he asked Amanda, setting his ring hand on the table. She had been so strong and cheeky with those women, he’d have bought her the whole dining car if she wanted it.

She glanced over and took a deep breath, then nodded and ordered.

For the first time since he had boarded the train, Bernard was able to relax as he settled into a delicious meal with a new friend."
© Copyright 2020 M. L. Marty (m.l.marty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229293-Bernard