*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237809-I-Forgot--and-for-good-reason
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2237809
Some thing are just more important!
"Roger, you are such a dear to go shopping for me. These cookies have gotten the best of me. Over ambitious you know."

"Yes dear, I do know, it happens every year. What I don't understand is that you and everyone else in the family are always on a diet and yet you insist on making platters of cookies."

"For heaven's sake Roger, you just don't understand the spirit of holidays. There are certain things we do; well, just because."

"Ha, that's a good one. I think you just want to torture yourself. Whatever, a happy wife is a happy life. What do you want from the store?"

"I've told you twice, didn't you write it down?"

"No, sorry."

"Let me make a list then."

Sally handed the grocery list to Roger who was patiently waiting at the kitchen table."

"Here's the list, now don't just get any old apples, look them over, I'll need all of them for the pie."

"Got it. My that's a long list, I thought you said it was a couple of things. I might be a while, I've got a few errands of my own."

"Just make sure you're back here on time for supper, I don't want it to get cold."

"Not a problem, see you later."

Sally watched him out the window as he got into his truck. She loved this big man as much as the first day she laid eyes on him. They had a good marriage, raised a family, and now enjoyed their empty nest together.

Finally on the road, Roger decided to stop at Fred's for a second to see about their upcoming hunting trip. He found Fred in his favorite chair in the garage cleaning his guns.

"What's up big guy?"

"Not much, doing a little shopping for the old lady. Thought I'd stop and see if you were packing for the hunting trip next week."

Looking down the barrel he replied, "Almost, once these are done. I've been thinking about getting a new one. There's a big sale going on down at Smithy's."

"You don't say, humm, I didn't know that."

"Yup, I've got a little money put away that the wife doesn't know about."

"Maybe I'll take a little look on my way to the store. Not that I'm in the market for anything."

"Whoa, you have a squirrel's nest too?"

"No, not really but it doesn't hurt to look, does it?"

"Not when it comes to men's toys if you know what I mean. To my wife, one gun looks just like another."

"Nah, I couldn't do that to Alice, we don't keep secrets. Listen, I've got to run, see you next week."

"OK Roger, sweet freedom is right around the corner. See ya!"






© Copyright 2020 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2237809-I-Forgot--and-for-good-reason