*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238231-Pop-Goes-the-Weasel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #2238231
It's him...
"It can only be him." Samantha started, pacing the length of the room. A wide smile started spreading across her face.

"Who?" Kaylie asked, leaning forward eagerly.

"It just makes sense. He was there. He had the freaking murder weapon in his bag!" Samantha stopped short in front of Kaylie. "How didn't I see it sooner?!" Her smile was almost ear to ear, her eyes triumphant and certain.

"Goddammit, Sam! Who?!" Kaylie exclaimed, her excitement rising. She no longer would need to fear her life when walking down the hall, knowing there was one so lethal amongst them.

"It can only be… It has to be…" Sam stumbled over her words, trying to push them into her friend's ears. "Kay, it's-" she stopped short, her smile faltering. Samantha's spin jerked into a straight and her eyes snapped to the wall above Kylie's head.

"Sam?" Kylie got up from the edge of the bed. "Cmon, Sammie. Who is it?"

She gently shook her friend's shoulder. Samantha's eyes remained fixed on the wall, seeing nothing that was happening in this world, but almost looking as if she saw everything. Her neck suddenly ticked to the side, tipping her head to list her red ponytail off of her shoulder. She stood frozen like that, with her eyes staring straight ahead, seeing nothing, her head tipped onto her shoulder, the rest of her body ridged before she started to hum. The tune was familiar. They had sung that song countless times as children whilst braiding each other's hair in the barn. Samantha's voice was missing its usual loud, bold, confidence. Her humming was soft and Kaylie held her breath so as to catch every note. When she finished the tune, her neck snapped straight up and she began to sing the words. Slowly drawing each sound out, so as to be sure that nobody nearby would miss it.

"All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought 'twas all in good fun…" Her words trailed off for a split second, leaving the last line in the air before her eyes snapped to Kaylie's, seeing again. Her eyes widened, filling with fear that ran an icy finger down Kaylie's spine as well. "Pop goes the weasel," Samantha whispered as if the words were a plea. A plea for her life. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head, her mouth opening in a silent scream and she collapsed into the floor, writhing in pain, her head tilted back into the carpet, her scream pointed to the ceiling, yet no sound escaped her. Kaylie watched her friend collapse. She saw Samantha's silent pain, felt the sudden chill in the air. She turned to the doorway, where she knew she'd find him. Kaleb. She glanced back at Samantha, who suddenly went still, every muscle tense.

"Might wanna be careful where you talk." The murderer said before Kaylie's eyes rolled into the back of her head and her head tilted back in a silent scream before she collapsed to the floor, writhing in agony.
© Copyright 2020 Avari W. (a.wall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238231-Pop-Goes-the-Weasel