*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238844-Sample-Chapter-One-of-My-Unnamed-Novel
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #2238844
This is just a sample of the first chapter of my novel as well as a rough draft.
Ch.1
Christy sat on her favorite boulder that rested on the edge of her family’s land and the woods that surrounded her house, trying to read a book while taking in the last bits of sunlight that was filtering in over the trees. She loved coming out here when the pack was getting ready to go for a hunt.
The house was just too noisy and was a painful reminder that she hadn’t had her first turning yet. She was getting close to the age when she might never have a turning. Standing at a proud 5’9”, she was the tallest, and the oldest, of her three siblings, all of which were triplets. She was the only girl out of the three though and looked nothing like her brothers. Her two brothers, Luke and Axle, looked like exact copies of one another with their bleached blond hair, blue eyes, and tan, sculpted surfer bodies. She had blondish brown curly hair that fell down to right below her shoulder blades. Her eyes were a greenish-blue and looked like jewels when the light hit them just right.
Christy took after her mom when it came to looks, but took after her dad when it came to personality. The boys were super outgoing and extroverted whereas she was more mellow and introverted. She enjoyed her alone time. She and her dad would sit on the exact same bolder and read for hours whenever he had free time. That was their own little ritual they did together as father and daughter. You couldn’t tell by looking at them, but Christy’s family wasn’t like every other family.
They all looked and acted normal on the outside, but they came from a long line of werewolves. Her parents were werewolves, as well as her brothers. Almost all of her friends were and everyone in that was in her house were. She could trace her bloodline all the way back to the first people who were blessed by the moon goddess with the ability to change. Not only that, but her parents were the alphas of the pack. She was next in line to be pack alpha, that is if she turned.
Almost all purebloods had their first turning when they were 18. There were quite a few like Christy that didn’t turn when they were 18. Most of the time, though, they eventually had their turning within a few years. There were even fewer that didn’t turn at all. No one knew why there were some that didn’t turn at 18 when most did. All anyone knew was that if you didn’t turn by the time you were 30, you were never going to be a werewolf no matter how hard you wished for it. Until then they were assigned to take care of the pups and the pack house with the omegas while the pack was gone.
Christy heard the all too familiar howl of her father and got up from her seat to head back to the pack house for her shift with the pups. She jogged back across the one-acre land to her house and climbed up the stairs to the back porch and was met by her parents waiting in wolf form. She gave a small bow of acknowledgment and respect before looking towards their paws. When in their wolf form, she could not look her parents in the eye and come off as challenging them.
“You are late Christy!” Her father said telepathically.
“Sorry father” She spoke. “I got to a good part in my book and lost track of time.”
Eyeing her book, her father took note that the bookmark was in the same spot it had been when she left to go read, but he made no comment on it. He knew she had been thinking about her situation and what she would have to do if she didn’t turn. That was on her mind a lot with her birthday just around the corner. She hid the worry and stress from her dad well when he was in human form, but when Eric, or Lucas as his wolf was called, was in his wolf form, he could sense it. So could Lucy. They both gave each other a quick look before facing Christy.
“How long will you and the pack be gone?” she asked
“Your mother and I will be gone for 2 weeks, your brothers and the pack will be gone for 3 days at the longest but will try to be back in a day. We have to meet with the other pack alphas for our ‘Full Moon Meeting’. The pack knows we will be gone, that is why they are trying to get back as soon as they can. Until we get back, you are Alpha, your word is law. You know what to do.” Her father told her.
“Yes, Father,” she said as she got to one knee and bowed her head.
He pressed his head against hers and held it there.
“I love you no matter what, my little bookworm.” He whispered.
“I love you too” She whispered back.
He let out a little huff of a laugh. That was his way of cheering her up and letting her know that she would be okay without talking about the subject. Then her mother came up and put her head against her head.
“You are my beautiful woman. I love you, my child. We will be back as soon as we can. Make sure your brothers don’t cause too much trouble while we are gone.”
“Yes mother” A smile creeping onto Christy’s face, catching what her mom was hinting at.
Her brothers were known to stir things up with the pack. There was a reason her dad left her in charge even though she was just a human at the moment. Luke and Axle could never stay out of trouble and didn’t care that their parents were the Alphas. It was almost like they wanted to see how far they could push the limits of what they could get away with and any mishap could almost always be traced back to them. You wouldn’t think that they were grown men by what they did. You definitely couldn’t tell that they were almost 30 by the looks of them. All three siblings were lucky enough to look younger than they were. Christy looked the youngest out of the 3 of them. But she didn’t let that stop her from being the responsible one.
Her parents took their leave and ran across the lawn in the direction that she came from and disappeared into the woods. She got up and walked into her home which was also the pack home even though most of the pack had their own homes and only came for meal times and pack hunts. It was where the pack left the pups and as she entered the kitchen from the side door, she was greeted with the sounds of children laughing, running, and playing. It was going to be a long week without the Alphas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The pack came home a day earlier than expected which was always a welcomed surprise in Christy’s book. The pups were more unruly than usual and it took a lot more out of her than she expected. The pack slowly filed into the house in human form, parents looking for children and everyone forming small groups in the pack meeting room. Christy took note of this as well as how tense the pack seemed after coming back. She searched for her brothers, hoping that they would be able to clear this up and even lighten the moon with some of their jokes.
It took her a bit to find them because of the small crowd of people coming in and that her brothers were the last to enter, but when she did manage to find them, she noticed that they were just as tense as the rest of those who hadn’t taken young pups home. She knew something was up. Why else would the dynamic duo come walking in with the sternest of faces?
“We have to go to dad’s office right now!” Axle told her telepathically before she reached them. She made a beeline to the office and met the boys at the door. She pulled out a set of keys and unlocked the door to their dad’s office. She, Luke, and Axle all walked and she shut the door behind them and locked it, even though she knew that no one would come in and interrupt them.
“What’s going on?” She asked as she sat down in her dad’s chair.
“We picked up a scent that was unusual,” Luke replied
“What kind of scent?”
“It was his. We sent a beta to warn mom and dad. Figured they would want to be home as quickly as they could.”
“Good. They do need to be here. Axle, you are in charge of setting up patrol rotations. I want to know as soon as he or our parents arrive. Hopefully, they come before he does. Luke, you will be on security in the house. Make sure that surveillance is up and running smoothly. Also, make sure that I know when something happens or is spotted on surveillance. And get guards on patrol here and at the edge of our territory.” She said as she massaged her forehead.
This was the exact problem that she was hoping would never happen, at least not while her parents were away. She knew that the meeting of the alphas was not one that her parents could leave if something came up. Her parents would have to ask permission from the Supreme Alpha and he would have to deem it worthy of being dismissed. From what she knew of the Supreme Alpha, her parents were going to have a hard time with that, but she couldn’t worry about if her parents were going to get the okay to leave. She had to focus on keeping the pack safe until they did come.
Luke and Axle both nodded and walked out of their dad’s office, heading in separate directions to get going on their assignments. Christy logged into her dad’s office computer (he had set up an account for her so that way she could use it while he was gone) and sent out an email to everyone in the pack that they would be having an emergency meeting in 2 hours and everyone was required to show up. She also sent out a text to make sure that no one could say they didn’t know. She, then, preceded to open the banished file on the computer that her dad made in order to remind herself what she might be dealing with.
This was the first time she had to deal with a loner coming back to the pack. Loners, once they were banished from the pack, were never allowed to live or hunt in the pack’s territory unless the pack alpha approved it and Christy had known of only one loner that had been banished during the 27 years that she had been alive, she knew very well her dad had told this loner to never come back so there was no reason for her uncle to be here.
© Copyright 2020 Christy Shay (christyshay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238844-Sample-Chapter-One-of-My-Unnamed-Novel