*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238949-Salvation-ofthe-Kingdom-from-the-Shadows
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2238949
Elisia the sole heir to the throne of Azlerfan will have to fight for that birth right.
The light of the new morning slowly enveloped Elisia's room. Bringing the warmth of a new day, but not really for Elisia as always, she was mostly bedridden always having been sickly from a young age. Elisia slowly slid her legs off the edge of her bed resting them on the cold floor staring at her toes for a moment before standing the servants help her get bathed and dressed for the day and with that she heads to the hall to get food feeling much better today than of late sitting in the dining hall with her father is Solomon Canmore the father of her closest friend

"Ah Princess, Come to join us?" Solomon spoke when he noticed her arrival. Elisia smiled softly continuing into the hall to greet her father who pulled her up into his lap

"How are you feeling today my dear?" Her father questioned placing his hang to her forehead. Elisia laughed and swatted at his hand "Father I feel fine today" she spoke sliding off her fathers lap and up into her own chair

"Good morning Mr. Canmore" Elisia said sweetly as she settled fully into her chair startled by the abrupt laughter from Solomon

"Princess I've told you since you were 5 when I met you its Solomon, Speaking of which you're 10 now?"

"I'm 11 now. " Elisia piped up after swallowing her food. They both smiled at her before continuing to talk amongst themselves for a moment when Elisia was done she asked to be excused

"Is Leone here with you?" She asked softly. Solomon nodded gesturing towards the gardens. Elisia ran off towards the gardens to find her friend leaving her father and Solomon to talk about business and catch up. Rounding the corner towards the garden Elisia saw who she was looking for Leone Canmore he was standing with his back to her looking at some of the flowers in the garden. His black hair was a bit longer than last time, his skin more bronzed than ever before.

"LEONE!" Elisia yelled, running towards him. Leone barely turned in time to catch Elisia in a hug His amber eyes met hers. As always they were bright and happy, the gold within them shining bright. He was much taller than the last time they saw each other 3 years ago.

"Sia how are you?" He asked holding her for a moment before releasing her. Elisia pushed her long rosy locks away from her face smiling brightly

"Good, I'm feeling much better now the new medicine is helping. What brings you back here?" she spoke meeting his amber eyes with her cerulean blues. Leone guided her to the bench amongst the flowers he placed a flower in her hair behind her ear. A bright blue one that matched her eyes.

"Father came to talk to the King about some stuff he came across on his travels to all the outposts and to ask his blessing for another trip." He spoke looking at his hands

"Are you leaving again?" Elisia asked, unable to keep the sadness out of her voice. Leone touched her hand softly, the warmth of his hand spreading to hers.

"It's my job to go with him from what I know this will be our shortest trip yet." He said, raising his eyes back to hers to see a small smile come across her face.

"Well that's good at least. Hey Leone?" She leaned her head against his shoulder

"Hmm?" he looked down at her leaning on him

"We'll be together always right." She questioned touching the flower in her hair

"As long as you want me around I'll always be around or come when you need me." He said softly looking up to the sky

"Well good cause as the Princess of this kingdom I hereby order you to be bound to my side until the end to protect and serve me." She spoke with the confidence of a Queen. Leone stood abruptly nearly causing Elisia to fall; she caught herself barely; she sat up ready to scold him when she saw him down on one knee in front of her bowing down.

"I Leone Canmore vow that I will protect and serve you till the day I die." He spoke with confidence and truth. He raised his eyes to the bright blue eyes of his princess and noticed the small tear forming in her eyes.

"Your Highness, Leone your presence has been requested by the King." A servant spoke from the edge of the garden. Leone stood offering his hand to the Princess and they went to the hall to meet with their parents. Upon entering the hall King Auberon and Solomon were still seated at the table Elisia left them as they were still in deep discussion till they noticed the children. They both turned their heads to meet the gaze and the gesture for them to join them. Elisia took the seat beside her father, while Leone sat next to his father.

"Now that Leone has reached the age of 13 it's time to begin his training. With your blessing I plan to bring him back to our home village of Cazia in the mountains in the East to begin his 5 year training. Solomon spoke directly to Auberon.

"5 years?!" Elisia's sudden outburst caught everyone's attention her father narrowed his eyes at her she lowered her head and went silent upset about losing her friend for such a long period of time.

"I see. Well I hope you will both be returning after your training has concluded." Auberon spoke evenly

"Yes of course after we return Leone will be fully trained and will be succeeding me as head of the guard." Solomon responded looking proudly upon his son.

"Well I wish you good luck until your return." Auberon spoke rising from his chair nodding to each of his guests before leaving " Elisia after they leave you need to go get checked out again to make sure you're still doing well." and with that he left the room Elisia stood when Solomon and Leone did no one got a chance to say anything before Elisia hugged Leone He embraced her before pushing her back to arm length holding her there.

"It will be over before you know it. Remember the promise I made you. Ill be back soon." Leone said before releasing Elisia's shoulders, tears streaming down her face. Solomon stepped forward kneeling in front of her.

"We will both return soon it may not take the full time but I wanted to be sure we had enough time. I will be sure you receive a letter when we start our journey back." Solomon placed a hand on her shoulder as he spoke making eye contact. Elisia nodded through her tears before wiping them away and sniffling. With that they both left Elisia went to have her condition checked out watching Solomon and Leone leave on horseback with a few other guards on horseback.Elisia touched the flower placed in her hair by Leone fighting back more tears.

"I'll always remember your promise, Safe travels."

After that the medicine was hit or miss. Most of the time it was a miss and she spent a lot of time in bed. Weeks blurred into months, into years. By time 5 years had passed Auberon had started to bring up marriage with the prince of the neighboring kingdom Kazred stating at a union between Azlerfan and Kazred would bring an abundance of exceptional opportunities. Elisia wasn't very interested, she had met prince Ciaran a few times before. He was awful, just not her type she assumed. Ever since the day it had been 5 years she would sit in her window watching and waiting to see Leone come back a full fledged warrior, but he hadn't appeared and she hadn't gotten any news as to when they would return. She had written plenty of letters to Leone so many in fact that she was limited to sending them out only twice a month and she even had her father double the pay of the messenger and better accommodations for his horse to ensure her letters arrived properly. Even with all that she has yet to receive a response.

"Princess, are you ready for your bath, it's almost time for bed." a servant spoke up from behind her

"I suppose, thank you I can handle it from here." Elisia spoke walking toward the bath

"But princess with all due respect-" Elisia cut the servant off

"Nina. I can handle it, I promise if you would like you can lay out my clothes but i'd like some time alone. If I need any help I will call." Elisia smiled lovingly at Nina, the woman who has cared for her since her mother passed and even before then. Nina bowed her head and excused herself, leaving Elisia alone with her thoughts. Since Solomon has left with Leone there has been plenty coming trying to claim the title of Head of the guard to get closer to the royal family. All have been turned away, that position belongs to the Canmore family specifically Leone once he returns.

"If he ever does." Elisia sighed sinking into the water enjoying the warmth thinking about everything that has happened recently. On the days she felt well she was appearing at important meetings, upholding herself to the standards her mother set for her before she passed. Doing all the work and duties required of a princess. Elisia ran her hand through her long red hair which now went down near her knees. She admired it silently thinking of her mothers who was just as bright and just as long. Elisia cleaned herself before getting out drying herself before getting into her nightgown and crawling into bed. Elisia woke to a bitter taste in her mouth as well as 2 figures she could make out in the moonlight from her window. Her eyes widened in panic, she opened her mouth to scream but a large hand covered her mouth brown eyes so dark they were nearly black stared into hers.

"Now Now Your Highness we can't have you raising an alarm." The man spoke a voice Elisia had never heard before. Elisia tried to pull away but her body wasn't working properly. The taste still in her mouth reminded her of the bitterness from the medicine she's been taking nearly all her life. Was whatever she had been given always been in the medicine she received had that been the cause of her sickness. Her thoughts started to fade as did her vision. She felt the hand move from her mouth and a cape was wrapped around her with the hood pulled down. She could feel the cold air against her legs as she was lifted over someone's shoulder. Her vision would clear every once in a while she could see the halls and the lanterns on the wall through all the muddled thoughts and her vision she heard a gasp and a clatter she barely raised her head to see Nina who had to have been on her way to Elisia's room the kidnapper turned sword in hand and swung Nina's blood splattered across the hall. Elisia felt something warm on her cheek and it dripped onto her arm. Blood a droplet of blood rolled down her arm like a tear. She watched Nina fall to the ground eyes open almost staring through her. A noise pierced the air, Elisia realized it was her. Her shrieks of agony filled the halls; anyone would have heard her within the walls Elisia was knocked unconscious shortly after, as her kidnappers attempted to make their escape. With Elisia dangling almost lifelessly the kidnappers attempt their escape which is now much harder due to her raising the alarm. They make it out of the castle unharmed having avoided being seen but the longer they stay the more likely they are caught they move through the shadows heading for their horses they left just beyond the tree line.

"There they are! Be careful not to injure the princess!" Guards shout from the wall having spotted the kidnappers with the princess in tow. Arrows strike the ground near them warning shots no doubt the kidnappers take to the woods attempting their escape one of the men screams in agony as an arrow pierces his shoulder narrowly missing the princess the other catches one in his leg they make it to their horses mounting the one holding the princess lays her across her lap they take off heading north towards the Dunrock river. The guards on horseback give chase not willing to lose their princess. The moonlight as their guide the captors race through the trees bleeding profusely from their wounds and the new ones from the trailing guards the river now in sight and the guards still a quarter mile behind the men raced towards the river while crossing through the river an arrow whizzed passed the man scaring his horse who reared up nearly dislodging its rider but unbeknownst to the rider it managed to dislodge Elisia who wrapped in a dark cloak disappeared into the black water of the river floating just below the surface being carried by the current the attempted kidnappers made it through the river and continued not realizing their missing cargo until it was too late to turn around with the guards hot on their tails they continued cutting their losses favoring their life. Elisia, still unconscious, continued to float downstream towards the ocean.
© Copyright 2020 Shelby V. (spitfirequeen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238949-Salvation-ofthe-Kingdom-from-the-Shadows