*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242045-The-Remote
by Con
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2242045
When a mysterious remote that arrives in the mail can control humans, what will Jack do?
It was a bright summer day, a day of warmth and colour. A day where the birds chirp, the wind rustles, and the clouds make funny formations. The day my life started.

I was cooking breakfast, as usual. Eggs and bacon on toast, nothing better. I get a ring on the doorbell. Surprising, as no one I know was coming over. I peek out the window like a child, eagerly awaiting something. I see a postman walk away and get on his bike.

You see, I don’t have a lot of friends. My parents are generally the only people that come to my house, as they live close by. Most of my close friends moved, leaving me behind. Of course, they have families too.

I open the package. There is a letter, unsigned. Strange, I think as I open the letter, which reads “Dear Jack. In this package contains the most ingenious of human invention. And you, can be my field tester. Just place it back next week for collection. By for now!” I swallow an egg whole as I open the last wrapping. Inside, I find what looks like a TV remote. “Is this a joke” I say to myself, waving the remote and pressing the power button jokingly. I hear a thump of what sounds like my wife dropping something. “Are you alright?” I call, but get no answer.

I run up the stairs, wondering what could have possibly happened. I see my her in her dressing gown, looking like she just woke up. Except she’s lying on the floor, unmoving. “What happened?” I ask, accidentally pressing the power button on the remote. She instantly gets back up, all groggy eyed. “Why do you have a TV remote in your hands” she says, walking off to get breakfast. A smile creeps up my lips. This remote may not control my TV, but it sure as hell can control humans!













© Copyright 2021 Con (connmanjoey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242045-The-Remote