*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2244593-Beginnings
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2244593
Flash Fiction
Beginnings

“So, Gram, how did you and Grampa meet?”

“That was a long time ago.”

“But you must remember, right?”

“Well, you know us old people. Our memories are not what they used to be.”

“I don’t believe you don’t remember how you met the love of your life! Come on tell me!”

“Yes, Honey, tell her about it,” Grampa said from the doorway.

She squinted at him, “Why don’t you tell her about it, you were there.”

“Fine! I will!” he said, settling into a chair. “Me and my friend Jack were coming home from Boston, and we were gonna drive by our friend Steve’s girlfriend’s house so we decided to stop in and say hello.”

“Notice Steve wasn’t with them...” Gram added.

Gramp just ignored her and continued, “Gram was there at Steve’s girlfriend, Barbara’s house. Gram was pretty cute. Thought I’d see if she’d go out with me. So, when I got home, I called and asked Barbara if she thought her friend would go out with me, apparently, Gram was still there.”

“And she said yes?”

“Well... Barbara asked her, kinda off to the side, but I could hear everything they were saying. ‘Do you want to go out with John, the guy who stopped by today?’

“And she said yes!”

“No, she said, ‘the tall one?’ and then Barbara said ‘no, the other one...’”

There was a burst of laughter! “No!”

“Well,” Gram said, “I was just trying to figure out which was which! Jack was six foot six! But I couldn’t very well call Gramp the short one, could I? He was over six feet himself!”

“Six two to be exact,” Grampa said.

“Plus, you’re the one who ended up with me,” Gram said.

“That I did, love” Gramps smiled, “that I did.”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2244593-Beginnings