*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2249307-Best-Shopping-Trip-Ever
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2249307
Flash Fiction
Best Shopping Trip Ever

“How old are you?” a small voice came from down near my feet. I’d been waiting my turn in line at the returns department of the store. I hate shopping, and I hate returning things only slightly less than I hate trying on things in a store.

I looked down and two large blue eyes looked up at me from a small round head covered with messy brown hair. It seemed to be a boy, though I wasn’t sure, and there seemed not to be an adult with it.

“Excuse me?” I said.

“Did you burp?” the small being asked.

“No, no. People sometimes say that when they don’t understand why you are asking a question.”

“Oh. I just wondered how old you were, because you look about five hundred.”

“Oh. Well, I am not five hundred yet. How old are you? You look to be about sixty?”

The small being laughed, “I’m not sixty yet! I’m not even five yet!”

“Oh, well you look quite good for not five yet. You must take quite good care of yourself,” I said, “perhaps your mother has helped? Where is she?”

“She’s at home, my Dad’s here with me. He’s over there looking at fishing stuff.”

Suddenly a voice called “Danny! Get over here!”

“Is that your Dad?” I asked.

“Yeah, I better go. It was nice talking to you.”

“It was nice talking to you too. You keep taking good care of yourself, you’re doing a good job.”

“You too! Bye!” Off he went.

I got all my money back, and got my dress in the right size. Plus, I had a lovely conversation, made a new friend, and I got to feel young again, all in one fell swoop. All in all, it was probably my best shopping trip ever.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2249307-Best-Shopping-Trip-Ever