*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252731-Red-Sweater---300-Words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2252731
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge 6/18/21
The rain hammered the window to her left as she lay in bed staring at her ceiling, her mind in turmoil. Preferring to keep to herself, performing well above average, and never sticking her neck out for anyone – not even herself. Never had she dealt with a situation like this before. Never had work and morality collided so completely.

The ceiling offered no solution, but she didn’t really expect one. She continued her gaze most of the night, anyway, just in case.

After the restless night, dressing almost dazed and automatically, she paused at her red cardigan. Bold, it would do nicely. She placed it around her shoulders and made her way to her office.

Niceties at the coffee machine and a few minutes solace at her desk were all she achieved before the call came. Accepting the summons, she took a deep breath and headed towards the source of her anxiety.

Politely, she listened to the words she knew she would hear, the ones being repeated from the day before, the ones she requested the opportunity to think over. Once finished, she took a deep breath, straightened her shoulders, and began.

“I can’t express how much I appreciate this opportunity. I think I would excel at the role you are offering, and that you would be happy with my work while I grew from the challenges it would offer. However, I don’t believe I can accept it on the condition you made clear would be necessary.”

Resuming her polite smile, she listened to the response, said her thanks, and left the room.

In the bathroom, she splashed her face with cold water, dissipating the shock overwhelming her senses. She smiled at herself warmly in the mirror.

“I’ve never seen you before in my life, but I’m glad you’re here.”
© Copyright 2021 MisFortune73 (misfortune73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252731-Red-Sweater---300-Words